THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Frankfurt layover for 10 hours - what to do?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frankfurt layover for 10 hours - what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
Assuming I get some sleep on the plane over, anything to do in Frankfurt for a 10 hour layover? Considering I'll technically get off the plane at noon and need to be back in line for Air Namibia 7.5 hours later, I really only have that amount of time. That means either a short trip into town, or just nap and stay in the airport, read, eat, drink, etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There is a hotel at the airport. I would get a day room, take a shower, take a nap, relax and have a drink.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The day room rate for the Holiday Inn Express was 40 euro last May and that included airport shuttle (10 mins). There was a great Italian restaurant/bar within walking distance. It also was in wooded area nice for a little hike. Just enough time for a shower and a nap with a great meal. If your going on to Namibia don't forget the 2 hour line for Air Namibia even with bags checked straight thru.
Have a great trip.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be the voice of dissent (if you are flying Delta or one of its partners).My wife and I got a day room at the Sheraton on our trip in 06. We took a shower, changed and headed into town for some sightseeing and lunch. We returned and took a nap. We flew business class (skymiles) and had access to the Crowne Room. One the way home, we went to the CR- it has great showers, lockers for baggage, reclining chairs you can sleep in and complimentary food and beverages. We are going to get a day pass to the Crowne Room for our June trip to Namibia and skip the day room. We will spend much of the layover in Frankfurt. You will have enough time to ride the train into town and explore. You can take a cruise on the Main River, drink some of the local wines and sample some good food. Another neat side trip is to Zeppelinheim which is just across the autobahn from the airport. They have a nice little museum on the history of airships and have some artifacts from the Hindenburg. You can get daypases to the CR for $25/per person/day.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that amount of time I wouldn't want to rush about too much... But I'm sure you want to make the most of it. Two good places in Germany to unwind and soak up a bit of ambience are cafes or pubs
In one you can try Kaffee und Kuechen - huge slabs of cream laden sponge, bitter cocoa, perhaps some schnapps - a real part of German life. (Black Forest Gateau would be an obvious start point.)
Or a pub - totally different feel to a British pub - and generally they do hearty food - various Schnitzel, and hopefully regional specialities often using the "cheaper" cuts. In southern Germany you will find noodles and dumplings as a tradional "filler" as well as Pommes (chips or fries). And don't opt for a normal Lager - lots of intersting wheat beers etc there too.
Gueten Appetit!

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
We did the day room at the Sheraton at the airport and then went into town to hike around and bird watch in the Stadtwaldt forest. We got rained out a bit, but otherwise had an enjoyable day of it. Next time, I'd spend a little more time out and about.

You just have to get a day pass for the bus or train, both easily available at the terminals below the sheraton.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
I'll be the voice of dissent (if you are flying Delta or one of its partners).My wife and I got a day room at the Sheraton on our trip in 06. We took a shower, changed and headed into town for some sightseeing and lunch. We returned and took a nap. We flew business class (skymiles) and had access to the Crowne Room. One the way home, we went to the CR- it has great showers, lockers for baggage, reclining chairs you can sleep in and complimentary food and beverages. We are going to get a day pass to the Crowne Room for our June trip to Namibia and skip the day room. We will spend much of the layover in Frankfurt. You will have enough time to ride the train into town and explore. You can take a cruise on the Main River, drink some of the local wines and sample some good food. Another neat side trip is to Zeppelinheim which is just across the autobahn from the airport. They have a nice little museum on the history of airships and have some artifacts from the Hindenburg. You can get daypases to the CR for $25/per person/day.

So if I'm not traveling on Delta (United is what I'll be on) can I still pay the $25 for the daypass to the CR? I'd love a shower, be able to stretch out and nap some if needed. Even giving myself 4-5 hours or so for sightseeing should be enough, I would imagine, to go into town for a few things.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
quote:

So if I'm not traveling on Delta (United is what I'll be on) can I still pay the $25 for the daypass to the CR? I'd love a shower, be able to stretch out and nap some if needed. Even giving myself 4-5 hours or so for sightseeing should be enough, I would imagine, to go into town for a few things.

You have to be on Delta. They ask for a boarding pass.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, does United have a baggage agreement with Air Namibia? If not, you may have issues with you guns. I'm sure United or one of its alliance partners has a lounge there.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
John, does United have a baggage agreement with Air Namibia? If not, you may have issues with you guns. I'm sure United or one of its alliance partners has a lounge there.

Yes, United does have a baggage agreement with Air Namibia and I can check my bags all the way through to Windhoek.

Apparently you have to be a Gold member (paying a lot and having "x" number of miles) to be able to use the special lounges.

I'm getting a day room for about $100 at the Holiday Inn Express in Frankfurt and will shower, nap, and maybe go out and get some grub/sightsee from there for a few hours. I can't stand the thought of sitting in the airport for 10 hours, especially if I need sleep and a shower.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm learning about the layover options myself. I'm probably going the same route next year. Keep us posted on what you end up doing and what you would do differently (or the same) next time.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to book a day room at the Holiday Inn express online or should I just call?

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I decided to cancel our reservations at the Sheraton and just use the Delta Crown room. Sheraton was a 150 Euros for a dayroom.

You can book online here:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/framf?_requestid=101222

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a poor idea to get a day room and sleep while in Frankfurt. Staying active helps your internal clock adjust to moving six or eight time zones to the east. Here's why:

1. You'll be wired on the day you leave the North American continent, and likely will sleep little the night before your departure and will awake early. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it helps you to

2. Sleep on the overnight flight from the U.S. to Europe. This flight is eight to ten hours, depending on where you originate, and is mostly in the dark.

3. When you arrive in Europe, it will be morning, and although you have slept a relatively short night (in an increasingly uncomfortable semi-upright position), you should feel and act as if it is time for breakfast and greeting the day. Keep active through the day even if you feel a little draggy. Go to downtown Frankfurt on the train (cheap and easy) for a few hours and enjoy the sights, sausage, and beer.

4. By the time your flight for Windhoek is ready to board, you'll be so tired you won't notice how hard the damn Airbus seats are. You've got ten hours to do in this box, and the tireder you are, the more able you are to sleep.

5. You'll arrive around 8 AM in Namibia and will have a full day ahead of you getting to your hunting destination. But, because Namibia and Germany are in basically the same time zone, you've already made substantial progress toward adjusting to the time, starting yesterday back in Germany. We arrived at our hunting destination mid-afternoon and actually felt perky enough to go hunting and killed a warthog before supper. The bed and the shower felt great that night. We slept like a log and awoke at sunrise rested and ready.

On the other hand, if you get a day room in Germany and crash there, you will be one day further away from acclimatizing to the time change. The ten-hour flight to Africa will seem like a week because you can't sleep on the plane, and when you arrive in Namibia you'll still be on U.S. time.

So, save the money you would drop on a hotel room in Frankfurt for the trophy fee on an extra springbok.

Or do it however you want to. It's your trip, you paid for it, and you should conduct it how you please. Smiler

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
I decided to cancel our reservations at the Sheraton and just use the Delta Crown room. Sheraton was a 150 Euros for a dayroom.

When I checked last June, the Delta Crown room in Frankfurt had limited hours and was closed for a part of the day. You might want to make sure of its availability.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
These are the hours according to Delta's web site. We just need a shower and are then taking the train downtown. Following your advice and trying to stay awake all day.

Daily: 7am–2pm & 4pm–8:30pm

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Last July we took the train to downtown Frankfurt and spent the day walking around town (both the old and the new parts), enjoying some good food, the crowds of people, buying some gifts and having a great time. We also took a lot of pics. We returned to the airport via the train with plenty of time to catch the Air Namibia flight to Windhoek. For us it was a refreshing break from the 9 hour flight across the Atlantic and we saw no need to sleep or shower, but each to their own way of relaxing.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. Not going to get a day room and have a line on a few things to do with a fellow AR member who has generously offered his services as tour-guide and Welcome Wagon ambassador for a few hours Smiler

My biggest concern was making sure I made it back with enough time to get in line for Air Namibia boarding, which I've been told can be a nightmare sometimes with 2 hour long lines just to board - I definitely don't want to miss the flight. But it leaves at 2230 and I would hope that being back to the airport and in line by 1800-1830 should be enough time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I think it is a poor idea to get a day room and sleep while in Frankfurt. Staying active helps your internal clock adjust to moving six or eight time zones to the east. Here's why:

1. You'll be wired on the day you leave the North American continent, and likely will sleep little the night before your departure and will awake early. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it helps you to

2. Sleep on the overnight flight from the U.S. to Europe. This flight is eight to ten hours, depending on where you originate, and is mostly in the dark.

3. When you arrive in Europe, it will be morning, and although you have slept a relatively short night (in an increasingly uncomfortable semi-upright position), you should feel and act as if it is time for breakfast and greeting the day. Keep active through the day even if you feel a little draggy. Go to downtown Frankfurt on the train (cheap and easy) for a few hours and enjoy the sights, sausage, and beer.

4. By the time your flight for Windhoek is ready to board, you'll be so tired you won't notice how hard the damn Airbus seats are. You've got ten hours to do in this box, and the tireder you are, the more able you are to sleep.

5. You'll arrive around 8 AM in Namibia and will have a full day ahead of you getting to your hunting destination. But, because Namibia and Germany are in basically the same time zone, you've already made substantial progress toward adjusting to the time, starting yesterday back in Germany. We arrived at our hunting destination mid-afternoon and actually felt perky enough to go hunting and killed a warthog before supper. The bed and the shower felt great that night. We slept like a log and awoke at sunrise rested and ready.

On the other hand, if you get a day room in Germany and crash there, you will be one day further away from acclimatizing to the time change. The ten-hour flight to Africa will seem like a week because you can't sleep on the plane, and when you arrive in Namibia you'll still be on U.S. time.

So, save the money you would drop on a hotel room in Frankfurt for the trophy fee on an extra springbok.

Or do it however you want to. It's your trip, you paid for it, and you should conduct it how you please. Smiler

Long flights are the REASON they invented sleeping pills. I can highly recommend restoril(which is kind of an antique these days but still works well, IIRC correctly it has a half life of about 12 hours compared to 8 or so for amibien and its relatives) or ambien. If necessary you can still function under the influence, so to speak.

Everyone has their own theories about adjusting to time zone changes, my theory has always been to sleep when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry, and screw when the opportunity presents itself, not to mention having a few beers or drinks along the way, and not worry about the damn time when I'm on vacation. I realize some people look at Africa as a goal, I don't, it's a hunt not a survival course. Have fun, and if you ain't having fun, why are you there? YMMV. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, Gato, this line was especially for you! Have a great trip. I know you'll enjoy it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek:

Thanks and remember, "Better living through chemistry." clap beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of Tylenol PM is helpful to me. They're pretty mild and don't last past about 8 hours. However, their "sleep" agent is essentially benzedrin (sp?, Benedryl) or a chemical cousin and some people react just the opposite to it by becoming hyper. It also tends to dry your sinuses, which can be problematic in a low-pressure, dry atmosphere aircraft cabin.

Whatever, some kind of chemical "travel assistance" is not a bad idea, just be sure you've tried it before and it doesn't have any unwanted side effects for you. A limited and judicious dose of Crown Royal (or analog product flavored to your personal taste) administered orally at the proper time ain't a bad prescription, either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going through Frankfurt the end of June. Can anyone give me information on using one of the airport lounges by buying a day pass? I have heard about doing this, but I have been unable to find any information about having access to any of the lounges this way.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MCM300,

Which airline are you on? Delta sells one-day passes to its Crown Room for $25, I believe, but only to its own passengers (again, I believe). Check the website of your airline. Not all airlines which fly into Frankfurt have VIP lounges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these links for Frankfort airport

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.de/cms/default/rubrik/9/9347.htm

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/rubrik....airport_city_en.htm

I think I found the on the Air Namibia or Lufthansa web page.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote