Notify
Tools

Arrival In Johannesburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted
I will be going over for my first trip 6/27/08

I heard it can take some time once in Johannesburg going through the South African Police process.
Can anyone tell me the average time it takes to get through.
Thanks

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you "do it yourself", 1 to 3 hours.

If you have an "agent" do it for you in advance, 10 to 30 minutes.

We use Air-2000 at www.hunterssupport.com

I have a CD I can send you of their service if you like.

Terry

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have allways done it myself, twice in October and last year in July. Has never taken me longer than about 45 minutes getting 3 people thru. Of course we had all the paperwork filled out and in order.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
joe,

I've gone through J-Burg's Firearm's Control in just about as quick as it takes to sign the Form 520 and have the SAPS inspect the serial numbers on my firearms - say 10 minutes but then these are occaisions when there is no one else present to be processed.

Then again I've arrived with 15 persons waiting in line in front of me. Many horror stories when arrival time conicides with those of other flights with many other hunters aboard.

You just never know. I've never used an Agent but that's my choice.

I always use the services of the SAPS as described on their website and since usually have a coupla months head's up time; have an ALREADY approved Form 520 which requires only a signature and the Friearms Serial numbers checked. Takes alot less time than the SAPS having to prepare the entire Form 520 for you.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Rifle Permits on my first trip, everything went great and took no more than 15 min., there were several very unhappy looking people sitting in the SAPS office waiting. Be prepared as nothing moves as fast as you want in Africa. I will always use a permit service.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
At least go to Riflepermits.com and read everything on their site -- lots of GOOD free advice there!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When i arrived in Johannesburg the police take a real long time even with everying in order.
I estatmate 3 hr.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to second using Air 2000/Hunter's Support. Absolutely no problems last time going through Joberg. From the time the plane landed arrived at the gate until the time we were loading the car was 35 minutes.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact your outfitter and have him do it ahead of time for you. I have done it twice myself (15 minutes, and 30 minutes wait time) and last year my outfitter did the paperwork ahead of time for me (20 minutes).

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote