Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping on the plane
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
This may seem like a dumb question, but it's perked my curiosity. I hear a lot of people like to take an ambien during the flight to Africa to help them sleep and reduce jet lag. If you're sitting in the isle seat, for example, and pop an ambien, what happens to the remaining passengers sitting to the side of you should they have to go the bathroom/need to stretch? Do they try to wake you up to get out or just step over you?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Some will often show a little courtesy and will wait until you are awake before heading to the bathroom. Others not so much!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like to sleep the whole trip and not be bothered then you don't belong in an aisle seat.

Everyone has to go to the can at one point or another. Some more than others. They are not waking you up because of lack of courtesy.

They gotta go!

My friends wife had this issue on a plane to Joberg. She had to go to the can a couple of times on the 13hr flight and the guy in the aisle slept the entire time. There was no way to step over him without disturbing him so she had to wake him up. She felt bad about waking him up, but what do you do??? They would have gladly switched seats with him so that he could have had the Window seat.

Sleeping the entire time in an aisle seat seems to be lacking courtesy to those on the inside, if you ask me.

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I prefer a window seat. I'm one of those few lucky folks who sleep easily on planes and prefer to do so without bothering anyone.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Window seat.

Seraquel, not Ambien.

Take one when the plane pushes back in Dulles, eat dinner, wake up in JoBerg.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
If you like to sleep the whole trip and not be bothered then you don't belong in an aisle seat.

+ 1

And if you stay up the night before you fly,
you will be so knackered by the time you get on the plane you will sleep anyway but can still be woken if needed.

This is what I do heading to the US and can sometimes sleep 12+ hours straight, feeling great when I get to LA at 7.00am.

Of course you have to temper your sleep to the particular flight / what time of the day / night you land so you are on the correct time of the country you land in.

It works for me.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I snore, so long sleeps on the plane are out of the question! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I snore, so long sleeps on the plane are out of the question! Big Grin

So do I, but I can't hear it !!! Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...be cautious using SEROQUEL! It is a prescription med for SCHIZOPHRENIA, AND BI-POLAR DISORDER.
NOT approved as a sleep medication. Altho, sometimes prescribed (usually inappropriately)
Google search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got long legs, if they don't stir, I just step over them as best I can.

I'd think it kind of rude to purposely take meds to go to sleep w/o first asking to swap seats.

Too paranoid to sleep w/aid of medication. You will be too slow to react to any type of inflight emergency.

I just slept on the way over, woke up in Frankfurt. Did the stay awake thing around Frankfurt. We kept moving around, went to the zoo, strolled around the area. Made sure we got back to the airport in plenty of time. As soon a people starting lining up at the Air Namibia window we got in line. I slept as well as could on an airplane. Once I got off the plane I was too pumped to be sleepy.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do tell the people next to me that they can wake me up if needed
anytime and that they might need to tap me hard on the arm to get
a response.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Some will often show a little courtesy and will wait until you are awake before heading to the bathroom. Others not so much!

I have slept for 8 hours straight on the plane a time or two. I sure wouldn't expect anyone to hold it for 8 hours while I sleep; please feel free to step over me!

FWIW, no one should try to sit in their seat for the whole trip. You need to get up and stretch and get the blood flowing. You also need to make sure that you drink a enough water as the dry air on the plane will really dehydrate a guy.

The great thing about drinking a lot of water is that is will get you up and moving!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone with severe sleep issues, I have taken about every thing possible to help me sleep including ambien. I would caution those who do not routinely take the drug to be very careful in its use.

While drugs effect people differently, ambien has a severe negative impact on me if I have not taken it in a while. If I have not taken it in a while, within 30 minutes of taking the prescribed dose, I am f'ed up like a lab rat. I can't walk down the hall to get in bed. I literally bounce from one wall to another. I can hardly stand.

Personally, I would not want to feel this way or be around anyone who feels this way on a flight.

I know other people that have the same issues with the drug.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Agree with Larry's caution. Try Ambien a time or two before use on the plane. In some patients it has caused hallucinations. Having this reaction at 30,000 feet over the Atlantic half way through the flight could be a significant problem.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I manged to get a little sleep from Dulles to London and some more sleep on the flight from Munich to Windhoek. I did take my first and only Ambien on that leg and I think it helped, although it was very fitful sleep -- lower back pain would wake me up from time to time, in addition to having to use the loo. I found, though, that when I arrived in Namibia I was really too worn out to have jet lag, which was sort of a pleasant surprise.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
Window seat.

Seraquel, not Ambien.

Take one when the plane pushes back in Dulles, eat dinner, wake up in JoBerg.

The smartest thing I ever did... Be the only refreshed and relaxed arrival.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't take "sleeping drugs" in any situation so won't start using them on an airplane. As some have said in case of an emergency don't want to be "strung out" so as to be ineffective in that type of situation. To each his own. If you feel you need to rely on drugs then go for it.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest that some might try restoril in generic (temazepam). It is an older sleeping pill with a 12 hour half life. A couple of them have worked well for me on many flights, but, as with any drug, try them out ahead of time. Personally I can function with them, but admittedly, somewhat slowly.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
this is what i have used for 15 years- cheap and works great for me.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with any medicine, please do not take any without consulting your physician. The idea is to take something that is fast acting but has a very short half life i.e. knocks you out quickly but does not stay in your system to alleviate the "hangover" effect so that you are not so "drugged" up when you wake. Everyone get groggy when they wake up with or without medicine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to be the smart ass here. But here goes: At least for me....If I have saved enough to go to AFRICA(I promise I will someday) I am flying 1st class and F(^*&*(% everybody else! If I feel like going to sleep I will. Hopefully in a nice leather comfy chair with a gorgeous stuardess rubbing my...neck!Smiler!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hate to burst your bubble but the cabin crew get their assignment to the front cabin based on seniority- they have to have worked for the airline for a rather long period of time to be up front. which means they are middle aged( or slightly older). in 10 trips to Africa flying first or business class, i have never seen a stewardess up front that was even close to gorgeous. now the comfy sleeper seats are a whole different ballgame.i guess 1 out of 2 ain't bad!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made the trip three times across to Zim and had my Dr. prescribe Ambien for me. I only get enough for my stay and I have never used a sleep aid before, or after. I usually stay up as long as I possibly can to where there is about 8 hours of flight left and take one. They usually put me out for about 7hrs. I have had an aisle seat each time and never had a problem. Then again, maybe I was just out of it and did not know anyone was crawling over me. They are very helpful while there also. Once lights are out in camp, I take one and sleep fitfully til morning. Never any side effects or hallucinations.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I hate to be the smart ass here. But here goes: At least for me.... If I have saved enough to go to AFRICA(I promise I will someday) I am flying 1st class and F(^*&*(% everybody else! If I feel like going to sleep I will. Hopefully in a nice leather comfy chair with a gorgeous stuardess rubbing my...neck!Smiler!

The difference between coach and first class is about $6,000. If money is an issue with getting to Africa "someday" you are better off flying coach. If you need to scrimp and save until you get enough money to fly first class be prepared for the possibility that you may never make it.

Please take my advice as it was intended and don't be offended. I am under the impression that you are a young guy(and most likely unattached) and as someone who was in your shoes not long ago my advice is: go now, go often.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That seroquel is not to be given as a sleeping pill. It is for schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder.
I will stick to ambien...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seroquel is and exceedingly safe medication for most people. The dose causing somnolence in most people is very small compared to the doses usually used to treat bipolar, schizophrenia and refractory depression.

In my opinion it is much safer than ambien and most other sleep meds. It is increasingly being used for sleeping problems, but is not FDA indicated for this. The other nice thing about it is you can wake up at anytime you need to and still function unlike many of the other sleep meds which can cause disorientation while it is still in your system.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as a physician, i have to wonder why any anti-psychotic med would be "safer" or more effective for you than any sleeping medication. FDA guidelines have at least some basis in fact for use/effects/indications.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
That's why I prefer a window seat. I'm one of those few lucky folks who sleep easily on planes and prefer to do so without bothering anyone.

You're indeed lucky. I used to almost live on commercial carriers, commuting in and out of offshore assignments, and I could *never* sleep on an airplane, unless I was flying BA and got lucky and got an upgrade to first because of my gold card. I could take a handful of Nembutal and I swear do nothing more than doze. I have always envied you lucky people who can lean back and crap out for four or five hours.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your simply not Drunk enough.. Smiler

Best flight I ever had from Zim to Atlanta after PH and I tied on an all nighter before I left. Made it awake to Cape Town and woke up just in time for breakfast on decent into Atlanta..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried Ambien years ago. I would sleep for exactly 5 hours-then boing!-up for duration Alprazalam works for me in light doses and my doc told me wear compression knee high hose on long > 5 hours flights or drives

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ambien was priceless on my trip to Botswana. Couple Ambien and sleep to Frankfurt. Stay up all day and then pop another Ambien and sleep to Namibia. I had ZERO jet lag.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey stoneybroke--compression stockings work for most occasions when an older person is sitting for an extender time period. Also works great if you have had your knees totally replaced, like me. they are expensive--approx. $40.00 per pair but worth every penny. all the best.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
In my two trips to Africa I was lucky enough to fly first class on air miles. Ambien worked well for me. I did make the mistake of taking it upon boarding on one flight. The flight attendant kept waking me up for each course, at my wife's insistence of course.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
as a physician, i have to wonder why any anti-psychotic med would be "safer" or more effective for you than any sleeping medication. FDA guidelines have at least some basis in fact for use/effects/indications.

Same thought from another physician.

Personally I take melatonin (available over the counter) on my flights to sleep.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
July will be my third trip. I finally got tired of the cattle area. We are going in Business Elite on Delta out of Atlanta. My own bed, TV, AC vents, plugs, etc.
Can no longer handle the brats kicking my seat and no room. I am spending the money. Never have seen a hearse with a luggage rack.

But that's just me.

Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How nice for you Randy. I will be taking my brats with me on their first African hunt but not their first hunt. Have to fly because I can't find any transatlantic service by ship to Africa. I will be sure to drug them up so that they can't bother anyone around them. may be some antipsychotic as suggested here. Honestly, we are talking about public transport here so kids are not the only issue to deal with. For me a good pair of noise canceling headphones work wonders or some earplugs. They eventually tire of kicking your seat and fall asleep. What you can't do much about are some of the BO emanating from people or the person spilling into the seats on either side of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Randys statement was directed at the parents who do not control their children. I dont think that directs the comment at you or yours. If you are taking your two youngest for their first safari good for you! I assume you have worked with them and have determined them to be mature and responsible enough to handle weapons safely and the basics of hunting. ie the behaviour required. I would also bet that as such you have also taught them to not run amuck and annoy fellow passengers. If the get a little too geeked up as kids and even adults are want to do at times I assume you would rein them in a bit. Not that I figure your kids would need it much anyway because of the hunting training. It is whan someones little darlig is raising hell and totally runnin amuck. They are irritating everyone around them at that point. Unfortunately many of the parents either dont see a problem, shut it out, or just dont want to be bothered with it. Last flight Frankfurt to Atlanta was one of these. I get in line at TSA and there is a mother with what looks to be a 6 to 8 year old boy she is holding in her arms.The boy is repeatedly punching his mother in her face. She dosnt even grab his hand to hold it. She just says quietly "honey we talked about that, please dont do that. Of course the child yelled louder and continued punching. I went one way and she went another. I got hung up with TSA over some technicaliy that the crown room had done so that took a phone call and a few minutes to sort out. I saw no sign of that womman and child and breathed a sigh of relief. I finally get to the plane get boarded and here a virtual riot in the back of the plane. I can here several people calling for the stewards and asking about seat reasignments or swaps. I get my stuff settled look the nex isle over ond three rows back and the is still screaming.It didnt stop until we touched down in Atlanta. I had a an ambien and put it to good use. Just so you know it has a short halflife. Gogg for those who have troublle falling asleep. The XR fersion is a dual acting dose. You get the first dose just like the regular one but then a second dose is time released about 4 hours after the initial dose. This helps the keep the patient asleep for those who wake up alot during the night. As long as you allow 6 to 8 hours after taking a dose you will be fully alert and ready to go. The folks who have gotten into trouble took the mmed and then decided the had enough time to drive to the store for something. Otherwise a very safe drug with little side effects if taken properly. Also you we sleep sounder than normal but not to the point someone would have a diffiicult time waking you up. As far as trazodone goes it is intended as an antipsychotic but I see many DRs use it off label fo sleep.It works quite well for thos type of oatients I might add. It qouldnt be my first choice but if you and your Doc are comfortable with it after discussing the pros and cons go for it. As for the mother and the kid, I dont know in my mind who needed the beating more.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, on the way to the US I slept for quite a while in 2 lots even though I had been awake for 36 hours so not as much as I normally do.

I think I was a bit wound up being the reason I didn't sleep well.

On the way back, I slept virtually from LA to within 1-2 hours of landing in NZ.

All without drugs.

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
As far as trazodone goes it is intended as an antipsychotic but I see many DRs use it off label fo sleep.

Actually trazodone is an antidepressant, not an antipsychotic. Side effects of antipsychotics are usually much worse.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you are correct My mind went one place when I was thinking another. I was still actually talking about the seroquel. The trazodone is also used a lot for sleep as well. I am having a problem confusing things a lot lately. The doc thinks he has it figured out but it is very frustrating for me on several levels. Sorry for having mispoken and thanks for correcting it. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote