Notify
Tools

10 most dangerous airlines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Look who's #9
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/...lines-171800816.html

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's ALOT better than #1. I don't care for flying at all but, sometimes I have to have a few more drinks!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Okay, just where do the Russians, East Europeans and whole slew of African airlines, never mind American liners which keep TV shows like "60 Seconds Remaining" [?] on air, fit in? Jes askin. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus
I fully understand what you're saying, but I don't have a ticket booked with those airlines & I do have 1 with SAA.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be flying with #7 next week. Very comforting!! Smiler

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hell, in the last few years alone, Aeroflot has had a lot of crashes/fatalities. can't believe they didn't make the list. something is really weird here.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Great. I've flown one and flying 2 in the next 2 weeks.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont see : take a chance airline ...

since 1983 : 9 hulls lost and 357 victims ....

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
are you referring to TACA? just curious...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the above stats take into account the number of flights. Five hull losses and a few hundred deaths might be ok if the airline runs 10x as many flights as the airline with two hull losses and a hundred deaths.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Scriptus
I fully understand what you're saying, but I don't have a ticket booked with those airlines & I do have 1 with SAA.

Shitty African Airlines does give cause for concern when it comes to leg room, customer care and so on, but they only ever lost one liner and that was probably something in the cargo hold. Putting SAA in the top ten is really bent and skewed statistics put out by a rival like Zimbabwe Air. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
are you referring to TACA? just curious...

no just Air France ....

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Putting SAA in the top ten is really bent and skewed statistics put out by a rival like Zimbabwe Air. Big Grin

And, if I recall correctly, Air Zim lost its last plane (at least a loss involving fatalities)when it was shot down during the wars and it obviously wasn't even called "Air Zim" then. Tough to hold them accountable for getting shot down. Now, that said, Kenya Air scares the crap out of me to this day. I was on a flight to Cairo years ago and noted to my wife that the area around our window had been sloppily sealed with what looked like bathroom caulking. Might not have been anything to worry about but I thought the cosmetics of it didn't bode well for other maintenance protocols. Then, on the same flight, I could see and smell smoke filling the cabin. Being a bit panicky and wrongfully thinking that there was anything to be done if we were actually on fire, I jumped out of my seat and started moving toward the source of the smoke to help. My wife pulled me back into the seat and simply said, "What the hell are you doing?". Upon inquiry, the flight crew had accidentally set fire to some meals. All was well for the remainder of the flight.
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Putting SAA in the top ten is really bent and skewed statistics put out by a rival like Zimbabwe Air. Big Grin

And, if I recall correctly, Air Zim lost its last plane (at least a loss involving fatalities)when it was shot down during the wars and it obviously wasn't even called "Air Zim" then. Tough to hold them accountable for getting shot down. Big Grin

Hhmmnn1 Yes! All good statistics for Air Zim. Wonder why they are banned from European Airspace? Something to do with maintenance, or lack thereof as well wobbly navigational systems and non functional radar. shocker space

How true this is, I cannot vouch, but an acquaintance once told me that he was waiting to board a turbo prop Russian craft in the Congo, when he observed one of the flight crew boarding with briefcase in one hand and a small roll of fencing wire and a big pair of Willis fencing pliers in the other. He did board the flight but it was about a week before his anal sphincter relaxed. Cool

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
All good statistics for Air Zim. Wonder why they are banned from European Airspace? Something to do with maintenance, or lack thereof as well wobbly navigational systems and non functional radar.

Well, that is the problem with statistics...they can tell you all about how safe things WERE without saying much at all if the conditions that led to that safety have changed. I am obviously not 100% confident in Air Zim's present maintenance practices. Similarly, I got a bit uncomfortable with Egyptair after one of their pilots simply disengaged the autopilot, said, "I put my trust in God", and let go of the controls ....REPEATEDLY... until they all dropped into the Atlantic.

Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The statistic you need is the number of passenger miles per fatality. If a carrier only flew 10 times and lost only one plane they have a very bad rating versus an airline with billions of miles and two planes lost.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
I don't believe the above stats take into account the number of flights. Five hull losses and a few hundred deaths might be ok if the airline runs 10x as many flights as the airline with two hull losses and a hundred deaths.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

I always thought a client dying was never okay ...

I would be curious if they could embellish the statistic and state was type of planes and where the planes crashed. A bunch of airbus 380 crashes over the Atlantic ocean might make me fly Delta.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

I always thought a client dying was never okay ...
I would be curious if they could embellish the statistic and state was type of planes and where the planes crashed. A bunch of airbus 380 crashes over the Atlantic ocean might make me fly Delta.

Well, airlines (just like anyone) can't help that we live in an imperfect world where machines break and people make mistakes and sometimes half a dozen unrelated events coincide leading to a catastrophe. There may be an airline out there with a 100% perfect safety record but I can tell you that I would rather fly on one that has been in business for 50 years and had two fatal crashes than one that has been in business for 5 years and had none.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew SA in 2002. On the way back with 4 hours to go to Atlanta the upper cabin filled with smoke. We started to divert to Bermuda which was 2 hrs away. Just before we got to Bermuda they found the problem, a shorted out windsheild defroster. Longest 2hrs of my life.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The original link doesn't work for me but this might be of interest.

As Scriptus says SAA were indeed moving a lot of dodgy gear around when the Heidelberg went down & it's generally believed it was carrying munitions the white Government (quite sensibly) didn't want the new incoming Government to get their hands on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
Since I have flights booked on SAA this summer, I like your info better.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air Canada is safe, just a collectivley stupid organzation with a monopoly to keep it alive.