New
Find
Notify
Tools

travel to bulawayo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well it looks like I am going to have to travel to Bulawayo instead of Harare in August
I have done this flight with SAA several times, each time staying overnight in Jburg. With the new BS surrounding the SAPS and 4457 I am considering dong the flight on SAA from JFK to burg and then directly on to Bulawayo. There is about 2 hour layover in joburg and then onnwards. I have never done this flight as I always wanted to actually see my weapons at joburg.
Has anybody done this flight and have you had any problems or know of anybody with experience?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent, I've done it several times. It's nice because you avoid SAPS and the cost of a night's stay. As I remember, it leaves JFK late morning, and arrives in Jo'burg at 8:05 AM. Flights out to Zim, Namibia, Zambia, etc are 10-11 AM same day.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I am flying SAA in two weeks JFK to Johannesburg to Windhoek. A good friend recommended it(he has made 9 trips using this route)as opposed to spending the night in Joburg.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done that worked out well

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've done it but I would have an alternate plan to spend an extra night in Bulawayo in case your gun doesn't make the flight. It's very common that they don't get your gun case transferred. There were two of us flying into Bulawayo from JFK and neither of our guns made the flight. There was one gun case on the flight but it was for the hunter who had arrived the day before.

There's only one flight a day from Jo'berg and there's not a lot of time for the luggage to get transferred. SAA will be of no help trying to locate your gun case, they will just tell you to come back tomorrow. Luckily, the next day both of our gun cases came on the Jo'berg flight and I had planned for an extra day at the start of my hunt in case there were problems.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Two hours is kind of tight for the connection in Joberg. I've done the JFK to Joberg to Harare, Maun and Kasane in the same day with no problems. I try to have a min. of a 3 hour layover in Joberg.

I'm flying JFK to Joberg to Namibia in May. I could have booked a similar flight as yours with an approx. 2 hr. layover but opted for a later flight to Namibia with a five hour layover just to be safe. I'll pass my time in Joberrg in the Bidvest lounge.

Since you don't have the option of a later flight to Zim I think you did the right thing with an extra day in Bulawayo.

You might want to check with one of the permit services in RSA who normally handle SAPS stuff to see if they could do anything for you to make sure your guns/bags make the connection.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it!!

Courteous staff in JFK including Port Authority Police.
Two hours in JNB is plenty of time.Guns will make it ok.
Did this three times with nary a hiccup.

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate the plan for al the reasons you give for concern.

Fly Emirates from any major city to Dubai, connect to Harare. Overnight in Harare and take the 7am flight to Bulawayo.

You'll know your guns made it to Zim. If they get lost in Zim they are in Harare and there are two flights daily to fix it.

SAPS is a great way to ruin a Zim hunt!

This is exactly the plan I have in two weeks. Two years ago I did it your way and they lost my guns. Now they are saying they may not forward guns from SAPS to Zim and force you back to RSA to retrieve! Don't play with fire!

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
Well it looks like I am going to have to travel to Bulawayo instead of Harare in August
I have done this flight with SAA several times, each time staying overnight in Jburg. With the new BS surrounding the SAPS and 4457 I am considering dong the flight on SAA from JFK to burg and then directly on to Bulawayo. There is about 2 hour layover in joburg and then onnwards. I have never done this flight as I always wanted to actually see my weapons at joburg.
Has anybody done this flight and have you had any problems or know of anybody with experience?

Did it in 2015 no prob. And have already booked it again for August this year. When do you leave...might be on the same flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I believe i am going to book it today with free miles. I am allowing an extra day in bulawayo in case
Lane, i am flying over aug 23 back on sept 11

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You'll be arriving 3 days before I depart. Possibly could run into to you in Bulawayo but we will probably just miss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote