THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    To All You Seasoned Tuffpak Travelers.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To All You Seasoned Tuffpak Travelers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted
Been a while since I've used my Tuffpak going across pond. I know you can pack clothes, etc to help fill up space after firearms in padded cases. What is the concensus for how loose or how tight to put clothes in for best travel?
Also, do most leave bolts in or take out? If out out do you use bag that attaches to side or? I do have the bag that goes with it for easy removal at airport. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the point re putting extra stuff in there to help pad it- I have had the airport folks overseas say nothing but the gun allowed...

The more junk you put in there, the more likely the US guys are going to want to open it up and inspect everything... and if you pull the bolts, its a little more likely (in my experience) that TSA will say its OK after just xraying it. I tend to put the bolts in a pistol rug with extra padding as they tend to move some at times. Since I have started pulling the bolts, I have had less issue with the zero going out in transit.

The tuffsack for easy removal does help get things in and out, but then you have to deal with the sack... its 6 of one, half dozen of the other...

For me, 2 rifles (with scopes), the bolts, sling, hunting knife, and ammo belt and ammo carrier for the smaller gun tend to fill it up well, although sometimes I will throw a pair of shoes or extra boots in because I have no better place for them. That usually ends up right at around 50# (I do use particularly thick padded cases).

Using less thick cases, I have taken 3 rifles, but unless they are light, you might get dinged with overweight charges...

Posts: 11011 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I usually pack two rifles. A combination of either two doubles or a double and a bolt action, or two bolt actions. On bolt actions, the bolts are out and separately wrapped in old socks and each is placed in a separate Cordura zipped pouch attached to the inside of the TuffPak and clearly identified with marked tape. I always use a TuffSak-makes pulling out and putting back in easy for everyone involved. I also pack a soft fanny pack that has my hunting knife, various cleaning tools for the rifles (i.e. bore snakes) and optics, a multi-tool for the rifles and scopes, and a few other related things. My rifles are packed in soft side padded rifle cases inside the TuffSak since that is what I used once I get to camp to transport my rifles on the hunting truck and to store in camp. Every once in awhile I have putt a coat between the two soft rifle cases in the TuffPak and maybe an extra pair of shoes. To date, I've never had an issue with anyone at any airport. In fact, they are appreciative that everything is so organized and easy to get to and identify. I have also cut and placed large pieces of gray foam in the bottom and top of the TuffPak to lesson the shock on the contents from the airline gorillas.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I put my rifle barrel down in the tuffpak.

bolt is out and in the side pocket of the soft case that the rifle is in.

I put my back pack filled with items in the case first. then put the rifle and shotgun cases in next.

if you have room I put my shoes in a plastic bag and tie the top.

any additional items are in a plastic bag that is tied.

I find the plastic bags do not shift and stay in place.

I place a note at the Top in the case when they open it up telling them to just pull the gun out of the soft case if they want to inspect it and then slip it back into the case.

the above has worked.

I also put a list of items that are packed in the case.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for refreshing my memory. Some of it I remember when I looked down in it the foam in lid and bottom I did. Other ideas are very helpful to make it to and from.
Thanks a lot!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put two rifles in heavy gun slips. The slips are used in the gun racks on the cruiser.
I try to keep the weight below 50#. A down jacket or two, with the bolt stashed in a shoe. Expensive glass usually is in my carryon.
I try to keep the boot with the bolt near the top.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote