THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travel to S Africa with kids

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to S Africa with kids
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All, Hoping for some info on travelling through Jo'burg with my two boys. This link really concerns me: http://www.southafrica.info/tr...VhHw%23ixzz3eU3FjFPM

Here are a few key points:
""If children are travelling with only one parent, they must produce an unabridged birth certificate as well as:
a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child;
an affidavit from the other parent granting permission for the child to leave the country;
a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child;"
Leaving Sunday you can see my concern with the affidavits. Unfortunately I am not using a travel agent. Anyone have any ideas or info on this?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If your children were born in the USA than you probably have the birth certificates and you wouldn't need to apply for an "unabridged" version. Go find a Notary Public and have notarized copies made. You have then fulfilled the obligation, as far as I can tell.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blixen,

I just got back from Botswana traveling with my 15 year old son with an overnight in Johannesburg and had no problems whatsoever although they certainly did check the forms. On my mobile right now but will send you a copy of everything I took if you want to PM your email address.

The requirement is really no issue at all.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The affidavit is just a letter from your wife with the trip details and advising her permission for this travel with you as the sole parent and responsible party. Go and have her sign in front of a Notary and have several copies notarized. Then take along the boys passports and birth certificate along with the other paperwork as required.

The airline can ask for it too although they may not do so regularly.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! AR comes through. Gonna drown them with paperwork.
Blixen

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What an utterly stupid law this is!

We have traveled all over the place, with only one parent accompanying the kids.

We have travelled with kids of friends who went on holiday with us and our kids, we never had anyone ask any questions.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The law is protecting children from abduktion by a parent who dont is the legal caretaker.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
The law is protecting children from abduktion by a parent who dont is the legal caretaker.

And to do that they have to brand all parents as criminals??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Human trafficking!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested here is a link to the RSA Department of Homeland Affairs suggested Parental Consent Affidavit.

RSA Parental Consent Affidavit

You could probably come up with your own statement or form which would work just as well but I figured I'd just use their form as they can hardly complain about anything.

Just filled it out and had it notarized on the second page in the place provided and provided the required documentation (Original birth certificate, notarized copies of both mother and father's passport information page).

At the end of the day travel with my son was no problem although the airline and RSA officials did look at the paperwork both coming and going.

Hope this helps someone.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote