Find
Notify
Tools

Qatar airlines and Firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I'm looking into options for traveling to Windhoek in Namibia to avoid Joberg and SAA's new firearm fees. Qatar offers flights from my home airport of Philadelphia, PA to Windhoek with a stop and plane change in Doha. Has anyone had any experience flying with Qatar and transiting Doha with firearms?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Yes I have. I just did it. We departed 26 April and returned 16 May. Flew from Philly to Doha to Windhoek and returned through Doha to Atlanta. (had to connect from/to FLL thanks to AA incompetence). Qatar is a dream to deal with. Zero issues. Send an email to Qatar special services and they will answer promptly with what is required. PM me if you want more details.

Safe travels...…..Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry. Haven't booked anything yet so I'm just checking options. One question - did you use a travel agent for your airline tickets or book them yourself?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Qatar to Tanzania last year. No problems with guns or anything else, for that matter.

Taking Qatar to Moz later this year.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I booked them myself using one-world miles. It was 200K miles total for round trip business tickets for me and the wife.

Safe travels...…..Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
You need to contact: Special Services for Qatar at: specialservices@us.qatarairways.com

This is from the email sent to me when I first reached out to Qatar:

Only weapons designed for sporting purposes such as target pistols, air guns, safari rifles, hunting rifles, etc.
can be accepted as accompanied baggage. The airline's security department may however, determine
whether a weapon is for sporting purposes or not.

Acceptance as checked baggage

. Firearms and ammunition can be carried in checked baggage under the following conditions:
. Passengers must present documents accrediting the approval of the movement of the firearm from the
States of origin, transit (if applicable) and destination.
. The passenger must sign the Declaration of Surrender of Firearms
. The weapon must be unloaded. If possible, the weapon should be dismantled and packed inside a
suitcase or gun case
. The maximum gross weight of the ammunition must not exceed 5 kg per passenger. For more than one
passenger, only 5 kg is permitted per suitcase. The ammunition must be securely packed in a sealed
and strong wooden, metal, or fiberboard box and must be packed inside a suitcase with other contents.
. The suitcase containing the ammunition must not bear an “explosive” label. The weapon or
ammunition must not be stowed in the cabin or in any area accessible during the flight
. There is no limit in the number of weapons per passenger.

Please send to us at least 7 days prior to departure copy of Hunting invitation letter, prove of fire arm license and copy of passport, to send to the Airports for previous approval.
I would like to inform that Qatar Airways requires all the information at least 72 hours prior to departure.

Qatar and Emirates are by far the easiest airlines to deal with when it comes to traveling with firearms. Suggest you have multiple copies of all documentation so you can give them copies if needed. They stop you prior to boarding in Doha to let you know your firearms are on the aircraft. I put my ammunition in a separate locked box inside one of our suitcases.

Safe travels...…...LL

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Larry - Thanks again for the great info. Just what I needed.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member