THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Seeking post safari sightseeing ideas for Botswana and Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking post safari sightseeing ideas for Botswana and Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings AR Colleagues,

I have my first buffalo hunt planned for June of this year with Greg Butler Safaris in the Okavango and my PH is Andy Kockott. Doug Gray from Gracy booked our travel plans and did an excellent job considering I asked him to help using frequent flyer miles for parts of the trip. It was typical great Gracy service. We are traveling from PHL to Munich, layover with a day room at the airport then SAA (drat!) from Munich to JNB, overnighting at the Afton and next day flying to Maun for pick up. We (my wife is accompanying me) will hunt for 10 days from the Khwai camp in NG18 for buffalo, croc, impala, Tsessebe and Red Lechwe perhaps more depending on budget. After the hunt we depart by truck for a day, perhaps two, at Chobe for some game viewing and bird shooting. We then leave Chobe and drive to Victoria Falls where we will have approximately 5 days for sightseeing. We plan to stay at the Victoria Hotel at least a night or two to experience its culture and will of course do the touristy visit to the falls. We depart from Vic Falls on 12 July for the flight home.

I’m seeking suggestions from AR members for other sightseeing options either while in Zimbabwe or in Botswana. It doesn’t sound like we can spend the full five days in Vic Falls even including adventurous options like bungee jumping etc. What should we do/see to maximize our Botswana and Zimbabwe experiences? I have searched the Forums and have a few other thoughts. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Paul:

My wife and I spent five days in Victoria Falls after my Matetsi hunt in 2006. We took an evening river tour (with cocktails, etc.), a 4 hour canoe trip down the river, the helicopter ride over the Falls, the hike at the Falls, and a visit to the Victoria Falls Hotel. I can highly recommend the hike, the helicopter ride, the canoe trip and the Hotel. We did not do the white water rafting which I regret.

Whatever you do though, do not book any activities with a company called The Zambezi Travel & Safari Company. They will take your money and leave you stranded in Africa on your own. They left my wife and I stranded at the Botswana border post (on the way to Chobe National Park) and stole $1,350 from me.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when in vic falls there is the market place, drinks in the evening at the safari lodge. the falls themselves (make sure your camera is in a plastic bag to protect it from the mist) river tours, etc. i haven't been in the falls for a few year, but there are a ton of things there. watch out for muggings and money changers. then hwange park is something to been seen. elephants galore. many lodges etc in the park and there are people to give you tours. Lake kariba cruises are fun. canoe trips down the zambezi I believe are no more because of the hippos. (we took a 3 day one once) I'm not sure if the vic falls hotel still requires dress for evening meal or not. used to anyway. be sure your flights out of the area are on SA not air zim. also to see the falls you will need $10 U.S. per person (they will have no change but will gladly accept more)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I did not have much time for sightseeing during my stay in Victoria Falls last October, I can recommend both the Ultimate Guest Lodge there and its' operator, Russell Caldecott [email ultimate@africaonline.co.zw]. It is not the tradition steeped Victoria Falls Hotel, but it is a very comfortable, and much more reasonable place to stay. Russell limits his clientel to hunting and fishing clients of his own fishing charters and the many outfitters and PH's that frequent Vic Falls. He is a super guy and can organize almost any touring options you wish, It will be worth contacting him for his ideas too!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ultimate Guest Lodge

LHowell,

Is this the place you stayed? I've been trying to find this place online and wasn't sure if this is the one that people have recommended.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za/saf_zim01.php

http://www.ultimatelodge.com/

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DC,

Yes that's the place!

The tgsafari.co.za description is a little dated but the photos are right! I think rooms have been added since the tgsafari article.

email and telephone are the best ways to contact them. They have been closed since the holidays but should be due to reopen at the first of March I believe!

Many here have stayed there when in Vic Falls.

It is a unique little place, I look forward to returning one day!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul;
I second what LHowell says in regards to the Ultimate Lodge. I have stayed with Russell over ten different times while hunting Zim. He is a first class guy!!! The day trip to Chobe is great. Half the day on the Zambezi, the next half touring Chobe park. He has remodled his lodge. The rooms were very nice before and now rival the best. He sends his guys with you if you want to go shopping, or any other place you go so you will not get ripped of. He gets his supplies from Bots so his lodge is always well stocked. I think anyone who has stayed with Russ will give you the same opinion. Russ at one time was a PH. A hunting accident has left him in a chair. He is going to SA for an operation so you may want to contact him for further information in regards to the dates. Russ also runs fishing trips on the Zambezi as well which you may want to look into.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ahold of the cansaf team beth or Kylie and ask them about all whats available in the falls when you will be there. Some activities are seasonal - like right now the white water rafting is closed. Also if you are there the two nights before or over the full moon itself the Lunar rainbow is well worth seeing!!!

beth@cansaf.com or andrew@cansaf.com

I have often sent clients Beths way when a hunt finishes early. Never a hitch. Often the helicopter rides on the zim side are fully booked weeks in advance- no problem- she aranges for you to go to zambia (without having to pay for a visa) and take the ride there etc.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner to all of your suggestions. Thank you to all for the great ideas and activities. I still have a bit of time to finishing organizing that part of the trip and will consider all of the suggestions. We have most recently decided that we will probably not stay at the Victoria simply due to cost. I would rather put the money into trophies or other activities. While a grand hotel I’m sure it is a bit pricey. It looks like we can easily fill up a number of days with these activities.

Thanks again to all of your input. I will reply to the PM regarding Greg Butler Safaris.

Paul Reed

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Russell and his staff at the Ultimate Guest Lodge will happily shuttle you to and from the Vic Falls Hotel for a meal or a sundowner on the terrace or in the bar [after5PM I think]. It should be seen, but it is ridiculously expensive to stay there.

You really should have a Pimms No.1 Cup there!

Oh, there is a great view as well!

Les

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I got ahold of Rus by e-mail and have made reservations.

Ganyana,

My wife really wants to do the helicopter ride and I will send an e-mail to Beth.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Africa Wild Media
posted Hide Post
In Response to PSmiths comments on The Zambezi Travel & Safari Company: I contacted the company above, being concerned that I or my friends would not want to be left stranded anywhere or have our money stolen: Below is the responce from The Zambezi Travel & Safari Company:

Dear Sean,

Thank-you for pointing out this comment. You are most welcome to post my
response on the forum and to pass it on to the moderator.

I have copied correspondence we had with Barclaycard Merchant Services in
respect to this client after this client attempted to stop payment to us for
multiple activities he booked through our company on his credit card, (I
have not attached his credit card details for reasons of security).

The client did have a problem with one activity he booked through us for
which we apologized and refunded him in full. The rest of his holiday was
completed as booked and Barclaycard enforced payment to our company from the
client as a result. The client was not left stranded and no money was
"stolen" from him.

Unfortunately Mr Smith has not been able to take an accurate and reasonable
view of events and vowed to seize opportunities to "blacken" our reputation
as a result.

20 November 2006

FAO: A Smith
Barclaycard Merchant Services
Dept. M.C.U
Fax 01604-253-195

Dear A. Smith.

Re: Case ID: 3756-09NOV06/SYSTEM
Our Booking Reference: GHF19 Smith x2

Regarding the above case ID I can supply the following documentation and
explanation in favour of the cancellation of the refund mentioned.

1) The card holders booked a variety of activities at Victoria Falls
through our company commencing travel on 01 October 2006. The full payment
of US$ 1,034.80 (the transaction in question) was taken on 26/07/2006 to
confirm the booking. The completed and signed credit card authorisation form
is attached (a).

2) One of the activities booked by the client was not supplied by our
ground handlers at Victoria Falls on 04 October due to a communication
error. The activity was a Full Day trip into Chobe National Park, Botswana.

3) Our client contacted us on their return and we have since contacted
our suppliers in Victoria Falls for an explanation.

4) We agreed to refund the client in full for the activities not
supplied. The total paid by the client for the Chobe Day Trip was US$ 300.00
(US$ 150.00 per person).

5) The refund transaction took place on 17 November 2006. Total
credited to clients Visa card ending XXXX XXXX XXXX 1538 was US$ 300.00. The
refund receipt which was mailed to the client is attached (b).

To conclude, the client has travelled with us and incurred problems during
their trip as one activity which they had purchased from our company was not
successfully supplied. We have since refunded the client the full amount for
these unsupplied goods and therefore ask that you validate the initial
transaction of US$ 1,034.80.

I would be grateful if you could let me know as soon as possible that the
above case is resolved.

Kind regards,

Jools Simpson
Julian Simpson
Accounts & Products Supervisor
The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co. Ltd
UK Head Office

Africa Wild Media
"Hunting Video Productions"

Posts: 13 | Location: South Africa - Cape Town | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My response to the above information from Jools Simpson:

Point #1: I did not attempt to "stop payment" on a credit card. In the first place, that is an impossibility since payment was made in July 2006. One can stop payment on a check, not a credit card. What I did was file a dispute with the credit card company due to the breach of contract.

Point #2 With respect to this statement: "The client did have a problem with one activity he booked through us for
which we apologized and refunded him in full. The rest of his holiday was
completed as booked and Barclaycard enforced payment to our company from the
client as a result."

What Simpson states is logically inconsistent. When an American travels all the way to Africa to see Victoria Falls and Chobe National Park and the booking agent breaches the contract to deliver the paid-for services, simply saying "sorry" and refunding the one activity does not make the client or prevent the breach of the contract which was for all activities to be delivered. How would you feel if you went to Africa from the USA for two activities and due to incompetence and breach of contract by the booking agent the single most important activity did not occur? Does a refund make you whole? It does not. That is why courts in the USA award punitive damages.

Point #3: With respect to this statement: "The card holders booked a variety of activities at Victoria Falls
through our company commencing travel on 01 October 2006. The full payment
of US$ 1,034.80 (the transaction in question) was taken on 26/07/2006 to
confirm the booking".

What Simpson fails to state is that with one exception (the helicopter ride over Vic Falls), I was forced to pay cash in US dollars for every other activity that I had already paid for 90 days priopr to traveling to Africa.

Every single car/bus ride was paid for in cash which was demanded of me by the drivers; transportation was to have been included and not one of the drivers accepted the company's vouchers without additional cash. Every tour, e.g., Vic Falls Park, Croc Farm, river boat tour, was paid for in cash.

Point #4: With respect to this statement: "Our client contacted us on their return and we have since contacted
our suppliers in Victoria Falls for an explanation". Here Simpson is attempting to justify the six-week delay in refunding the $300 for the Chobe trip. I notified the company the day we were to travel to Chobe at 12:00 noon (after calling for 5 hours) when the compnay's representative finally answered the phone.

Simpson also fails to consider the contingent costs incurred which totaled hundreds of dollars for additional food and lodging.

Bottom line the company breached the contract. A breach of any single term or agreed upon condition of a contract breaches the contract in its entirety; i.e. there is no such thing as a partial breach of contract.

I stand by everything stated previously except for the typographic error whereby I should have written $1,035 instead of $1,350.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote