THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Lithium Battery Checkin Problems?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lithium Battery Checkin Problems?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted
I read somewhere that the airlines aren't allowing lithium batteries in luggage unless they are in their original packs or are in the device. Has anyone had an experience being stopped for this or had their batteries confiscated? I have spare lithium camera batteries that don't have a case and can't all be in the camera at the same time.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been questioned about my spare batteries; however, on my last trip to zim this past march something crushed one of my spare surefire batteries, which was ruined; so next trip I will store all my spare batteries in some sort of plastic case

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Bryan, get a sure fire battery carrier, they are made of High impact plastic, holds 6 batterys and the bulb assembly in the middle, works great and waterprooof.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it...I hand carried my sure-fire flashlight and lithium batteries in my back pack along with my optics, and went thru just fine all the way to Jo-berg. I guess it depends on the carrier and who's on shift...

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can carry as many lithium 123 batteries (as in Surefire flashlights) that you want. They need to be packed in your "carry on" and not the checked bags. I took 48 in their original boxes with no problem. TSA website has all this information, and I took a copy with me just in case it was needed at security. It was not needed. Lithium camera batteries are also discussed on the TSA site, didn't take any of these, so can't attest to this one. The supposed fear in having lithium batteries in checked luggage is there is no way to get to it in flight if they were to cause a fire, thus the reasoning for having them at hand in a carry on bag in the cabin. Hope this helps.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that does help. I was planning on carrying them all in my carry-on anyway.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, not being smart enough to know better, I have, in the past, carried all my spare batteries in the checked baggage; that's how the battery was damaged. Will try to get the surefire carrier AKsheephunter suggested. thanks!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote