New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger fishing vic falls
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please could you recommend a guide for this? I will be in Zambia at the end of this month and would like to organise a couple of days on the tigers.

Thanks

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anything up there get in touch with Belinda Cooke of Thomas and Cooke Safari Co.

She is great and I am pretty sure her husband fishes there too.

http://www.thomasandcookesafarico.com

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
For anything up there get in touch with Belinda Cooke of Thomas and Cooke Safari Co.

She is great and I am pretty sure her husband fishes there too.

http://www.thomasandcookesafarico.com

+1.

We used her last year and she set a good fishing trip up for my Dad and I.

I think Candie Peters does that kind of coordination as well.

Belinda is a very nice, well connected lady.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack a thread, but possibly to compliment it, any recommendations on packable travel tackle for tigers?

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am interested in tackle suggestions.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Above the falls....mid-depth rapalas. Below the falls SPINNERS! Mepps or Fox. #3 & 4 Sling em' and bring em'. Just my experience, but I've had a lot.

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For any fly-fishers out there: large clousers worked well for me in the area above Vic Falls.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LeonK,what weight rod and type of line ?, have a trip booked through Belinda in August for our stop in Vic Falls. Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very curious how you do. I badgered my PH into some fishing for tigerfish in July a couple of years ago. He said it is a waste of time till the water warmed up. We caught some small fish for bait and didn't catch a thing. He said they don't bite till September or October. We almost got sunk by a hippo but no tigers. We were in the Zambezi River. Perhaps some shallower slower moving waters would have been better.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-5-0, Sorry for the delay in responding -- I guess I should check AR more often. In answer to your question, I didn't have a well-researched plan as to what set up would be most appropriate, and I just threw my regular "big bass" fly rod into the duffel on the off-chance we got to fish the Zambezi. So my set up really was hit or miss, without much study of the matter. I used a Scott 6 weight rod, loaded with Orvis Intermediate line, a 9 ft, 10 lb Rio Toothy Critter leader, and several big clousers. The 6-weight worked ok, but to be candid I didn't tie into any fish bigger than about 4 pounds. Next time, I'll probably bring a 7 weight, as well as a selection of large streamers. The intermediate fly line and the toothy critter leader seemed to work well.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've caught them on bait up to 14 lbs, but this is the ultimate-on the fly rod. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the info, wicked cool picture thanks for the post. Tried in Lake Kariba a couple of years ago, according to the guide it was mating season and they don't eat well with other things on their mind. Not sure I really bought it.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have a guy that I fish with up there. He is good and fishes full time. Joe works right out of Victoria Falls and has the right boat and gear, especially for Zimbabwe standards. I know people that have booked trips in the past to Zim. When they arrive they realize they are fishing out of a dugout. Not good with all of those Crocks and Hippos. PM me your email and I will send pictures. Some of the best fishing is right above the falls so you need to go with right person with appropriate gear. An anchor would not stop that current!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got to bring a fly rod next time I go.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Did you do any fishing?

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be there in late August after a hunt in Sango. Likely probably bring my own gear rather than take a chance on what's around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a recent update too. I keep thinking about trying to squeeze it in.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
This site has alot of good info for Tigers on the Fly..

http://www.tigerfishfrenzy.com/5flyfish.htm

October I'm gonna try for them near Kariba after I'm done hunting Ele.

Taking a Loomis 10wt with an Abel Super 10N, 300gr sinking line and a bunch of big Clousers..

Can't wait!!!!!!!! jumping

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, thanks great link, brief but complete. Love those Abels. Fly fishing is my love, but hunting is my passion.

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Sidinda camp in olate september october and nov is just spectaculareither with fly rod or spinning. Have not seen anything better in the zambeze. They get lots of SA anglers but I am sure would not mind some offshore bussiness

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote