New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA Locks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can TSA locks be used on international flights? Since TSA is a domestic authority, would other countries have access to TSA locks, making them ok to use?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that the airport officials in South America do not have a "TSA Key" to open the locks. I would guess that other countries are similar. It was no problem to use TSA locks I just had to open the gun case for them to take a look.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I am assuming that a person would not want to use TSA locks on checked baggage in other countries, as they would have no way to look in your bag if they wanted to. Is this right?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
PRCA Million Dollar Club

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use TSA locks on checked baggage but realize that if the other countries want to look inside your bag when you are not present they will cut the locks off. I never use the TSA locks on my rifle case as I believe the rules here are that you are the only one suppose to have access to your case. TSA checks the guns when you check-in and in other countries they are checked when you are present and filling out all the necesary paperwork.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks David

I am under the same assumption as you concerning access to my guns and I dont use TSA locks on them.

I was going to use TSA locks on my checked bag as I was going to put my Leica rangefinding binos in it. Some of the folks on here have warned about taking a laser rangefinder on the plane. I have always done so but and never had a problem but obviously some people have and I didnt want to take a chance.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the internal laser componets show up a different color on the X ray machine. Is this what sets off a flag with the security? If not I do not know how they could know that it was a laser rangefinder and not jsut a pair of binoculars, unless they were told by the owner(I am talking about the units that are bino/rangefinder of course, not just rangefinding units). Anybody know?

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
PRCA Million Dollar Club

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leica rangefinding binos

Thoose will be stolen in checked bags. I took a pair on the plane in June no one asked. I have taken a plain Leica Range Finder in carry on and no one has ever asked.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never use the TSA locks on my rifle case as I believe the rules here are that you are the only one suppose to have access to your case. TSA checks the guns when you check-in and in other countries they are checked when you are present and filling out all the necesary paperwork.

that is how i read the regulations, I only use the old tuffpack with old style lock.

I was getting a 4457 in Tampa this year and there was a TSA Agent in the room that liked guns and he confirmed what you said. He said he would not let a gun case on the plane with TSA locks because the crooks also have TSA Keys.

He said always use regular locks and after check in go with your case to TSA Screening and make sure it goes through ok.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
PRCA Million Dollar Club

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Thanks David

I am under the same assumption as you concerning access to my guns and I dont use TSA locks on them.

I was going to use TSA locks on my checked bag as I was going to put my Leica rangefinding binos in it. Some of the folks on here have warned about taking a laser rangefinder on the plane. I have always done so but and never had a problem but obviously some people have and I didnt want to take a chance.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the internal laser componets show up a different color on the X ray machine. Is this what sets off a flag with the security? If not I do not know how they could know that it was a laser rangefinder and not jsut a pair of binoculars, unless they were told by the owner(I am talking about the units that are bino/rangefinder of course, not just rangefinding units). Anybody know?

No way should anything go in checked baggage that is worth stealing. I carry-on all my expensive stuff that won't go in the rifle case. Binos & camera gear go with me every where I go. The rifle case is locked & often handled by security people so binos in the Tuffpak I would do.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj338 is correct do not put anything in regular chcked luggage of any value.

I have not had any problem getting camera, binos, or extra rifle scopes in their mounts on the plane in my checked luggage.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Fredj338 is correct do not put anything in regular chcked luggage of any value.

I have not had any problem getting camera, binos, or extra rifle scopes in their mounts on the plane in my checked luggage.

I agree, too many baggage handlers with sticky fingers. Take anything of value on the plane in your carry-on.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Also, if you have soft luggae, I zip-tie or duct tape over the zipper pulls. Anything you can do to limit access is going to help. Most thefts are bnag-bang jobs, in & out in 15-20sec.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I carried a Leica 1200 rangefinder to Namibia in June/July in my carry on. I went thru security in Dallas, Frankfurt, and Windhoek, both ways minus Dallas on the return with no problem. I'm leaving for RSA Monday and will have it in my carry on, hopefully with the same result. Otherwise I'd for sure put it in my tuffpak/guncase instead of in my checked normal luggage. In this case I'm not carrying firearms so that option is not available.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the TSA was started I have found their "statement of search" paper in my regular checked baggage on every domestic flight.

I have never seen any evidence of my regular checked bags being opened by airport personel outside of the USA.

My bags have also been locked with TSA locks.

Also I have never had to go through customs with my regular checked baggage, only through the Gun permitting area. My Regular bags have never been looked at.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To follow the letter of the law (USA) you should not use TSA locks on your gun case because in theory someone with a TSA lock key could open your gun case. Having said that since the TSA locks have become larger and more sturdy I have used them on all my luggage incluing the the gun case. I do put a regular key lock in the gun case in case there is a question but there has been none at this point. This is what I do and not a recommendation. I do recommend everybody use the TSA locks on their regular luggage as they are far handier than anything else.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others as far as carrying range finders,cameras etc.
Just back from Namibia and I took all my essentails, RF, bino's, video and a light change of clothes in my carry on. Still well inside the size and weight restrictions.
I don't lock my gun case, just a waste of a good lock. Mind you there is only a bow in it.
After 40 hrs of flying and 4 connections its always a relief to get your gun case.
Point is even if it was late arriving I could still get out and hunt with my camera and clothes I carried.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My SKB case came w/TSA locks, never a problem to Namibia in 2006.
Used a TSA padlock on a pistol case, inside a checked bag that was also TSA locked, on a flight from Houston Hobby to N.O., La. and back w/o any problems. Southwest flight both ways.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just buy yourself a pair of good Masterlocks and wear one key on a chain around your neck place the other in your wallet. Put your binos,range finder,etc in your gun case and lock it up after you have the case inspected. No one will open it until you are in customs when you will need to open it before the agents.
Also while at it make copies of your 4457, MedJet insurance policy and passport then tape one set of copies inside the lid of your gun case for emergency purposes.You should also scan those papers making a file on your PC then email that file to yourself and a friend so you can access that file from anywhere there is internet sevice should you loose the originals or copys and need proof of them....I was glad I did that more than once!

No Quarter Given Nor Asked

Posts: 28 | Location: My heart is in the Selous my home is in NY | Registered: 28 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from 16 days in Nmibia, had TSA locks on everything. My first problem is Delta sent my bags on through to Windhoek even though I asked them not to since I was overnighting in Jobergh. When I arrived in Windhoek, my bow case,,, it looks like a gun case and bag had been sitting in the baggage area, apparently arrived on an earlier flight and anyone, TSA locks or not could have wheeled them right out of the airport. Locks are for honest people to respect

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was leaving Reno for my return home to Alaska I opened the TSA locks for the TSA to inspect my gun case. When the locks were open the gal keep turning the number dials until she reset my combination. The had to get two upper level supervisors for the key, when they showed up the keys are HUGE and on a big ring. I was worried that everyone and their brother had a key, but not so. The airline lost my rifles for two days so everything is still normal.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote