New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overnight in Joburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Other than Afton House, does anyone have recommendations on where to stay?? Thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Holiday Inn at the airport is nice.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Another great guest lodge close to the the airport is African Sky Guest House.

http://www.africasky.co.za/index.php

They are familiar with hunters travel with sporting weapons.

Steve

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Intercontinental Hotel in the airport.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 16 May 2009 02:06 Hide Post
I like the Intercontinental Hotel in the airport.

+1 Even I can find the Intercontinental! But I will try the Afton House one of these days.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at the Airport Grand Hotel twice, and will again. Very nice place with a bar & full restaurant. I have also stayed at the Southern Sun, very very nice. A little pricey, but Delta was paying that time.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been forced to stay at the Southern Sun twice because of QANTAS screw ups..........great bar(terrific selection of single malts) and the food is good, even the breakfast Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Esplanade Tours, one of the most experienced hunting tour operators, recommends the Metcourt and the 3 other adjacent Peermont Hotels. Excellent properties within the airport grounds with a very very secure armory for firearms. Private transfers can be arranged and there is a free shuttle. www.esplanadetours.com

Posts: 14 | Location: Live Free or Die State | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'll be traveling through Joburg on the 4th, staying for 11 hours, then traveling on the 5th to Windhoek. With this short a time, would it be best to just stay at one of the airport hotels? Suggestions please.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there just ain't no other place than the afton house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevenmagltd,

Have you asked Kathi, she might be able to help.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gazi, the reason I'm asking is because she didn't followup with reservations on some buddies of mine so they are out of a place to stay, just trying to find a place on short notice. I put a lot of trust in her and she dropped the ball. Live and learn!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Hunting African Travel Overnight in Joburg

I have stayed at the African Sky that Steve recommended earlier. The food was great(breakfast) and it was close and quite convenient. I would stay there again.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've tried most of them, but my favorite has become the Southern Sun -- not too terribly pricey; as convenient to the airport as one can get; and, a great restaurant -- probably the best breakfast in town.

If I'm connecting to a flight at that airport, I doubt that I'll ever stay anywhere else again.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact the Afton house directly.
If he is full, he has a friend nearby that also runs a "house". I stayed there once it is very nice as are the people that own it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did contact Afton House and they are booked up. Kathi said she made reservations and didn''t confirm, blamed it on them. I got some help from Steve Turner who steared me in the right direction. Kathi won't even respond to my emails but that's alright, after sending her over two dozen customers, I'm done with her. I know guys on this site brag about her and she did help me with no problems last year but she has flat dropped the ball big time this year. Makes no difference, like I said, I'm done with her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...now that is BAD....Thanks for the heads-up!

I hope you get something secured right away and safe!

Take care!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote