THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Insurance for Double Guns While Traveing

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance for Double Guns While Traveing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
Any recommendations on companies that you use.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.siai.net/

Worldwide coverage, very affordable. I'd suggest staying away from adding floaters to your homeowners policy, personally.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
http://www.corevensguninsuranc.../shooting-sportsman/

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
http://www.siai.net/

Worldwide coverage, very affordable. I'd suggest staying away from adding floaters to your homeowners policy, personally.

This is what I've used for years. I haven't made any claim but it is recommended by SCI.
Sportsmans Insurance Agency and they also go my trophy room on a separate policy.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to insure my wife's Brno 7x57 sporter and my Cogswell & Harrison 577 BPE double for our trip last year through a specialty insurance company that someone recommended. When they asked if I had any insurance claims in the past several years I said yes we had just had a fire in my shop. They immediately refused coverage. I went to my regular insurance company, Farmers, and they said sure just get us a professional appraisal. I did and they covered them for one year for less than the specialty company wanted.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk hunter:
I tried to insure my wife's Brno 7x57 sporter and my Cogswell & Harrison 577 BPE double for our trip last year through a specialty insurance company that someone recommended. When they asked if I had any insurance claims in the past several years I said yes we had just had a fire in my shop. They immediately refused coverage. I went to my regular insurance company, Farmers, and they said sure just get us a professional appraisal. I did and they covered them for one year for less than the specialty company wanted.

What happens when you take them out of State, or out of the country? Are they covered?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CORVENS. I've used others but these folks are incredibly easy to work with and have a stellar reputation. I just renewed my annual gun policy with them.

Over the years I've used other providers, including SIAI, but find these folks to be the best. Special additions for DSC members at no additional cost.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John W. Richardson
Vice President, Eastern Insurance Group LLC
The Historic Firearms and Collectibles Insurance Program
933 Webster Street, Marshfield MA, 02050
Toll Free - 800.545.9326 X59398
P- 800.545.9326 M-781.974.3737 l F- 508.647.3266

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the information.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Also, Core-vens coverage starts at $350 per year for 100K of coverage.

Core-ens is full replacement coverage.
So, you are out of luck on the AR15 you bought at the height of the panic after Sandy Hook for $2500 because the same gun is now only $800. Frowner But your Ruger RSM in 458 Lott that you snagged for $800 will get you a check for the $1600 replacement off of gunbroker. dancing

If you need much less coverage, there are likely cheaper options, but when you get a collection valued close to six figures, Core-vens is likely the least expensive option.

I have been happy with them, but have had no claims either.

The only personal knowledge I have of a claim on 'gun insurance' is that of a close friend who had his truck broken into and a few guns stolen. He was covered by the NRA insurance and had purchased extra coverage. They insisted on very concrete proof of ownership such as photos, bill of sales and/or receipts for everything. He was not made whole.

YMMV.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Core-vens looks interesting, and they obviously have been around a while. One thing I noticed though is the $1000 minimum deductible. If a guy is toting a $2500 rifle/scope combo to Namibia and something happens, you only get $1500 for the claim, right? Did I interpret that correctly?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've used SIAI for years, but will have to look at some of the other options. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Core-vens looks interesting, and they obviously have been around a while. One thing I noticed though is the $1000 minimum deductible. If a guy is toting a $2500 rifle/scope combo to Namibia and something happens, you only get $1500 for the claim, right? Did I interpret that correctly?

Correct

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the Core-vens, NRA extra coverage and SIAI insurance programs comparing them to my current insurance carrier, USAA.

All are much cheaper but have more exclusions then my Floater policy. The NRA policy, just had too many exclusions for me.

The Core-vens is great if you have a lot of guns, all with high values and can afford the $1000 deductible, if your gun is $2500, you get $1500. Have 10k stolen, you get 9k. The carrier that underwrites the policy I have no concerns about.

The SIAI policy has a reasonable rate, but more exclusions then my current policy. Another down side is you have to be a member of one of the groups that endorses the policy, No longer a member and your policy non-renews. The carrier that underwrites that policy I never heard of.

So I still don't know what I am going to do, stay with my current carrier or change to SIAI.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by elk hunter:

What happens when you take them out of State, or out of the country? Are they covered

According to my agent, whom I trust, yes they would be covered.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote