THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Going from Heathrow to Johannesburg with ammo ??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going from Heathrow to Johannesburg with ammo ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend just phoned me and asked if he has to take his ammunition in a third set of luggage from London down to Johannesburg .. ??? I have been looking at British Air web site but am worn out trying to figure it out ??? !! Grrrrr !!! Mad What is the latest scoop ??? Confused Smiler popcorn beerThanks in advance ..

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No! Just pack the ammo in the regular checked luggage. He also needs to declare it to BA 48 hours out before deaprture. If traveling through RSA I highly recommend he packs the ammo in a seperate locking case which can be packed in the regular luggage.

It's just so much more simple to use a travel agent Like Gracy that is intimately familiar with these procedures. They wll prompt you on everything and you can leave the hand ringing to them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. That is all that I have ever done but with the way things are always changing ..

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Africa via london both ways. British Airways was the carrier and they are presently not consistent in their application of the rules. Regardless of what info airlines post it is good to have your ammo in a lockable case. I use those little flimsy TSA locks to meet the spirit of the rules. We got to Dallas to check in with BA and I declared the rifle and ammo. No problems except they said they had not been notified their 72 hours advance. However GRacy travel to notify them. Teh ammo in the locked box stayed in the luggage which also had a flimsy TSA lock on it. Got to Jo Berg and before i got out to meet Bruce from Gracy a BA employee came up to me and said if the ammo was not separate of the luggage next time there would be big trouble. Ok...I was willing to take it out had they asked in Dallas. So on the return again I declared the rifle and ammo in both Victoria falls and in Jo Berg. Now they were interested in getting the ammo out of the luggage in Jo berg. So they found the bag brought it to the gate as i was getting on the plane to unlock the bag to take the ammo box and send it separate. I would again default to the most stringent requirements and still there is no guarantee you will not get hasseled. rememer to do with the flow. If it looks as if a plan is to be made it will work out. You can get more with sugar than with salt. BTW my rifle is still not here but they have located it. So that is the good news.

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote