THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    4457 & Firearm Without a Factory Serial Number

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4457 & Firearm Without a Factory Serial Number
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you have a custom built gun or a gun manufactured before 1968 that doesn’t have a serial number on it I know you can do the formal FFL transfer without any problems – have done two in the past with old pre 1960 Mossberg shotguns.

Questions are: a) Can you get a 4457 issued without a serial number? b) Has anyone successfully gotten in/out of any foreign country (to include Canada) and back into the US without being hassled because of not having a serial number on the firearm (presuming you were able to obtain a 4457) c) Should I take it to my GS and have some kind of ID number (not a serial number) engraved/stamped into it to facilitate obtaining a 4457 and foreign country temporary import permits?

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I tried to get a 4457 for an FN that had been rebarreled and the serial number had been on the old barrel not on the receiver. Customs would not issue the 4457 without some identification number on the rifle. That was in Houston, at some other office, who knows what the agent might be willing to do.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3taco:
Should I take it to my GS and have some kind of ID number (not a serial number) engraved/stamped into it to facilitate obtaining a 4457 and foreign country temporary import permits?

Yes, absolutely. Any number is good, as long as it is stamped and "permanent".

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Canada, where all firearms are registered (for our own good, of course Roll Eyes) guns without serial numbers are issued an identification sticker along with the normal ownership certificate. This small clear plastic decal bears the identification number assigned to the gun by the powers-that-be, and is supposed to be adhered to the gun in a visible location. I assume that if you bring a non-serialized gun into the country for hunting or other purposes, they will place the same set of hoops in front you and command you to "jump!"

I'm proud of my country, but I'm really getting tired of apologizing for my government.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

Thanks for the quick responses. I have been giving the “method” to use to put a permanent ID number on it some thought. Would just my name engraved on the receiver work or would it “need” to be an ID “number”?

If I have my GS “stamp” a number/name on it will it damage the bluing? There are a couple of places in the local area that offer Laser etching/engraving. Anybody know if this would damage the bluing? Might be neater/cleaner/less obtrusive appearing than die stamping would be. Guess I can wait till tomorrow and call them if someone doesn’t have first hand knowledge.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would find someone good with one of those electric engraving "pencils" and have a number put on the bottom of the barrel in front of the end of the stock.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have bolt guns so I have my # put on the tang so you have to remove bolt to see. I use my birthday on all my custom rifles. Never had a problem with any officals.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would just my name engraved on the receiver work or would it “need” to be an ID “number”?

No, put you initials and some numerig digits, eg A393X

Do not use Z and 2, O and 0, S and 5, 1 and I, B or 8, etc as these get screwed up on permits all too often. Use only uppercase characters and numeric digits that can not be confused or misinterpreted. And no spaces or special characters. (Eg OS5105S - is a BAD number ...)

quote:
If I have my GS “stamp” a number/name on it will it damage the bluing?

Not really. Keep it small and short - eg "WR93X" A GS that knows his stuff will tap it in in no time with no damage.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ever intend to bring your rifle to Africa, you need a number. Any number. But a number to be seen, and read, and carefully recorded in ink on all sorts of papers with rubber stamps.

You do not want to try and explain the unexplainable: in this world, firearms are created with a number, and the presence of the hallowed number in the right place always elicits a wide smile. The absence of the hallowed number would be a cataclysmic event, resounding deep in the sacred bureaucratic spheres, with incalculable repercussions.

Johan's advice is excellent.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
My rechambered Brno says .375 H&H on it. So, to avoid hassles I got ".375 WM" also engraved on it -- used the same folks my 'smith uses.

If you know the serial number from the barrel, why couldn't you get it re-engraved?
2 cents

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BNagel,

that will get you in trouble some day in Africa. They aren't bright enough to differentiate between those two numbers/calibers.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading several horror stories where all common sense goes out the window, I would counsel to choose your numbers wisely. If you randomly choose a series of numbers and letters and some overzealous Customs agent for some reason chooses to run the number through NCIC (as was reported a couple of years ago)and gets a match, you may get in dutch for possession of a stolen firearm.

Previous posts on AR have shown that just because the firearm description is entirely different - the number trumps all in the mind of a bureaucrat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact you can use your name for a serial number on a custom built weapon. Gary Reeder does it all of the time on his own custom built revolver actions. Of course, if the gun already has a S/N it can't be done. If I wanted a S/N of "Woody 007" that would be no problem.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
quote:
Would just my name engraved on the receiver work or would it “need” to be an ID “number”?

No, put you initials and some numerig digits, eg A393X

Do not use Z and 2, O and 0, S and 5, 1 and I, B or 8, etc as these get screwed up on permits all too often. Use only uppercase characters and numeric digits that can not be confused or misinterpreted. And no spaces or special characters. (Eg OS5105S - is a BAD number ...)

quote:
If I have my GS “stamp” a number/name on it will it damage the bluing?

Not really. Keep it small and short - eg "WR93X" A GS that knows his stuff will tap it in in no time with no damage.

Excellent advice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13416 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote