Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malaria Meds?
 Login/Join

posted
Will be hunting near Port Elizabeth starting Apr. 9. Should I take Malaria meds.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, this is a safe arera.
Larry Rogers, M.D.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 259 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Malaria: Prophylaxis with Lariam (mefloquine), Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil), or doxycycline is recommended for northeastern KwaZulu-Natal Province as far south as the Tugela River, Limpopo (Northern) Province, and Mpumalanga Province. There is malaria risk in Kruger National Park.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I know some areas are "malaria free" but the border on malaria not so free zones. Why take a chance as anti malaria meds are cheap and safe?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy,

Listen to Cal. Why take even the most minute chance. Go to the CDC website and take everything they recommend and a malaria prophylaxis.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I know some areas are "malaria free" but they border on malaria not so free zones. Why take a chance as anti malaria meds are cheap and safe?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I am convinced on the need for the prophylaxis; but still very ignorant & confused as to which one.

What do you guys/gals use and why?

I will be in Botswana, just South of Ghanzi after a couple days in J-burg if that matters.

Please excuse the highjack.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using Larium for many years, and have had no problems at all.

Last year we used Malarone.

Again, we had no problems either.

Some people have been reporting negative effects from Larium, that is why we changed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always used Larium, never had a problem.

I would not go anywhere in Africa and not take some sort of malaria protection

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I used Larium once with no problems. I then tried Malarone but had problems sleeping even though I took the drug first thing in the AM. At first I thought it was the effects of jet lag, but three days into the trip I still couldn't get to sleep without a sleeping pill. Stopped the Malarone and everything was fine.

Everyone reacts differently to drugs so it's probably just me, but I think I'll use Doxy on my next trip. Being an anti-biotic it may help protect against other nasty things while in Africa. You just have to be careful about sun exposure while on Doxy.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used Malarone, but on the last trip, it upset my stomach -- probably in combination with another medication I had started since I last took Malarone.

Was thinking about trying Lariam for my trip this year but had heard Roche stopped selling it in the US due to liability issues. I checked, due to this thread, and perhaps mefloquine (Lariam) is available in a generic in the US. I'll look into it.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Malarone. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would NEVER reccomend Larium after my experience. There is a reason the US military has essentially dropped it.

Malarone I found good but expensive.

Doxy I found good but became a little toxic after a couple of years continuous use. Doxy is easy to get in Tanzania. Taken at nightime with food was best for my stomach.

Don't forget to use repellant during daytime anywhere you can catch dengue.

Good luck, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have heard Larium is not so good for some. What are the effects? I used it 13 times with no problems at all. Just curious as I know some swear by it and others swear at it.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I have heard Larium is not so good for some. What are the effects? I used it 13 times with no problems at all. Just curious as I know some swear by it and others swear at it.
Cal

Larium has seriously negative mental effects on some. I lived next door to an Air Force doctor and some of the military personnel she saw basically became unstable mental patients on it. When they returned stateside for hospitalization, they were taken off Larium and returned to a normal mental state and avoided forced mental hospitalization. One doctor she knew very well became a total nut case but, was not taken off Larium since he was "in theater". Once stateside and on his way to a dishonorable discharge for mental illness related reasons, he made a miraculous recovery and returned to the operating room.

Was it Larium or, Larium in combination with something else? Who knows.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Larium was not taken in conjunction with other drugs or alcohol. Where I was it was very hard to source the latter anyway.

My reactions were intense-vivid "nightmares", even if I just nodded off to sleep in the chopper during daytime. Also some very dark thoughts, so much that I stopped the course whilst still exposed to possible malarial infectrion, the latter was preferable.

With doxy about 2yrs continuous use i developed myalga-neuralgia in my legs which went away once I stopped use. It is one of the less likely side-effects. I never had skin burn and avoided stomach issues by taking with food.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
My Larium was not taken in conjunction with other drugs or alcohol. Where I was it was very hard to source the latter anyway.

My reactions were intense-vivid "nightmares", even if I just nodded off to sleep in the chopper during daytime. Also some very dark thoughts, so much that I stopped the course whilst still exposed to possible malarial infection, the latter was preferable.

With doxy about 2yrs continuous use i developed myalga-neuralgia in my legs which went away once I stopped use. It is one of the less likely side-effects. I never had skin burn and avoided stomach issues by taking with food.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larium actually mellows my normal dreams out, a little.

I have taken it as long as 75 days, once a week of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be going to Namibia in May. Our Doctor son-in-law has given us a prescription for Doxycycline (It's on the CDC list). He says with this drug in your system you don't have to worry about Malaria.
We will take the first dose on arriving in Africa, then one a day for 7 days. We both have taken this drug in the past for colds and such with no ill effects.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser98,

Just be very careful with the sun exposure. Doxy makes you very sensitive to sun burn. Also Doxy may give you terrible stomach upset and screaming diarrhea exacerbated by diet change. Sounds like fun!

We used to use Larium but I think it made me anxious. Switched to Malarone and have not been aware of any side effects since starting its use.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K98 - I agree with Mark on this one too. Sun sensitive reactions can be dangerous, stomach upset/diarrhea equals potential dehydration, and most of all, my Docs are telling me a lot of malaria strains out there now are resistant to Doxy. I have used Malarone over a dozen times now without side effects and best of all NO Malaria. Way to many negatives on Doxy to go with it in my opinion. Also as posted on a several other threads here Doxy is very hard to get right now and over the top in price.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote