New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass/Bullets to RSA&ZIM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm overnighting in Joburg enroute to Zim next month and was planning to bring some extra brass and a few boxes of bullets for a friend. I'm already at my 5kg ammo limit should anyone bother to weigh it, and the headstamp of the empty brass matches one of my rifles.

Is there any problem with this? Has anyone else here done it?

I ask because I had a TSA moron freak out (start screaming, called the airport police, etc) a few years ago after discovering bullets (NOT Ammo!!!) in my luggage. They kept me for over an hour while they tried to find a law I'd broken before graciously deciding they would let me continue with my trip. I definitely wish to avoid a repeat with their foreign counterparts.

Thanks,
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently, your TSA guy is as knowing as the equivalent in Canada, ....went through the same BS, then when he opened the box of bullets, didn't know what they were, expecting cartidges. But the box said "bullets" and that was good enough for him.
However, when leaving Reno this year, I asked the TSA folks about bullets in baggage. Reply was "Of course they're okay, half the folks from the SCI show had bullets in their bags, ...they're no danger!"
So, have a copy of IATA rules to show,...then you're in the clear.

~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

While you might be able to talk your airline into letting you fly with more than the 5kg weight limit, you MIGHT have difficulty at the other end.

I understand that RSA now will apply the same requirement that ammo match your rifle caliber, to bullets as well.

AND, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE BULLETS ["bullet tips" or "bullet heads"] THAT YOU ARE ENTERING ZIMBABWE WITH ON YOUR FIREARMS/AMMO DECLARATION. Do not even THINK about not declaring them.

I don't know if there is a limit to the total number you may bring in, but if the bullets you are taking put you over the limit - don't take them!

Believe me, IATA rules, airline rules, nor common sense matter a bit to someone that has no idea what a bullet, or cartridge is and/or what the difference is. It's not worth the hassle!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

There is no "Oh! It will probably be all right". Take only ammo that matches your specific rifle calibers and screw the additional bullets and brass. As Les expereinced the African Customs /Police are incredibly ignorant about such things and that can work against you to the extreme.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys guys. It's not worth the hassle.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How times have changed!

A long time ago, I shipped, ahead of me, several cases of shotgun ammo, 5,000 rounds of 22 rim fire ammo, several boxes of cast bullets, 2 rifles and their ammo.

When I got to Vic Falls, they were all lined up outside the storage room at customs.

When I was asked what was in the wooden boxes, I said "ammunition for our hunt".

The ladt stamped the permit, and I was out of the airport less than ten minutes from the plane landing!!?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...brass and bullets in their basic form do not constitute "AMMUNITION" Therefore, the weight restriction does not apply.

Obviously, the additional weight of the components add to your checked baggage total weight...not to exceed 50lbs.

Through the years, I have taken like components (brass & bullets) to Zim, and not once was I hassled by TSA in the US, or foreign officials in Africa.

Having said that: Be prepared for some yahoo to foist their "power" on you, the traveler, and seize the inert components. To avoid complications, have a copy of the regs in your kit, and be prepared to present them.

Good luck

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
On several occasions I have provided "mule" service - to carry hard to get bullets -- never had any problems on either end - but must admit my concern level was considerably elevated --not sure I will do that again.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reiterate.

While you may be able to reason with the airline personel and maybe even the TSA, I would not count on my powers of persuasion in South Africa, and absolutely not in Zimbabwe.

While, you probably can bring bullets into either of those countries if they match the caliber rifles you are also bringing in, I would assume that the number of "bullets" will count towards your total permitted. I don't know that for a fact, but I can assure you that the average Customs, Security, or RZP [Zimbabwe Police] officer has no idea that there is any difference between "cartridge" and "bullet".

If you declare everything at entry, you will probably be OK. Do not even think about not declaring them, or forget to declare them. If they should find them, [or if they have already searched your bags and know that they are there] you may be in for a most unenjoyable experience. I can only imagine what the Harare or Bulawayo jails are like.

Even if you have done this before, or have "always" done this, that was then, this is now. It's probably not worth the hassle.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhowell: And just where did you come up with "You must declare" components when entering Zim??

I was there last March-April, and not one word was spoken in reference to unloaded brass/bullets.

Just curious?

one of us
posted Hide Post
tsibindi

PM sent.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have persistend problems at Victoria falls with guys being hasseled (or worse) over handguns, ammo for which they do not have a rifle etc.

Firearms and ammo Temp permits can be obtained in advance.

If you are Arrested or seriously hastled in Zim

Phone - Snr Assistant Commisioner Rodias Charinda- 011-801-233. He is the head of CID

The registra of firearms is Mr Jonnerthan Tavengwa - Office 04 (harare) 708770.

Neighter will appreciate your call Wink but both will put sundry snot gobblers and oxygen thieves at the airport/border post in their correct hole.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote