New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAX or SFO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I assume they are both bad, but is either Los Angeles OR San Francisco less hassle when claiming guns and rechecking with a 3-3.5 hour layover? Is that enough time?

Posts: 735 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I almost always come back at SFO. My experience has been that it’s quick and easy. I’ve flown back from Africa in 2018, 2019 & 2021 most recently with no hassles whatsoever through SFO.

Your gun case, and likely duffle bag too, will come off on a separate belt for oversized baggage. It’s near to the baggage carousels. If you’re flying back on Qatar Airways, a representative of the airline will meet you to verify they’re your bags. Nice touch, IMO.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DLS. Actually going to Mongolia and trying to decide between Turkish or Korean Airlines. Turkish out of SFO or Korean out of LAX.

Posts: 735 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Thanks, DLS. Actually going to Mongolia and trying to decide between Turkish or Korean Airlines. Turkish out of SFO or Korean out of LAX.

Turkish is gun friendly, not sure about Korean.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Hands down Turkish !

Flew them to Asia two years ago - great all round, guns, transit in Istanbul, service etc

Korean - flown them too but not with guns. Good but not great.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2285 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My experience with both airports is that LAX is quicker and easier to check guns in at.

The wait for TSA to check rifles at SFO was ridiculous even after United's desk took 3 hours to check the rifles in at the counter, calling both London and Jo'Berg trying to prove that we couldn't transit through London or arrive in SA without a gun permit in hand.

LAX never took more than half an hour for everything.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Turkish out of SFO for a hunt in Kyrgyzstan: Turkish staff took a long time to get me checked in, TSA was "normal" speed.

I've flown into and out of LAX more often, but used SFO several times, never had a big issue with TSA at either (knock on wood).

FYI: I'm always landing & leaving the airport, not transiting through.

Posts: 437 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
My experience with both airports is that LAX is quicker and easier to check guns in at.

The wait for TSA to check rifles at SFO was ridiculous even after United's desk took 3 hours to check the rifles in at the counter, calling both London and Jo'Berg trying to prove that we couldn't transit through London or arrive in SA without a gun permit in hand.

Frank, I’ve never flown United out of SFO, but have flown Emirates and Qatar out of SFO. In each case it was a very short walk, less than 40 yards, from the ticket counter to TSA checkpoint for the guns. In 3 trips over the last 4 years, it never took more than 5-10 minutes to get TSA clearance and have my guns headed down to baggage handling. My experience has been that SFO is very easy, both departing and returning (yes, I have global entry). I doubt it took 3 minutes to clear customs last November when I returned from Tanzania. I walked directly to. Global Entry terminal, entered my info, got my slip and walked out. I was at baggage claim well before bags arrived. The international terminal at SFO is also more compact, so easy to navigate through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I will be flying out of SFO on Turkish to Istanbul and on to Ulan Bator. Fingers crossed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS, sent you a PM.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've done both. LAX lost me gun case but ti arrived home in Alaska the next day. I prefer SF as it's smaller and easier to navigate. That said, no place in commie California will be gun friendly.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I will be flying out of SFO on Turkish to Istanbul and on to Ulan Bator. Fingers crossed.

I was there several decades ago. It's a magical place to me. We hunted sheep, ibex, stag and gazelle with wonderful results.

What are you chasing sir?

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mid-Altai Argali.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

Frank, I’ve never flown United out of SFO, but have flown Emirates and Qatar out of SFO. In each case it was a very short walk, less than 40 yards, from the ticket counter to TSA checkpoint for the guns. In 3 trips over the last 4 years, it never took more than 5-10 minutes to get TSA clearance and have my guns headed down to baggage handling. My experience has been that SFO is very easy, both departing and returning (yes, I have global entry). I doubt it took 3 minutes to clear customs last November when I returned from Tanzania. I walked directly to. Global Entry terminal, entered my info, got my slip and walked out. I was at baggage claim well before bags arrived. The international terminal at SFO is also more compact, so easy to navigate through.

My experience with SFO was in 2016 and it took them over 40 minutes to find a "Qualified" TSA agent that could handle the firearms inspection.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote