New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey, a friend just noticed that his passport is expiring in April this year. He's not planning a trip abroad in the near future, but you never know when a great deal on a hunt might pop up. What's the current turn-around timeframe for a renewal? For those that have used one of the services that expedites the process, is that worthwhile?

Posts: 20137 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The last i read, the government is running late on returning pass port renewals.

They were changing over to a new system

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1591 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a means to expedite the process, the directions to which can be found in the renewal paperwork obtainable online. I got behind the curve last year. I followed the instructions in the paperwork, and paid an additional fee if I remember. I got a new one back in about 3 weeks. This was in early March of last year.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
8 - 11 weeks
U.S. State Department Passport Renewal Timelines:
Routine renewal: 8 - 11 weeks. Expedited renewal: 5 - 7 weeks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1591 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks guys...I'll pass it on.

Posts: 20137 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Banana Republic!

Here you order electronically and guaranteed delivery in 24 hours!

In a hurry?

Go to the passport office and get yours in minutes! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67357 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Banana Republic!

In a hurry?

Well, since there are only about 1 million citizens instead of 320 million- and a chunk of them are members of the royal family-it should be quicker…… Cool

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13228 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Banana Republic!

In a hurry?

Well, since there are only about 1 million citizens instead of 320 million- and a chunk of them are members of the royal family-it should be quicker…… Cool

Biden, Kamala, Trump, Pelosi, Boxer, Schumer are great leaders.

Let us not forget The Butt either.

Trains crashing like dead flies!

Illegals coming from the south and north. clap

Posts: 67357 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Right on the money, Saeed! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I did mine in December and I got it in January.

The kids and wife are getting their photos and submission on Friday. I'll post updates when I know what the timeline is.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to a regional passport office and tell them you have immediate travel needs you can often get them the same day. My brother got on at the Miami passport office last month and it only took a couple of hours.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
If you go to a regional passport office and tell them you have immediate travel needs you can often get them the same day. My brother got on at the Miami passport office last month and it only took a couple of hours.

Stating immediate travel plans is not enough. You need a record locator confirming imminent plans.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I suppose the difference between our countries and passports is very simple.

We get passports almost as soon as children are born.

Everyone travels.

I have known friends in the US in their 50s who have never had a passport or traveled abroad.

Nothing wrong with that, just two different societies with different priorities.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everyone travels.

I have known friends in the US in their 50s who have never had a passport or traveled abroad.

Nothing wrong with that, just two different societies with different priorities.

True..

Even today it is not uncommon to meet people here in the US that have never even left their home state..

I grew up on a dairy farm - furthest I ever went from home was the neighboring state until I went in the service...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Hey, a friend just noticed that his passport is expiring in April this year. He's not planning a trip abroad in the near future, but you never know when a great deal on a hunt might pop up. What's the current turn-around timeframe for a renewal? For those that have used one of the services that expedites the process, is that worthwhile?

I think the more pressing question is,

"will his wife let him leave Texas?"

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:

Stating immediate travel plans is not enough. You need a record locator confirming imminent plans.

He was not required to provide documentation but was prepared to buy a cheap ticket to the Bahamas if necessary.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You might wish to bear in mind some countries require a minimum number of months in validity of your passport before allowing you in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Visa free most of the world!

Read the article, wish I had one of these!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2812 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about passports.

We arrived in Zimbabwe, and I had my passport, and Walter's passport in my hand as I handed them to the immigration offuicer, together with 2 $20 bills.

As they charged that amount for entry.

At that time Libya was in very good friendly terms with Mugabe.

The officer stamps my passport, and hands it back, together with my $20 bill, saying "Arabs are our friends. We don't charge them"

Walter says "What about Germans?"

The officer smiles and says "we are happy to take your money!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I did ours this last fall about 5 weeks.

You can pay extra for fast service.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I sent our renewal in yesterday, need to have them back before June.
My wife’s assistant and her husband applied for a new (first time) passport in late December and received it last week, not too bad.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2812 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Someone just told me Yesterday a Passport Expires 6 Months before the Expiration Date? They just went threw it.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Someone just told me Yesterday a Passport Expires 6 Months before the Expiration Date? They just went threw it.

You can travel before the 6 month before your passport expires.

You just need to be back in the states before it expires.

That is one reason you need to make sure you have some blank pages and your passport is good for 6 months after you arrive in your country of choice.

Also you can ask to have your passport renewed 1 year before it expires. Which i did.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s not really true. Most foreign countries require a passport with 6 months remaining but as far as the US is concerned, the passport is good till it’s expiration date.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That’s not really true. Most foreign countries require a passport with 6 months remaining but as far as the US is concerned, the passport is good till it’s expiration date.

And what good is that if you cannot get into other countries?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly. It seems like a silly policy until you factor in the longest duration a visa may be granted in the country you may be visiting.

I’ve only traveled to Argentina a few times since the coronavirus prohibitions loosened. I was there 4-7 weeks or so each time. Upon entry or exit, my passport was not stamped. It also was not stamped upon US entry.

I enjoyed having the stamps to help my memories, but it appears it has all become digitized without the ink stamp.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never tried to visit a country that I couldn’t get into, usually with no visa required. Of course, I don’t try to visit Iraq, North Korea, Iran and other such tourist havens. The 6 month remaining requirement is not a US requirement. popcorn

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The validity of your passport, whether you require a visa or not, is almost always six months PAST THE TIME OF THE EXPIRY OF YOUR VISIT!

It also applies to anyone coming to the US!

The US requires it.

Trying to travel with a passport that expires less than six months ahead is asking for trouble!

I know, it doesn’t make since, but a fact of travel life!

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everyone travels.

I am kind of an American outlier. I have spent over 13 years of my life in 7 countries all over the world.

There are 5 reasons I believe that Americans do not leave our borders.

1. English, most of us only speak English. So it makes it harder for those that want to travel, because they are not comfortable.

2. Our own size and lack of proximity to other nations leaves us kind feeling uncomfortable in foreign environments. So when we leave we go to Canada, but Canada is not the same so we just drive through Canada to get to Alaska. Not really enjoying Canada like we should. I had a Canadian girlfriend I lived with in Vancouver when I was in the US Navy and I would drive back and forth every day after work. Not every American feels as comfortable even in Canada as they do in America.

America is also massively diverse, if you include our island territories and states and South Florida we have hundreds of tropical destinations for those that want that. Alaska offers the arctic, fjords, and a wilderness experience.

We have ancient civiliations with our American indians in the South West that are still alive.

And of course to me we have the Rocky Mountains that in many ways are better than the Alps.

3. Our passport expense and the drama of getting one stand in the way. It cost our family of 5 about $650 to get new passports and cards. Not a lot of money to most, but to some it is huge. We are on the opposite side of the world from Europe and it cost a lot to take a big family to travel those distances. So we tend to go to Orlando.

4. Cost of life: Speaking of families, we tend to have bigger families than other nations do. Catholics and Mormons generally have 4-6 kids. Often both parents work to make life work. America is expensive, we have some of the most expensive food and housing cost on the planet. Our society is set up to require cars, and there are lots of extra cost involved in our lives that many in Europe don't have.

5. The cultural envelopment that happens in travel is often lost on those that have never travelled. Our own National or Regional pride also squashes the desire of a lot of Americans to travel. I moved from Australia to Kentucky, I had to stop telling people I had moved there from Australia. They looked at me like I had 4 heads.

For me none of these apply and I have travelled and lived all over the world. But for a lot of Americans these are the reasons they don't travel.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
My sons did their first passport application at the end of December. I renewed mine that was 2 years expire same time. Had them back 2nd week of February.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked a hunt and realized that my passport expired before departure. Have to have six months on it to get a visa as well. I just contacted G3 Global Services to get my passport renewed on an expedited basis. I also use them for visas. There's a charge, but their estimate is 5-7 WEEKS otherwise. And then you are depending on government employees to do their job. I'll pay the fee, but next time, I'll renew sooner. If there is a next time.

Posts: 10125 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Also, the US government website for applying for a passport renewal online is down for upgrade, since 3/8 with no anticipated time to go back on line. I'd recommend G3. They are walking me through this ridiculous process.

Posts: 10125 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Biebs,
Also, the US government website for applying for a passport renewal online is down for upgrade, since 3/8 with no anticipated time to go back on line. I'd recommend G3. They are walking me through this ridiculous process.

I hear it is quicker in Zimbabwe! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never had the slightest problem.

As we Boy Scouts used to say, and maybe still do, semper paratus.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
On the subject of Boy Scout Preparation.... the classic from Tom Lehrer:

https://youtu.be/gkrheaWuShU

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u...en-state-department/

State Department facing "unprecedented demand" for passports, Blinken says
BY CARA TABACHNICK

UPDATED ON: MARCH 25, 2023 / 5:14 PM / CBS NEWS

The U.S. State Department is facing "unprecedented demand" for passports as Americans gear up for renewed travel after the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday.

"We're getting 500,000 applications a week for a passport. That's 30 to 40% above last year, so it's dramatic," Blinken said in response to a question about extended wait times for U.S. passport renewals and visa applications during a House Appropriations subcommittee budget hearing.

During the pandemic, the "bottom basically dropped out of the system," Blinken said, and "demand went way down." Since the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, travel has roared back, with 52% of all Americans planning to travel in the next six months, said the U.S. Travel Association, a nonprofit organization that seeks to promote travel to and within the U.S.

A record number of passports — 22 million — were issued in fiscal year 2022. Blinken said the State Department is "on track to break" that record in 2023.

Blinken said the State Department has made a concerted effort to boost its staffing and resources dedicated to processing passport and visa applications after having to cut back during the height of the pandemic.

"I have a task force established at headquarters to marshall all of these efforts so that we're really digging in on this," Blinken said. "We're authorizing overtime, we've opened satellite offices."

"I think it's really important that we be as clear and transparent as possible with people who are looking for passports to know what they can expect," he added.

Blinken said the standard processing time for a passport currently "takes about 10 to 13 weeks" and an expedited request takes roughly "seven to nine weeks." These processing times only apply to new applications submitted on or after March 24, the State Department said in a news release. Processing time begins the day an application is received and does not include mailing time, the statement read.

In 2022, the State Department launched an online renewal pilot because, Blinken said, passport holders should be able to renew online "and not have to come in the passport center with all the resources that requires."

"We expect that 65% of renewal customers for passports will be able to do so online once this program is fully up and running on the visa side," Blinken said.

Delay times for visas have started to recede, Blinken said. Global wait times are two months in most places, half of what it was a year ago, he said. The State Department is prioritizing visas that have an economic impact, particularly for students, temporary workers, business travelers and maritime crews.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9407 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
I wonder why each state doesn’t have passport office

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why each state doesn’t have passport office

We do. Here's from the U.S. Department of State's Travel.State.Gov

"We have three options to submit your application: at an acceptance facility, by mail, or at a passport agency or center. Where you apply depends on how fast you need your passport, and what passport form you are submitting. Learn more about each option on this page.

Acceptance Facilities
There are over 7,000 acceptance facilities. These locations:

Include post offices, clerks of court, public libraries, and other local government offices.
Are searchable by city, state, and zipcode.
May require appointments.
Accept Form DS-11 passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. They do not accept Form DS-82 or Form DS-5504.
Offer routine or expedited service.
Charge an additional fee, known as an execution fee.
Do not offer service faster than expedited processing. If you need to travel urgently, see Get my Passport Fast to learn about other options.
May host special passport fairs on evenings and weekends."