Notify
Tools

Routes to Joberg / Bulawayo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
All,

The She-Wolf and I are currently getting our travel plans fleshed out for our trip back to Zim in late March 09.

Things have certainly changed since our last trip in 2002; Capetown is no longer an arrival option (which is a disappointment as we love kicking around that part of the country). So, it appears that we'll be flying into Joberg before shuttling up to Bulawayo.

According to our travel guru, one option seems to be a complete milk-run: Houston to Chicago to Dulles to Joberg, then overnight and jump to Bulawayo. Option 2 would take us Houston / Frankfurt / Joberg.

As I'd prefer to minimize the number of opportunities that the baggage demons have at our luggage and gun cases, I'm considering the Frankfurt route. However, we've never "run guns" through Europe before...is Frankfurt a concern or am I just (as per usual) being overly paranoid?

All opinions will be considered, but those with actual experience will be given the most weight! Thanks in advance...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went Houston/Frankfurt/Windhoek in July. Checked baggage straight through to Windhoek. All baggage arrived when we did. I think Delta has a flight into Cape Town, but I don't know about a connection to Zim.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
In flying to Jo'burg and Bulawayo,I've been through Frankfurt coming and going and had no problems. The bags and guns will be checked through, so you won't have anything to worry about in that regard. Usually you're free to spend the day in Frankfurt sightseeing, etc. I've also flown Air France to and back through Paris, in going to Jo'burg and on to Bulawayo, without a hitch, staying overnight in Paris, at the Charles DeGaulle Airport Sheraton, and touring Paris one full day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who your travel guru is but I would use one very familair with Africa and traveling with guns. Kathi Klimes and Gracy Travel are very good. I would use the route they recommend.

BA is my personal preference and the airline that most often gets all your luggage and guns from point A to point B.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just returned from almost that same run, we did Dallas to Dulles to Joberg and instead of staying there we fly to Capetown from there (only a 2hr connection and that leg the flight on SAA is no charge) We got into capetown in time for dinner and a couple drinks and went to sleep at the perfect time to start adjusting to the change.

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies!

Taz, don't tempt me with Capetown...because I don't think the budget can stand a big tusker AND a trip to Capetown. Not these days anyway.

Sounds like my worries about Frankfurt may have been unfounded. Options, options, options...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Point Taken!