THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Anyone ever use the PacSafe Duffle/Bag Cover For Travel To Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever use the PacSafe Duffle/Bag Cover For Travel To Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I just purchased the PacSafe wire duffle/bag cover for international travel. It is a small diameter wire cable mesh system that covers your rolling duffle bag and then locks with a lock once you have stretched it over the rolling duffle. It is made to prevent theft in your bag. I have it locked with a TSA lock in case they decide that they want to inspect it. Has anyone ever checked their bags using one? Any problems?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get it? Do they come in various sizes? looks like the answer to thefts from duffle bags.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered it from PacSafe. Yes, they do come in various sizes. They also sell a PacSafe Backpack (in two sizes) that has the cable material layered in between two nylon layers of backpack material so it's virtually cut proof. The same with another product called the PacSafe Safe. A medium sized envelope style item that acts as a safe for your valuables. Built on the same principle as the backpack: cutproof, with a cable lock top. Go to their website and check things out: PacSafe. Their distribution point is out of Washington State. They are very fast in getting things shipped out as well. I saw someone at Afton House in Jo-burg a couple of years ago, using something like this. I think that if people started using this that our friendly thieves would quit working at the Jo-burg Airport and other airports around the world out of frustration!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right: I looked them up on the internet. It shows some dealers in Dallas, so, will try to see one when we are in Dallas for DSC

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this look really really cool - thank you much for bringing it out

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have one.

It is designed to prevent theft from your bag while in your hotel. I think their first product was aimed at hikers staying at hostels.

I would NOT check a bag with one deployed. I would bet on a 99.999% chance it would get snagged in the baggage conveyor system.

Perhaps if you used an overbag to protect the wire mesh, it would work.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar rig. I use it in hotels mostly for peace of mind. It works for that. Could use it in safari camps based on some past postings I have read. I am not that much of a worrier yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use these for travel in Europe. During the flight, they stay packed inside the bag, backpack, duffel bag, etc.

Will they stop a determined thief? No!

Will they stop petty theft and pilfering? Yes!

Will they give you piece of mind at a dodgy motel, rest stop, etc.? Yes!

Be realistic in your assessment of what a thin cable mesh will do. Also, get rid of those TSA locks and buy a good lock!!! Yes, one that is hard to pick and one that is hard to break with a big rock or small hammer. Wink

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of an overbag over the PacSafe. I think that doing that would prevent a lot of theft in the African airport systems and allow you to maybe use it for traveling from Jo'burg to Harare, etc.