THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Traveling with a bow as carry on?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with a bow as carry on?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys I really need some ideas. I'm deathly afraid that my bow won't make it to joburg at the same time as I do if at all.

Can I take my takedown bow as a carry on, it fits within the size requirements. Basically the bow is inoperable if it's taken down and is nothing more than a piece of wood.

Can I carry arrows in the same bag as the bow

I'm damned sure I'll have to put the broadheads in my luggage and I'll seperate them between mine and the wifes in case one bag get's lost.

thanks

the chef

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
if you try this neither you nor your bow will make it out of the airport. just check it and run the same risk as the rest of us . more likely than not it will get there on time. this is an adventure not a shopping trip if your bow does not make it adapt overcome and have a great trip. good luck to you and show us some pictures when you get back.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't try it. Neither you nor your bow will make it. Play by the rules. And have a great trip.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm deathly afraid that my bow won't make it to joburg at the same time as I do if at all

In spite of what people write most bags do make it on the plane with you.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Please know that I am saying this in the most Christian way:
People like this are the ones that cause the rest of us all the trouble we have. He should be chained to the floor in the corner of a large government warehouse, naked, and thrown some dry dog food twice a week.

Gee whiz, can I take my unloaded rifle as a carry on? After all, it's just a piece of wood and steel.

My God.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trophyman:
Please know that I am saying this in the most Christian way:
People like this are the ones that cause the rest of us all the trouble we have. He should be chained to the floor in the corner of a large government warehouse, naked, and thrown some dry dog food twice a week.

Gee whiz, can I take my unloaded rifle as a carry on? After all, it's just a piece of wood and steel.

My God.

Trophyman

rotflmo Not a lot of common sense

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeeze what a touchy bunch. I asked if I could do it- I meant legally, if'n you can't understand that part.

I wasn't implying that I wanted to secretly stash in my carry on. I wanted to know if I could declare it and carry it on in my bag...just like my binoculars and laptop.

So get off your high horses, a simple answer is all I needed.

sheesh

the chef

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is NO you can't.

You'll have to take your bow and arrows as checked baggage in a hard case.

Hope that helps. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have answered my question Smiler

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
calgarychef1 I for one think your question was legitimate and reasonable. Prior to 911 I took my takedown recurve bow, arrows with broadheads removed, on several trips to Alaska as carryon baggage on major airlines. It was just a matter of declaring the bow and opening the case for the people to see that indeed no broadheads were included. Those were the good old days that are gone forever.

So today, no way. Good luck on your hunt and here is hoping all arrives in one piece at the same time you do.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calgarychef 1,,,Is your end destination Jobergh? If it is, and if this is your first trip there, your bow should come out along the back wall just like in a lot of North American airports where oversize luggage or golf clubs might come out. If you bow case looks alot like a gun case,,, you may have to go where the guns are checked through with all the permits, etc. This last August,, they sent my bows on to Windhoek, even though I was overnighting in Jobergh and I specifically did everything in my power to make sure I could keep them with me while I overnighted in jobergh. You guessed it, no bows and no luggage. I did bribe a guy and he found them in a secure holding area underground late that night but he could not remove them and bring them too me but I knew from his exact description they were there. The next morning they could not tell me if they were on the plane or not. When I arrived in windhoek they had come,, all my luggage, bows, clothes etc on an earlier flight and were just sitting there where anyone could of rolled them out of the airport. I think I was more excited to see thme sitting in the corner of the baggage claim area that morning than I was when the first big Kudu came in range. My long point here is,,, hang in there and I hope everything makes it. We pay our money and we take our chances....drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
calgarychef1 I for one think your question was legitimate and reasonable. Prior to 911

Well 9/11 was along time ago and just about everynight on the news they talk about airport security. How anyone at this time could ask that question is just F&^% amazing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calgary- I did it frequently before 9/11. What will happen now is you should declare it as a weapon and get it treated like a firearm. That is the best tracking. BA and Delta are really good with this. There is a way to check and make sure it is on the aircraft prior to takeoff; can't remember exactly what the procedure is. Perhaps someone can enlighten us...

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crane that isn't a bad Idea, I'd like to have extra tracking on it.

Tradewinds you might not realize I shoot a longbow so without the string it really is just three pieces of wood. As it is there isn't any requirement to declare it like I would a firearm-hence my questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
calgary - You must take some here with a grain of salt, some cannot even spell longbow, let alone have a clue what it is. Speaking of salt maybe tradewinds has been spending too much time with Jimmy Buffet and the margaritas latey??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Crane that isn't a bad Idea, I'd like to have extra tracking on it.

Tradewinds you might not realize I shoot a longbow so without the string it really is just three pieces of wood. As it is there isn't any requirement to declare it like I would a firearm-hence my questions.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked any bow, long, cross, compound, or otherwise is considered a weapon by the airlines and must be declared at check in. Whether it does not have a string still attached or has any other part removed that would make it non-lethal, does not re-classify it as something other than a weapon. IMHO, the best thing is to have it stored in a hard side, locked case, and checked.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Jeeezus guys, the list is right here:
http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travele...rohibited-items.shtm

Remember NEVER try to get a Snow-Globe past a TSA screener!

Enjoy

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collins thank you!!! Finally someone who can take the bull by the horns and provide the rulebook. I'm not as smart as I thought because I could have found it too, if I would have gotten off my arse and looked.

thanks eh!

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
No problem

Just don't point a Snow Globe at anything you don't intent to destroy.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I thought the reaction to the question was a bit extreme. We're just trying to share information here wave, not catch one another doing or saying something unenlightened.

Having said that, I did take my arrows as carryon post 9/11. One way.... Coming back they were quite clear about checking them. Even though these were shafts only, no field points or broadheads anywhere in the container, and the return airline was adamant that was a weapon. I cooperated, and then asked how they might be used as a weapon, perhaps wacking someone's hands for misbehaving? "They" were not amused.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
For what it's worth, I thought the reaction to the question was a bit extreme.

H T
A lot of people said "Prior to 9-11"..... Well, I couldn't take a gun onboard a plane prior to to 1873 either.

Duh.

Still a stupid question.

I can voice my opinion too.

Wheter you or anybody else likes it.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm getting a little peeved at the bashing for a simple question. I didn't know the answer and so asked here, because a lot of you guys have experience witht his stuff.

Trophyman aren't you the guy who asked if a 30-06 will kill a moose? Now that's a dumb question if I ever heard one hammering

Have a nice day anyway

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Huge difference between ignorance and sheer stupidity.

I was asking for some opinions, not a matter of law. Funny how you had the time to look up all my past posts but didn't have the time to look up the law and/or regulations from the government or the airlines.

Get a life.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI