THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Tips for Booking an African Hunt - the Truth Laid Bare

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for Booking an African Hunt - the Truth Laid Bare
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted
So much has been written about Africa and hunting in Africa. Africa is the dark continent no longer, all its secrets have been revealed, all its valleys and plains laid bare. Its trophies adorn households in the US and the world over.

Yet Africa, smells different. The scent of it is like none other and can’t be reproduced. The hunter’s first sight of a kudu’s horns glinting in the last light of the Karoo, can’t be conveyed in another man’s words. It simply has to be experienced by you…you need to create your own African hunting story.

I’m Victor Watson, owner and professional hunter at Karoo Wild Safaris . In this article I’ll provide you with all the information you need to book an African hunt with confidence. I’ll give my unfiltered opinion based on my experience in the South African hunting and hospitality industry.

Read more here...

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 390 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good article.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor,
Very helpful, thanks, I also like to know if I will be the only hunting party in camp and if the hunting area is the same property as the lodge. Brian Gallup

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3348 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. Looked at your rates. Are baboons rare? $400 trophy fee seems excessive, it is $75 in Zim.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
Interesting article. Looked at your rates. Are baboons rare? $400 trophy fee seems excessive, it is $75 in Zim.

They’re not rare but it’s rare to shoot one here as easily as some other areas. They’re considered vermin by livestock farmers here and are skittish so we bait them and shoot the older ones that normally catch lambs and kids. The cost is in the effort of baiting them. If opportunistically hunted, they’re free.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

Posts: 390 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good article.

Your trophy fees are very reasonable.

After 3 trips to RSA I’ll likely never go again; I did enjoy the trips. I would never book a trip for less than ten days but that’s just me.

Looks like you have a great operation.

Posts: 2646 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My advice is don't book with a Nigerian PH who is selling a safari in the Congo with a Brazilian Operator residing in the Bahamas.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9898 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Good article.

Your trophy fees are very reasonable.

After 3 trips to RSA I’ll likely never go again; I did enjoy the trips. I would never book a trip for less than ten days but that’s just me.

Looks like you have a great operation.

Thank you - agree with you, 10 days is optimal.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
My advice is don't book with a Nigerian PH who is selling a safari in the Congo with a Brazilian Operator residing in the Bahamas.

Smiler agreed

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
In this weeks article I'll discuss (and demonstrate in video) three important aspects of a preparing for your African hunt: which rifle to take on your African hunt, how to to zero your rifle on the range and how to use shooting sticks.

Which Caliber to take on Your African Hunt

Which caliber to select for your African hunting trip is quite possibly the most debated topic on hunting forums. Everyone loves and swears by their favorite caliber. My advice, and this is subject to certain restrictions...take the rifle you're most familiar and comfortable shooting with at home. A rifle firing 130 -140 grain, premium soft point or monolithic bullets is quite capable of putting down any African plains game antelope, besides eland. An eland is the largest antelope in the world and I'd recommend using at least a rifle shooting 160 grain bullets at reasonable velocity. Reasonable velocity is 2600 - 3000 feet per second. Don't get caught up in the "bigger is always better" argument. Recoil negatively effects accuracy, rather hunt with that 308 Winchester you' shoot accurately than feel you have to experiment with a bigger, heavier recoiling caliber. A larger caliber won't compensate for a poorly placed shot.

Dangerous game hunting is another matter. The 375 is the minimum legal caliber for elephant, lion, leopard, rhino, crocodile, hippo and buffalo hunting. Follow the advice of the PH you're hunting with, he may ask you to bring only soft points or a combination of soft points and solids. A 375 capable of putting down all dangerous game, the caliber scopes well, shoots relatively flat and ammo is readily available. On dangerous game hunts, you'll most likely have a PH backing you up with a larger "stopping" caliber in the event of a life-threatening, charge situation. I specifically say "life threatening", because that's the only situation where a PH should be shooting at your animal.

How to Zero Your Rifle for an African Hunt

In this video, I demonstrate how I like to zero my 7x64 Brenneke rifle for South African hunting conditions. There may be unique hunting situations where a different zero point is preferable. Given that your rifle is set in to be zero (ie the sight line meets the path of the bullet) at 200 yards, the following will be true for most medium caliber rifles (243 Winchester to 375 H&H caliber)

Read and Watch More

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris