Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are you guys using?
1. A simple suitcase?
2. Anybody use Red Oxx duffels?
3. Why do you use what you use?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuffpac works great for guns and clothing, boots everything you need.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Filson rolling duffle bag. Virtually indestructible.

Mike

Posts: 21214 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

I don't think there is any perfect safari luggage. Mike's suggestion of the Filson rolling duffle is as good as it gets for this type of luggage and I literally wore out one of these after years of abuse. The drawback is that like any zippered duffel the zipper itself can be opened with a ballpoint pen.

UEG likes the hardsided Samsonite luggage with built in TSA locks. They are as bugglar proof as possible but if your on a charter flight with others or a bunch of camp supplies the rigid exterior will make them hard to stash in the plane.

I bought some less expensive hardsided luggage in '12 and in one safari and a half dozen domestic trips one of the locks is screwed and a handle pulled off another.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. In light of the fact that I already have a good aluminum hard sided case (ICC), and the fact that I have ammo in a hard sided case to carry inside checked luggage (as you guys also well know), I was looking specifically for the most safari friendly suit case, duffel, etc as a stand alone piece.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Filson duffles. I have both standard and rolling models and they have made many african trips without issue.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an old duffelbag for cloth.
I put my rifle in a simple case and the case into a long duffel bag.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Filson, I have been using them for 15 yrs or so and just bought anther bag-from them to add to the collection.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My Filson has reached a point where it is so dirty and worn that it actually looks cool. I was at the airport in Missoula this summer for a fishing trip and when it came off the luggage carousel the couple next to me commented that the bag looked neat. Sort of like the old beaten and worn travel lockers of the past with country stickers all over them. Old and worn is in I guess. Smiler

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old and worn is in I guess. Smiler

That's how my wife compliments me.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I must admit I had the same thought.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
What are you guys using?
1. A simple suitcase?
2. Anybody use Red Oxx duffels?
3. Why do you use what you use?
Thanks in advance.

This topic comes up at least once a year, and I'll throw in my $.02. Go to your local Salvation Army Resale Shop and buy a large hard sided Samsonite suitcase. If the locks don't work or it's missing the key, so much the better, as you can pay a lot less. I got mine for $8.00 in 2012. Next go to Home Depot and buy a hasp set for less than $2.00 a pair. Mount the hasps using bolts that you should LocTite to their nuts so they don't rattle loose. I pulled out the old ratty liner and the divider to reduce weight and increase capacity. Buy FOUR TSA locks in case somebody decides to tamper with the original set of two. Keep the backups in your carry-on. For less than $10, you get as secure a bag as possible, and you don't have to worry about dings and dents. When the suitcase costs only $8, they add to the "patina".

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Filson fan.

My XL rolling duffle was so beaten up by the airlines over the years that my stuff started falling out and was becoming unusable.

I sent it to Filson to see if it could be repaired and they sent me a new one.

I love Filson!

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That's another great point. One of the plastic runners on the bottom of my duffle broke. I called Filson and told them I needed a new one and was leaving on a trip in a couple of weeks. They not only sent me one, they sent me three and did it in under a week. Yes, I like Filson.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In 2004 my Filson XL sat in a puddle of diesel fuel in the back of a truck in Zambia for a few days. When I got it at the hotel in Lusaka, one end was rotting away. Used my roll of duct tape to secure the end and flew home. Sent the bag to Filson to see what they could do for me. I was very pleasantly surprised when they sent me a brand new bag!

"Filson...Might as well have the best."

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Might be an interesting thread to start someday, show me your Filson and tell me the story of your bag. I bet there are some doozies out there and some of those battle worn bags would look pretty cool.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG:

I've used a Red Oxx duffel for my last two safaris. They worked well. Nice bags. Nice guarantee, although I've never had to use it.

I've purchased several Red Oxx rifle cases and slips over the years, but have never had one leave Africa. They are well-built as well.

Posts: 10015 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my carry on I most always use my Patagonia MLC [Maximum Legal Carryon].
It has back pack straps, a padded back and is very comfortable to carry, and it holds a lot of gear.

Most times it weighs from 35 to 49 lbs, as I put EVERYTHING I LEGALLY can, in it.

For checked baggage I use Filson luggage, and I really like the extra large wheeled duffele if I am carrying a lot of heavy and bulky gear.

If I am traveling a little lighter o use a Filson duffel. I have taken their luggage to Africa and Alaska several times with pewrfect satisfaction. I use it for my trips in the USA including my trip to my Texas deer lease.

I have a couple of Africase Duffels and I like them a lot as well. I always use one of them for vehicle travel in the USA and the wife used one for her carry on to Africa. They are very well made, the equal of Patagonia, and Filson.
When on a vehicle trip in the USA the Africase is my primary luggage.

When it comes to guns I have first used Pelican, and for the last several years Tuffpak.

On all my African trips and most of my Alaskan trips I have used the Tuffpak. The last time the wife and I went to Zim we had 3 Tuffpaks.
Two standard, and one take down.

I use the Tuffpak when going to the deer lease as I can cable it into my trailer or my vehicle and easially access the guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Filson has a nice booth at DSC and I enjoyed visiting with them. They were familiar with my local dealer and I wanted to give him a goodguy report to the firm.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have the large Filson rolling duffel and I'm very happy with it. For shorter trips it, or a medium size suitcase from Saddleback leather is just about perfect. For longer trips both. A really large bag or suitcase just gets too heavy.

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I've taken Orvis and Beretta rolling duffels to Africa (Beretta once) and Argentina (Orvis 4x and Beretta 1x). They they have held up well. They are large, but have the separate bottom, which is good for the boots and dirty clothes.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Luggage.... I don't need no stinking luggage!

The Browning rolling case in the foreground is a POS. Note the dents from just one trip.

That said, I love my TuffPac, but when taking takedown rifles, I find that the below-pictured rolling, hard duffel (where I found it, I don't know) works wonderfully, too. I think it was originally made for some type of photographic equipment and is quite sturdy, doesn't look like a gun case and has provisions for whatever type lock you wish to put on it. Wish I could find another!

I've taken it to Africa a half-dozen times, I guess and have yet had SAPS segregate it from other luggage. As I indicated, it is too short for bolt rifles, but a double and my cape gun, both in takedown Boyt cases, fit just fine.

Since it is a hard case and has no zippers that are defeatable with a ballpoint pen, I also take it to Africa as my second bag (clothes, hard and independently locked ammo box, etc.) when using my TuffPac for long guns. Of course, anyone can get into anything that they really want to, but I don't feel very good about valuables that can be stolen out of a zippered bag in 10 seconds by simply pushing a pen between the teeth of the zipper.

Try the pen in the zipper trick yourself. It is amazingly easy, regardless if you have the pulls locked. Red Oxx has very sturdy zippers, btw. I'm not sure you can defeat the zipper with them (or a Filson?)

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Beretta rolling duffel, as well as a Pelican for my take-down Blasers and DRs.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I have a Blaser, thanks to Beibs and a 'trash' Sabatti double, will use a Pelican case for the first time this year to Mozambique. My Tuff Pak has made 15 successful trip to Africa, and it will be sad to not include it this year, but feel the Pelican will serve me well.

My hardcase of choice, either Pelican/Tuff Pak is always accompanied by my Red Ox duffel as the second checked bag. On board I carry a EB roller bag, Wesley Richards soft daypack and my ZPAP in it's case. Get to take three items on board since one is considered "personal" Medical Equipment. I know it sounds like a lot of "stuff" but will be gone for 35 days, so like to cover all the bases. No 7-11 nearby where I am in Mozambique!!

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
Blaser R8
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I use a Beretta rolling duffel, as well as a Pelican for my take-down Blasers and DRs.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
The biggest globetrotter safari luggage and one nat geo camera bag.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like split duffle with wheels. Bought a cheap one at Costco - they don't sell it anymore. The bottom is hard plastic and the duffle splits in two. Can put ammo and stuff in the bottom and clothes in the top.

When I get a blaser or mauser or get a proper break down case for my double - a pelican 1710. I am going to try to find a larger split duffle bag where for local travel in country it is possible to put the pelican 1710 in the lower rigid part of the duffle bag.

My 2 cents - split duffle is the way to go. Also have multiple zippers so you can put tsa locks all over and the fine baggage handlers at Jo-Burg will have to decide which section to try to break into.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Pelican, Storm or SKB has worked well for me traveling with guns, whether shotguns or rifles. First two are better, but I have added hasps and locks to all but the Storm, the original is good there still. I put the rifle in question, in a soft case inside the hardcase, so I have something to transport it with in the hunting truck. Usually pull out the foam in the case.

I've used nothing but Orvis luggage in various forms for fifteen plus years now. Lifetime, I mean forever warranty. I used to buy a new carryon size bag every year, I travel a lot for business, the old one just wore out. I put about 10-12 years on an Orvis carry on, the green had faded past light olive to almost canvas khaki color, when the wheels needed replacement. Orvis guy took one look at it said " pick out what matches it, enjoy". I bought each of my kids Orvis luggage for graduation gifts.

Using their soft duffels now for clothes going to Africa. Have a leather big rolling duffle from them, great bag, very classic look, but as I get more experience, I don't need all the room, and getting into Cessna 210's is tougher than soft bags. Anything valuable going into the small Pelican ammo locker, or my carry on backpack, so not worried about theft. Knife or other type items is in the rifle case also.

Bring extra locks and keys though, eventually you will need them. Along with twice as many copies of 4457 forms as you think you'll need.

ALso, get the notary in your office to stamp all your 4457's, African customs seem to like that a lot!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeE:

ALso, get the notary in your office to stamp all your 4457's, African customs seem to like that a lot!

Good idea!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Cabela's canvas, wheeled bags with multiple compartments. Plus the TuffPak. Never had a problem, knock on wood!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Filson rolling duffel. Mine has been around the world numerous times and is still in great shape.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Until very recently I travelled all over Europe and Africa for work. As much as I like dragging a wheeled duffel bag through airports, they weigh too damn much. My go to bag for work and play is my Red Ox safari bag. For long guns I have TuffPac . I bought a Mauser M03 that I used in Namibia last September and carried it in the bespoke Mauser break down case. That was awesome! I might have to trade off my long TuffPac for a shorter breakdown/archery case. Travelling with breakdown guns in a small case is definitely the way to go!! Oh, and I have traveled extensively using just the long Tuffpac as a suitcase. No one is quite sure what it is, keeps prying hands out of things, and it comes off the plane in the large luggage spot so you are not fighting with all the other passengers at the carousel. It is a little tough getting it into small taxis though Eeker

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Goodwill store special. Black and ugly, sturdy, it has sparkles sprinkled all over it and has purple ribbon on the handle.
I know one thing, nobody will ever bother it.
Been dragging it all over Europe and Africa for years.
My mother said, she would never travel with me as long as I have " That thing "

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hard sided luggage only, like Mark said. After a theft of my cameras from my locked rolling, zippered CARRY-ON, (that was put at the very last minute in the belly of the plane by a very insistent flight attendant), I would not go back to anything less for checked baggage. Too easy to split the zippers and then you find out, hours later and way too late, that you've been robbed. And, my carry on is now a PacSafe backpack with security measures already built into the pack. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Honestly I would never put camera into checked luggage or for that matter binos or scope.
Always in my backpack

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bud Meadows mentioned it first here, and others have echoed the Goodwill hard sided luggage, and that's exactly what I did, along with adding a couple of locking hasps. It's ugly, and perfect! Thanks for the help guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best experience for hunting expedition luggage is The North Face Rolling Thunder (med).

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly boarkiller, I didn't. It was in my CARRY-0N that was placed into the belly of the plane at the very last minute by the stewardess. They have always been in my CARRY-ON, even in that instance.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You're right about that UEG
I hate when they try to do it
So far I avoided it.
These airlines will make someone to go Postal one day

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish that I could have avoided that too, as it cost me two cameras-one a brand new Sony Digital that I had not even used. Fortunately, we had been using our two Sony pocket cameras and had them with us on board in our pockets. The video camera with all of our footage from the hunt and from our visits to five communal schools delivering school supplies, was the other camera that was taken. Nearly everyone on that flight from Vic Falls to Jo'burg, that had soft luggage in the belly of the plane, had their luggage broken into and things stolen, including a large contingent of Chinese tourists. I made a real stink with SAA in Jo'burg, and when I returned to the States I filed all kinds of paperwork and documentation and nothing was ever done by SAA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I really the only one that uses a Saddleback suitcase? I like it even more than the Filson duffle...

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote