THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Overnight in Maputo...any experience?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overnight in Maputo...any experience?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks like I'm headed to Niassa in early September. Ultimately, I will be flying in to Lichinga but will have to overnight in Maputo en route. I'll likely fly from IAD to Maputo on Ethiopian Airlines and transit through Addis.

Anyone with any experience clearing their rifles and overnighting with them in Maputo? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to take my own rifles but am certainly open to using camp guns if this is a big headache.

Hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well. I am looking at Southern Sun and the Radisson Blu...

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No idea personally, but my suggestion is talk to whoever you are hunting with.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
No idea personally, but my suggestion is talk to whoever you are hunting with.

Yes, of course. I've had a few email discussions with the outfitter and will also meet up with them at DSC next month to go over the fine details. However, I would also appreciate the input from any AR members who have traveled this route (transiting Addis and overnighting in Maputo). There are many, many members here with far greater travel experience than myself and any advice would be very valuable. IMO the perspective of the traveling client is different than that of the outfitter on the receiving end in many cases so I like to gather as much intel as possible. Luck favors the prepared...

I should also add that my flight within Mozambique is from Maputo to Lichinga on LAM (stops in Kampula) and departs at 6:30 AM.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Southern Sun - manager is Mr Mark Loxley,passionate Land Rover driver, he will put you right. I know him from my time in Nigeria. Good guy. Can also arrange airport transfers if you ask.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t tried that route.

Mozambique is supposed to have become less of a log jam at customs and immigration than it was- but my arrival, with local help, took a couple hours. This was in ‘22.

My experience with Ethiopian is that while the airline staff are helpful and they run a good airline (not up to Qatar, but then…) is that Addis is a minefield for traveling with firearms. It’s not super common, so staff are not necessarily knowledgeable and the government folks are not very proactive. My experience was from hunting Ethiopia, not transiting, but there have been some horror stories about it here on AR.

Mozambique was very friendly with my experience, but my ability to speak Portuguese is nonexistent and unless you have a local, I’d assume you could get lost easily. I would not want to be driving around there after dark. Moz is not as developed as other African countries I’ve been to. Even Cameroon had more modern infrastructure.

Unless I was reassured by the operator that they can help you every step of the way in country, I would not want to try overnighting in Maputo with firearms by myself. I didn’t see a lot of roadblocks but I was only driving during the day.

I guess I’m seeing a lot of potential areas for trouble in your suggested itinerary.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give another thumbs up for the Southern Sun.
Stayed there a couple of nights a few years ago but not with guns.
My experience tells me that you definitely want a trusted airport transfer and interpreter as officialdom is going to try and skin you for whatever they can

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I haven’t tried that route.

Mozambique is supposed to have become less of a log jam at customs and immigration than it was- but my arrival, with local help, took a couple hours. This was in ‘22.

My experience with Ethiopian is that while the airline staff are helpful and they run a good airline (not up to Qatar, but then…) is that Addis is a minefield for traveling with firearms. It’s not super common, so staff are not necessarily knowledgeable and the government folks are not very proactive. My experience was from hunting Ethiopia, not transiting, but there have been some horror stories about it here on AR.

Mozambique was very friendly with my experience, but my ability to speak Portuguese is nonexistent and unless you have a local, I’d assume you could get lost easily. I would not want to be driving around there after dark. Moz is not as developed as other African countries I’ve been to. Even Cameroon had more modern infrastructure.

Unless I was reassured by the operator that they can help you every step of the way in country, I would not want to try overnighting in Maputo with firearms by myself. I didn’t see a lot of roadblocks but I was only driving during the day.

I guess I’m seeing a lot of potential areas for trouble in your suggested itinerary.

Your concerns precisely mirror my own. I'm confident I can get help from the outfitter while I'm on the ground in Maputo. But I can definitely see the transit through Addis not going well. I'm definitely leaning strongly towards the camp gun option at this point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie and JCHB...thank you for the recommendations for Southern Sun. I think that's the option I'm going to take. Actually, I have an overnight in Maputo both ways so I'm looking forward to some time on the beach and enjoying some prawns Cool