THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    TRANSITION THRU JOBERG ---SAPS REQUIRED?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TRANSITION THRU JOBERG ---SAPS REQUIRED?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
transition through Joberg on the way to Vic Falls before going to camp. Question is do I need to wrangle with the SAPS 520 and related BS. I am being told by travel agent that rifle is checked all the way to Vic Falls --- but ---agent not sure on why or if I need to have the SAPS 520 and pay the related costs.
Very confusing -- do have an 8 hour layover thus looking for lounge or ??

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your gun case is checked all the way through and you never have to claim,it I wouldn't think you would need anything....

A travel agent versed in African travel should know this.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Woodmnctry

8 hours is a long time for your luggage to sit in holding at joberg.

That is a long time for the workers in Joberg to have time to look through your bag and liberate any thing that is needed. There is no way possible for you to be able to keep your checked bag safe.

While your rifle case should be fine, your other checked bag will be gone through, so make sure that you do not have anything that you absolute need in your checked bag.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1577 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
That depends on your airline. If it's Qatar, and your VF flight is a code share, you will need a SAPS Transit permit in JNB and have to recheck your firearm. Qatar and Airlink computers are incapable and Qatar cannot make the computer entry into Airlink system. Be careful you really watch Airlink, they have a firearm fee and unless that paid in advance and the Long-haul carrier can make the Airlink Entry, you will have problems.

From a review I wrote last October of last year:
I booked my flights with Qatar, since they were the cheapest, and as a bonus, offered Avios points, which turned out to be a huge mistake. I sent my gun paperwork to Qatar, but they could never find the documents, despite sending it repeatedly to them about 10 times. I called the USA telephone number, only to speak with someone in India every time. I sent the documents to PFCdoh@qatarairways.com.qa and received an auto-response each time. On the phone, the agent told me the gun was showing on the reservation, not to worry. I asked for written confirmation and was told to use the chat. I used the chat and the gentlemen on the chat said not approved as your Qatar flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was on another airline. I tried for several days to resolve the issue and could not. I hired Debbie Gracy, from Gracy Travel International, to get approval. She was able to get the approval for the Qatar-operated flights in 2 days. The problem/holdup was that the flight from Johannesburg to Ndola was a code share and Qatar will not approve code share flights. Debbie contacted Airlink to get authority on that flight. I had contacted Airlink several months ago for authority and advance payment of the firearm fee, and they said that Qatar had to enter the gun into their system as it was sold by Qatar. Qatar could not enter the firearm into the Airlink system. Lesson learned: do not buy a code share flight on Qatar with a firearm.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OR!use a gun savvy travel agent such as Gracy etc.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
OR!use a gun savvy travel agent such as Gracy etc.

This!! Shawn at Gracy has made all my trips smooth and without issue!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It does not matter who you use if you are going to Mozambique!

Reports are saying the police are not issuing any permit to there!!??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eurowings (Luftwaffe side hussle) were flying to Vic Falls via Windhoek - we flew into there on the way to Kasane 18 months ago. You don't get off the plane in Windhoek.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not true its a false rumor going around, it seems!

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
It does not matter who you use if you are going to Mozambique!

Reports are saying the police are not issuing any permit to there!!??

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received this from PHASA earlier today regarding in transit permits to Mozambique. https://phasa.co.za/uploads/MO...-OF-EXPORTS-2024.pdf

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote