Qatar Airways
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This has been making the rounds in European papers for quite some time, with some variations.

Sadly, they conveniently forget a few facts just to serve their own convoluted purpose.

I think both Qatar and the UAE have similar laws regarding employing foreigners.

The salary she mentions is categorically wrong, as it is well below the minimum et by the ministry of labor.

No one is forced to work, they are happy to come and do so because it affords them a much better life than they would have otherwise ta home.

All buildings - whether they house offices or accommodation - have a guard.

Employees do not allow non-relatives to stay at the employees accommodation, as all employers are required to provide accommodation for their employees. So anyone who might stay an someone else's place is out of a job.

And if one is out of a job, they are allowed one month visa to remain in country to find another job, or leave.

Once she has started dealing with his state of health and the rest of it, I have lost interest, as I KNOW she is lying.

No work permit is issued without the employee having full medical insurance

These are the laws that apply to foreigners coming to work in our part of the world.

And we like them this way.

We employ several hundred individuals, from all parts of the world, so I am well aware of what the laws are.

The laws requires us to provide full health insurance, a free air ticket for every employee to go home every two years. This is not negotiable, we have to provide it, or an employment visa will not be issued.

All employment agreements are made in 3 copies.

One copy goes to the ministry of labor, one copy is with the employer and one for the employee.

Any time the employee feels his agreement is not being complied with, he informs the ministry, and action is taken immediate to see if that is the case.

And I have not read a single article on this which actually tells the truth.

Sensationalism has taken over journalism.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Lets just say the labour laws in UAE and surrounding areas vary from most westernised countries.

Luckily there is a pool of uneducated and economically repressed labour willing to do such work as it is better than what is available in their home countries.

Expecting other countries to adopt weternised labour laws is just cultural imperialism. For those of us from afluent 'democratic' countries that enjoy high levels of education and access to advanced legal systems, some laws in third world countries and feudal societies like those in the UAE, appear to represent indentured slavery.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Code4:
Lets just say the labour laws in UAE and surrounding areas vary from most westernised countries.

Luckily there is a pool of uneducated and economically repressed labour willing to do such work as it is better than what is available in their home countries.

Expecting other countries to adopt weternised labour laws is just cultural imperialism. For those of us from afluent 'democratic' countries that enjoy high levels of education and access to advanced legal systems, some laws in third world countries and feudal societies like those in the UAE, appear to represent indentured slavery.

Funny you say that and you are from Australia.

I have had 2 employees who left to work in Australia, after they thought they would get a better jobs.

Both came back asking for employment again!!??

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Saeed, can you imagine the howls of rage from the political left if we in the US would adopt policies somewhat similar regarding border protection and immigration as most of the world's nations have? I suspect that there would be some protest from elements in the UAE if the US did that.

Heck, look at how mad they get when we want to try and put up a border fence!

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I find so sad that one of the Supreme Court judges making a statement that calling illegal immigrants criminals is wrong!!

What the hell can you call them then?

They are in your country ILLEGALLY!

Isn't someone who breaks into your house a criminal?

I have very simple rules for visitors to other countries, which I have been following throughout all the years I have been travelling.

When in another country, you are a GUEST in that country.

And behave accordingly.

I have travelled to many countries, lived in some for years, and have never, ever, got into any sort of trouble.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Following is another utterly stupid complaint about Qatar Airways!

All this silly bit about "sexism" is nothing but attention seekers!

When will they understand that men ARE different from women?

Norway's anti-discrimination ombudsman attacked Qatar Airways Tuesday after the carrier told women to attend a recruitment day in Oslo wearing short skirts.

Men, however, were asked to wear 'business suits', with the airline drawing sharp criticism for being sexist.

'We believe that it is contrary to law that there should be different clothing requirements for men and women,' Carl Fredrik Riise, an adviser for Norway's anti-discrimination ombudsman, told Norway's DN newspaper. 'It discriminates between applicants on the basis of gender.'

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

I have had 2 employees who left to work in Australia, after they thought they would get a better jobs.

That doesn't surprise me, standards are very strict here and if they didn't have the qualifications and experience, they can forget it.

Edit: I've been to Dubai and I have the qualifications to make good money there as a Paramedic, somthing I have considered, however I'm not prepared to give up the freedoms I enjoy here just to make a bit more money as a 2nd class person. The only advantage in working there is to be more central for international travel.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

That doesn't surprise me, standards are very strict here and if they didn't have the qualifications and experience, they can forget it.

Edit: I've been to Dubai and I have the qualifications to make good money there as a Paramedic, somthing I have considered, however I'm not prepared to give up the freedoms I enjoy here just to make a bit more money as a 2nd class person. The only advantage in working there is to be more central for international travel.

Talking of "freedoms" when the original export to Australia were hand picked by Her Majesty's Government sounds a bit rich rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
True, about 11% of Australians are decended from 160,000 Convict stock. The last to arrive were in 1886.

Since then, unlike the UAE, we have granted cheap foreign labour citizenship and not relied totally on expertise from western countries to build the place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Luckily there is a pool of uneducated and economically repressed labour willing to do such work as it is better than what is available in their home countries. Luckily there is a pool of uneducated and economically repressed labour willing to do such work as it is better than what is available in their home countries.

This is the definition of the UAE and Qatar given my time living there. And many held without passport upon arrival. I had high hopes with my assignment there, but no, not at all. Not even close.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone is in the country illegally, how is anything else they do legal? And, aren't they likely to commit other illegal, or at least dishonest, acts to keep from being deported?

I like UAE's approach to immigration and work visas. Wish we would do the same, but the Dims would never allow it -- their constituency don't you know.

Posts: 10381 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote