New
Find
Notify
Tools

The return flight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen alot of conversation about traveling with gun into RSA, the paperwork, permits, services etc... I'll be going over in June and flying down to East London. What are the regs and inspection proceedures on the return trip? I'll fly from East London back to JNB and on to Dulles. Do I have to recover my bags at JNB and re-check to Dulles or can I check them direct to Dulles? I know I've got to recaim my bags and do customs etc in Dulles but I'm not sure what to expect on the return portion in RSA.

Comments / suggestions?

Thanks

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just did the trip from Windhoek to Dulles via JoBerg last week. No issues at all. We were ticketed straight thru to our home destinations in the USA, so did not see our gun cases until we had to clear customs at Dulles. Bye the way, the new procedure at Dulles is very efficient, allowing a relatively quick inspection then rerouting your bags back to your airlines and you are on your way
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sierra2,

Great Kudu!! Congrats.

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comming out of East London they will check your guns i e serial # against your RSA temp permit. In Joberg you will have to claim your guns and have them checked by security and turn in your temp gun permit. Again in Dulles you will have to show your proof of ownership. I think the reason sierra2 did not have all the hassel he never hit "RSA soil" just stayed in the international terminal so he had no RSA gun permit to deal with.

You may want to engage the services of Hunters Air 2000 to help with your transfer both into RSA and out of RSA. There is a large construction project going at the airport going from International to the Domestic terminal. I used them a week or so ago on my return and it is worth the cost.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jagter, that was just what I was looking for. What a pain in the ass. I remember the construction from last year. We got a bit confused trying to get from domestic to international while bag dragging. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to claim and re-check in MNB. Oh well. Cheers and thanks.

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote