THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Anywhere to shop as am departing at Johannesburg Airport? Question re mailing items?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anywhere to shop as am departing at Johannesburg Airport? Question re mailing items?
 Login/Join

Picture of TreeWalker
posted
I have never been to South Africa so would like to shop while there. The driver will pick me up at the airport, go to the hotel as they will not drive at night, then drive in daylight to the hunt. Similar on the way back where I will get to airport in the daylight directly from the ranch. So, any gifts I buy for the grandkids or wife will need to be the 12 days while in Limpopo or the few hours while am waiting to depart at the airport.

Are there any shops with interesting items to buy in the airport? Handmade toys or clothes or ??? What about bourbon selection or other interesting items at Duty Free?

Curveball. I am bringing postcards to mail from South Africa. I carry on the tradition of my favorite Uncle who traveled the world and would post postcards from far away countries to me who was a farm kid living on a gravel road in the Midwest. I send several dozen cards each time I travel.

There is a South African post office outside security at the airport which is handy for me though several people, including locals and foreigners, told me is risky to hand anything to the post office in South Africa. They say to wait to mail the postcards as arrive back in America. Was hoping could post with "exotic postmark" to family members and friends but hate to waste my time and postage on postcards that get lost before get to America. The postcards are correctly sized for South Africa standards and I know the correct South African postage amount.

Any advice?

Posts: 23 | Location: Northwest | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of shops inside OR Tambo where you can buy trinkets and just about anything. Also, I’d bet your driver stops, or will stop, at one of the many shops (though I’m told some prefer to stop at particular shops where they receive a small commission) on the highway back from Limpopo. I’d bet you can find what you’re looking for one place or the other. My wife always shops at a couple of the larger shops in the airport.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed! Last time thru O.R. Tembo we bought some pretty cool stuff right in the airport. Good variety African curios etc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JoBerg has surprisingly good shopping options and lounges in the International departures terminal. We picked up Springboks jerseys for the Rugby World Cup and there were tons of reasonably priced options. I like BidVest for a lounge.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Cambanso & Sons is not far from the airport, better prices. If only buying few items saving may be eaten up with transportation expense.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just shop in OR Tambo. I am currently living in Johannesburg and for what you want, Out of Africa and a number of other airport stores will likely have what you want. Close to where we are living there is the African Crafts Market in the Rosebank Mall. There's also a number of other African craft markets (i.e. Chameleon Mall, etc,) that are a fair distance out of Johannesburg that have a lot of stuff, but I would personally stick with the shops at O.R. Tambo.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

A I would not worry about sending post cards with SA Postal Service. They will arrive in the States within 2 weeks.

We used to send monthly biltong (jerky) packages to our youngest son when he was schooling in the UK. I think in 3 years only 2 no shows and not sure whether that was SA or the UK Post Office!

I would not worry about post cards.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote