New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell Phones in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all. I hope someone can answer this question. When I went to So Africa last year I took my cell phone (pre-arranged to be able to call home during that time period). No problems with that BUT... calling within So Africa was something I could never figure out how to do! The problem surfaced when I tried to call my PH from JNB.
What PREFIX does one use in Africa? His number is +258 821 866 491
When I tap this out on my cell phone, it doesn't work. I tried putting a 1 in front of everything but that doesn't work. I tried leaving the + sign out with and without the 1, but nothing worked.
How the &#*@ does one make a call within Africa on a USA cell phone???
I'm leaving in a little over a week to So Africa and Mozambique so I need to know.
Many thanks in advance!
Mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
That's the correct country code for Mozambique, so the +258 821 866 491 should work. Is your phone set up with your carrier for international calling? Who is your carrier?

You might also try 00 instead of the +.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It depends on the carrier, in some countries I have to dial it like I'm in the US calling out.

011 - then the country code and the number.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really does depend on your carrier and your plan. Some US carriers block foreign roaming calls to another country so best to contact your carrier and find out.

The other option is to grab a SIM card as you leave the International arrivals terminal at JNB. If you hang a right as you enter the main terminal you will find the MTN Cell counter. You can prepay for a SIM card which is a bunch cheaper than international roaming with your domestic carrier.

And of course the other other alternative is to find a WiFi hot spot and make your calls on WhatsApp for free. Everyone with a cell phone in Africa uses WhatsApp. And on WhatsApp you dial the + and the country code and then the number.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..if you're at camp with Wifi and have an iPhone you can use FaceTime or FaceTime audio as well.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another perspective - Due to cost, not a lot of folks are running around with IPhones on the Dark Continent... Android rules. So if you want to FaceTime, it will most likely be with someone back in the States.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I shoiuld have mentioned I have an Android with Verizon. Seems like last time we got it to work by prefixing with some number (such as the 011 suggested). Not sure what a country code is... would that be tyhe 258 in the aforementioned number (+258 821 866 491)?
I wouldn't know what a sim card is let alone how to use one. The What's App sounds like it might work but don't you need internet capability to use that? I'll have to find out if the camp has that capability.
Thanks again for all your help, but I still don't know how to call within Africa.
m

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verizon Customer Service Number - +1.800.922.0204

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohonkie:
Thanks for all the responses. I shoiuld have mentioned I have an Android with Verizon. Seems like last time we got it to work by prefixing with some number (such as the 011 suggested). Not sure what a country code is... would that be tyhe 258 in the aforementioned number (+258 821 866 491)?
I wouldn't know what a sim card is let alone how to use one. The What's App sounds like it might work but don't you need internet capability to use that? I'll have to find out if the camp has that capability.
Thanks again for all your help, but I still don't know how to call within Africa.
m

Here's a list of all the country calling codes: https://countrycode.org/

I have Verizon but I didn't try to call any numbers in South Africa while I was there the last couple of times. If I was going to try, I would dial:

011 27 (Country code for South Africa) then the 10 digit number

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your camp has WIFI, use WhatsApp. It is hugely popular everywhere outside of the USA. I once made a WhatsApp call to my wife from JNB while seated on a plane waiting to take off and using just the free airport WIFI and it was like she was sitting right next to me. Amazingly clear and you can use any WIFI from anywhere.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have Verison and had a hard time calling in S.A. and Zim and had to call Customer Server numerous times. I would purchase a throw away phone there.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulldog05
posted Hide Post
Those that have Verizon and iPhones, any plan recommendtions for calls back to the states from SA? Going on our honeymoon and would like to check back on work and my parents. Also how is service in the limpopo?

Thanks for any help

Rick

Posts: 36 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog05:
Those that have Verizon and iPhones, any plan recommendtions for calls back to the states from SA? Going on our honeymoon and would like to check back on work and my parents. Also how is service in the limpopo?

Thanks for any help

I have an iPhone through Verizon and the only thing I did was upgrade to an international plan which is about $25 extra per month...it's been awhile since I was in the Limpopo, but I'm pretty sure cell reception was good.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog05:

Thanks for any help

Call your provider and get international and you will pick up MTN SA or Vodocom almost everywhere there. The IPhone will automatically switch to the best reception.

Just like Heym said.

Turn off Cellular Data though before you get Joberg.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
You have a couple of choices.
(1) international calling with your carrier
(2) use a RSA Sim Card
(3) WiFi
(4) change carriers to T-mobile or AT&T.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Hmph. Learn something every day.
I'm currently in South Africa and had no idea I could make calls until AT&T was mentioned. Expensive, but in an emergency I doubt that would be an issue.
I've just been messaging via FB messenger and Whatsapp. I meant to buy a SIM card at JNB but was so eager to get out of there for the 2nd time in a week that I didn't stop at the kiosk.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
AT&T roaming not cheap, Starts at $40 for 30 days plus $1 per minute.

T-Mobile is .20 per minute, free texts free WiFi calling back to the USA and unlimited data at 2G speed, just fast enough to check your e-mail. Plus no 30 day charge. Good in 140+ countries. Including RSA & Zambia, other countries higher rates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all. Sorry for not getting back sooner. Had to put a dog down, cancer. Busy getting ready for the trip, and now this...
As many have said, best advice is to go to Verizon for calling info. Had to do that anyway to buy the international minutes for South Africa and for Mozambique. Bottom line is:
Mozambique country code is 258. To call to USA from there dial + then 1 the 10 digit number. To call local dial + then country code (258) the local number (with area code, if applicable).
South Africa country code is 27. To call USA dial + then 10 digit US number. For local dial + then country code then local number (with area code if applicable).
Verizon Cust serv,Mozambique is: +1 908-559-4899
Customer serv for South Africa: 09 800-50050099
Verizon very curteously e-mailed all this information to me (as well as info for calling other countries).
Thanks again to everyone! Fired my two fouling shots for my .458 Lott yesterday and am now ready. Man, I've learned a lot about the Lott this past year (fired over 1,000 rounds).
m

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to make a call from Zim to work which required hitting prompts. Took advantage of Apples Wi-Fi calling where you are making a phone call thru the internet.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote