Find
Notify
Tools

Driving time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
I noticed on a recent hunt report they drove directly too the Sengwe communal area from joburg. I think this option could save me 2 days travel time. Instead of spending a whole day flying to Harare and spending the night each way, then driving 5 hours south.

How long would the trip be? How would the cost compare to flying to Harare?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know what the procedure for rifle Permits is like at that corrupt Border Post.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Check with that duct-tape landrover fellah, Aubrey aka aubs458 Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Good evening Thunder Head

I've been to Zim a number of times this year and drive via Beit Bridge every time. I take it you will fly in to Joburg?

From Joburg to Beit Bridge is 5,5 hours depending on who is driving. It takes about 2 hours to cross both border posts (has been quicker, has been longer). Make sure your paper work is in order: have a Zim invitation letter and an SA invitation letter. The Zim import form is filled out 4 times so I would suggest carbon paper as they never have any. Make sure you have US$ in small bills. Your visa is US$55-00 and is issued on the spot. They also never have the correct change.

The import permit for the rifle(s) on the Zim side are issued on the spot. Make sure at all times you have your paper work handy because you will encounter a cops road block just outside of Beit Bridge before you take a right to Harare. I have not encountered any problems with passing through any of those road blocks except once when I was fined US$5-00 per passenger for not having white reflectors on the front of my truck!

From there it should be about 8 hours to Harare but that road is rather busy so add an extra hour. However, driving 5 hours back from Harare would leave you with about 3 hours from the Bridge. I know of no-one who would gladly drive you there so I have no idea on the cost involved for a transfer of that magnitude.

Hope this helps.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aubs can help you with any and all the details. he also has a vip service for permits in RSA(when he's not hunting) rotflmo check with him. he might even know where you could get a deal on a charter flight if you want one

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote