Find
Notify
Tools

Form 4457 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted
I have read over and over here that these do not expire.

But when downloading in preparation for an upcoming trip, I notice on the top right corner of the form there is an expiration date of 8/31/2012.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

Has the 4457 form been updated/replaced?

Any insight is appreciated. I am a few hundred miles from ANY CBP offices and would like to have everything in order before I make the trip.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Looked at mine and they do not have an exp date on them.

Went to the government web site and could not find anything on the exp date for the form.

It does have a web question location and you could ask the government for an answer or check with your local customs person.

I did down load a 4457 form and it had a 2010 exp date on it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
That expiration date is for internal use of the government for keeping track of forms that may be updated from time to time. It does not mean that the information you provide for the form becomes invalid or that the form needs to be updated.

I have a couple of 4457's that I have used since the late '90's. Just get them stamped and signed by Customs, make a few copies and laminate them and you're good to go.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Do you guys get new ones when your address changes?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I do and have.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Sevens

The information on your 4457 form need to be current to be legal.

The answer to your question is YES if you move or have an address change you will need new 4457 forms.

I moved in 2010 and went and obtained 2 new 4457 form for 2 different rifles.

I did not obtain new ones for my shotguns as i do not think i will be taking them to mexico.

Now bear in mind that if customs goes through your bags and see your camera and binoculars and they are not american made you will need a 4457 form or the sales receipt showing your purchase. I know i was asked in 2010 while going through customs in Seattle. Lucky for me i did have a 4457 form for them as they were new that year when i went on safari.

quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Do you guys get new ones when your address changes?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote