THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Traveling with a CPAP machine

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with a CPAP machine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted
For those of you who travel abroad and utilize a CPAP machine how do you carry it along? In the case that comes with it as your personal carry on item or in your regular carry on? Any problems with TSA in the carry-on? I will deal with this in June to RSA. Thanks so much in advance!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some will chime in but I seem to recall several posts in the past about CPAP machines. I would probably be worth a try to search CPAP to see what pops up.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM JudgeG....he brings one.

Posts: 20137 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I asked the same question about 1 1/2 ago and I will summarized on what I learned.

South African Airlines no electrical outlets in coach.

Delta Airlines have some electrical outlets in coach for economy comfort, Normally, they charge for an upgrade into economy comfort but call them and explain you have a CPAP and they will change place you in a seat that has an electrical extension.

Technically, dont use the humidifier if you have one on your cpap machine.

THe CPAP does not count toward your carryon.

No problems using it on plane

While in South Africa I used a power coversion adapter and the correct adapter for the plug.

If you are going to a place that does not have electrical power taled to the outfitter about getting a spare battery for you to run your machine. Pay for the battery and also you can get the adapters from radio shack. The adapters look like jumper caples. I am assuming your CPAP is DC capable.

Another method would be to look at solar chargers.

Any other questions PM me or JudgeG has more experiece than me.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the small Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries and used it with my ResMed S8 Elite on the plane last year (2012) on the 16 hour flight to SA (Jo-berg).

I didn't have any problems at all with domestic USA security or security in SA (*which was just delightfully easy). In the USA it's classed a medical device...

In short, I put the CPAP and the battery in a small carry-on bag under my seat, leaned the seat back, plugged in and pulled a blanket over my head. I got 8-straight hours of sleep and felt great.

Noone said a word and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please send me some info on the batt. I have a CPAP which is 12v. I am flying SSA to South Africa on April 23, 2013.
Thanks----

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I did indeed do a seach on CPAP and there are several posts on the subject.

Benefactor Member NRA

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
When traveling my dad switched to this plastic mouth piece that pulls his tongue forward. Works great! I won't let him travel with me without it! If he forgets it ill cut the bottom out of a coke bottle and cram it down his throat so I can sleep. Wink

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kudu4u

I'm a CPAP user and I did my 6th hunt in January where electricity was not available 24/7 in our accommodations. The small batteries are the only way to go. Some guys are fiddling around with 12 volt batteries but they are not the handiest things. I got everything from CPAP and I can use the small batteries, charge them from a wall socket or cigarette lighter in the vehicle and also if I need to use a 12 volt I can do that also. The whole outfit fits in my CPAP bag and presents no kind of issue while traveling or in hunitng camp.

I've recently run into a couple of hunters that don't take their CPAP on hunts and I just told them flat out that they were nuts. Why would you not want to get the best rest possible when your on an expensive hunt?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only "problems" I have had with CPAP have been minor. Sometimes TSA wants you to take it out of your carry on as with a laptop other times they've told me to leave it in the bag. I've never tried to use it on the plane though most of my more recent flights are short.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Mark, what kind of batteries did you use for your CPAP?

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CPAP is considered medical equipment and does not count against your carry on items. I have had air crews eyeball me but they have never stopped me in hundreds of flights. Be careful stowing it in the overhead because someone may be tempted to move it and drop it or just cram something hard against it and shove before slamming the door.

TSA is peculiar though. Every time I leave my home airport they take me aside and wipe down the motor part of the CPAP after it goes through X ray. Nowhere else I have ever been does that - not in the US or international.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot03,

I have a Res Med Auto Set II that I've been taking on hunts but it is a discontinued model so no more batteries are available for it through CPAP. I also have new Res Med S-9 that has a flat lithium battery. I just called Res Med and told them I wanted the whole kit that is compatible with S-9 and they sent everything. Just make sure they know you are going to charge the battery from a cigarette lighter because you'll need an invertor and the proper plugs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. One of these days I need to pickup another cpap.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which CPAP devices are best for travel? I'm going to the UAE for 6 weeks and would like something easier to travel with then my Fisher and Paykel ICON. TIA!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Provent for my travels to the bush. No electricity required. I will be the first to admit they may not be as good as a CPAP machine but they sure are easier to travel with and provide a decent nights rest.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I use Provent for my travels to the bush. No electricity required. I will be the first to admit they may not be as good as a CPAP machine but they sure are easier to travel with and provide a decent nights rest.

Ok, I might have to look into this. Nice pick!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - Provent?? Please enlighten and post more info on this for those of us less informed. Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

Please do enlighten us about the no electricity part. How does the pump work without electricity?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Provent has no moving parts, I explained this a year or so even sent JudgeG one to try. Provent looks like a band aide. Goodle Provent and there is a video that explains it.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all of the very helpful comments on this post!

Benefactor Member NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Provent explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfufUmxBbc

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote