New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joburg procedure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,maybe a trivial question. I go to Harare in May. I am not decided if I go with my own rifle. Please how does the procedure with weapon in Joburg(check out and check in again,..?)look like. Are there any other add charges to Harare?
Thanks a lot.
Petr

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You need to bear in mind that the EU have an arms embargo to Zimbabwe and therefore in theory at least, if travelling from an EU country, you'd have to check rifle and ammo to jo'burg and then recheck it in for the next flight. BA are especially hot on that requirement.

This might help: http://www.shakariconnection.c...l-with-firearms.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve has this issue handled.

take his advice.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not that simple.

You can't "claim" a firearm at baggage claim at JNB, you have to "claim" it at the SAPS office on the other side of customs. The SAPS won't hand your gun to you without a SAPS520 permit. Even if you are only going to be there for one hour and then recheck the guns. You need a "transit" permit.

You can, in theory, have your airline check the bag all the way to HRE, IF they have a baggage agreement with SAA (I presume you are flying SAA to HRE). But that's a big IF. The last time I did that, my firearm ended up in the SAPS office anyway, and I had to clear immigration, go through customs, go to SAPS, and tell them to get the airline to recheck my bag to HRE. If it's a tight connection, your firearm may not make the connecting flight.

I don't think the ban on firearms to HRE is enforced by anyone other than the UK. I have had American clients fly through Spain, and Spanish clients fly from Spain, to Harare, without problems.

I have no clue what the Czech gov't policy is with respect to firearms to Zim. You should ask your airline.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,thank you very much.
Petr

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote