THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Ammo coming back from RSA, anyone else have any problems?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo coming back from RSA, anyone else have any problems?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We recently came back from RSA (Oct.2) and ran into problems with the SAPS at ELS airport. When we went down my ammo was in a locked box inside a seperate piece of baggage. When we got to J'burg on the way in my bag did not come out of the carrosel, but my rifle case was there. We stayed overnight in J'burg and then on to ELS the next morning. My bag was delivered to the Safari Lodge later that night (about an hour and a half drive from ELS), it had not been tamperd with and everything was fine. We proceeded with out hunt and had a great time (see my post under hunting reports). When we checked in at ELS on our way back, I told them that I had ammo inside my luggage (probably should have kept my mouth shut) seperate from the rifle case. The "individual" behind the desk said that I had to remove the ammo and put it inside the rifle case. My PH was there and he said that this was new to him and the person behind the desk said that's the rule. Ammo has to be in the case with the rifle. I explained to them that I couldn't do that, as US Homeland Security / TSA requires it to be seperate from the gun case. They were not budging in their decision, so I finally took the ammo out and gave all of it to my PH and told him to give it to other hunters if someone needed it (I only fired 9 rounds out of 4 boxes!)I could just see what would happen in Atlanta if I opened the rifle case and Homeland Security saw the ammo in there, I probably would be sending this from prision if I had tried that!
So, long story short...RSA seems to be changing their rules daily and really wants to make it too hard to bring your own weapons in to RSA. If I go back again I will rent a rifle and avoid the hassles.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tracker,

I think you just ran into an uninformed or misinformed person which unfortunately is all too normal. Giving the ammo to your PH actually could have been a real problem if he did not have a rifle in the same caliber or if giving him the ammo exceeded the ammo limits an individual can have in RSA. No reason you'd know that.

We can't expect anything while traveling except the the unexpected. I always do everything to the extreme to avoid any problems but Air Botswana got me on this last flight causing me problems through the rest of my flight home.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I believe that TSA allows ammo packed in the rifle case. Some airlines do not allow it but the TSA rules say it's OK.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TSA allows ammo in the same case as do most US airlines.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly SAA does not allow ammo to be kept in the rifle case. [Usually at these outlying airports they make you check the hard ammo case through separately]

You are better off that you declared the ammo, they would have found it on the x-ray and likely held the bag, and/or broken it open to remove the ammo.

I always try to shoot up all my ammo before I leave. Oddly enough my PH's almost always shoot the same calibers I do.

From SAA's FAQ:

Can my firearm travel with me?

1. SAA CARRIAGE OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

Domestic (within and from the Republic of South Africa)

Departure (Inclusive of International departures)
Firearms may NOT be packed inside checked luggage and must therefore be packed in an appropriate lockable firearm container or case, separate from checked luggage.

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and may be packed within checked luggage, but must be properly secured in an ammunition case or solid box. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases, which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on AR, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.

clap Big Grin thumb

Anyway this is what I have figured since I take most of our clients back and help with the check in. Every airline seems to have their own rules. SAA wants you to fly ammo seperate to Africa but when flying back they say that you should put it in your rifle case Confused Confused

BA wants ammo and rilfe seperate and if your ammo is in your main luggage it will be sent trough with the rifles which is sort of a bonus as they will take extra care of your luggage then. But then paying 25 pounds both ways for the service seems a bit rough. BTW if you are flying BA back please pay for your rfile handling first at the BA ticket counter otherwise you will be checkin in and as soon as you thuink it's finished they will chase you back to pay for it. Leaving your luggage unattended Confused Confused

For the Life of me I cannot remember what Delta wanted or how they wanted the ammo packed but when checking in make yourself visible especially your guncase as you get put into the Business class line much faster. Big Grin

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
I believe if you ask the following question:

"Has anyone ever had trouble at the Jo'Burg airport with _____________ (fill in the blank with whatever)?"

Someone, more likely many someones, will acknowledge that they did.

It seems that there's always some grief and drama to be had at OR Tambo no matter how perfect your execution of documentation and policy compliance is.

That's ORT. We do the best we can and sit back and marvel at the idiocy that the airport workers demonstrate. If you do everything right and manage to slip through unscathed, consider yourself lucky.

just my opinion

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA has been taken over by idiots. You can expect absolutley anything, but you are primarlly dealing with an ignorant, uneducated clown who got the job for one reason only.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I read the other day from my travel agent. In the papers I was sent ,it said that flying from the US into Johanasburg you can put the Ammo in a seprate suit case , but if you have another conecting fligh it must be put into a seprate locked Box.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
My many experiences in Jo'burg have convinced me that the only thing consistent about ammunition packing rules there is that, no matter how you pack it, they'll make you change it at check in.

This used to drive me to distraction, but I've matured over time and have just come to expect and accept it. Smile, do whatever they say, and go find a place to have a cold beer when they're done jerking me around.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For awhile, South African Airways REQUIRED ammo to be packed with the gun. Then it was required that the ammo be packed in the luggage. I guess they don't really know what they want to require.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
On one return trip I arrived at the airport with the left over ammo in my checked bag. The lady at the ticket counter told me I had to put it into the gun case. As I was making the switch she told me she also wanted to weigh it. No problem. I put it into my Tuff Pak (which took a little work since it was full with rifles) and checked my bag. When I took the gun case into the SAPS behind the ticket counter I was asked where my ammo was. I told them it was in the gun case. They then proceeded to inform me that this was not allowed and that I had to place it in my checked luggage. I waited while they retrieved my checked bag and made the transfer as they required.

This is all part of the African experience. You simply have to go with the flow and expect to make adjustments.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Wow!--- and I just skated through there with my arrows in the same case as my bow! archer dancing dancing

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Should have left your ammo with your PH.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Should have left your ammo with your PH.

Mike

Amen, leave it there.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned but was flying Delta. My ammo was in my checked bag and I told them where and how it was packed. No problems at all.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did leave the ammo with my PH to avoid problems along the way (also gives me an excuse to go back and burn some of it up!, maybe it was an omen for me to return). He didn't have any guns in my caliber at that time (7mm & 300 win. mag), so if anyone needs any, start yelling for Murray!

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've brought ammo back from RSA through ORT twice in the last 2 years. Maybe just lucky but no problems at all.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do I stick my ammo? (Please do not jump on the cheap joke there...)

TSA says: It CAN be in the case with the gun.

WHERE DO THEY SAY THAT?
Right here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm
Must be packed properly, but it's OK in the same case as the gun.
DELTA SAYS: Only 11 pounds but does not address while you can stick it...

Happy Trails, or is that Trials?

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I recently spoke with a TSA agent and he says as far as they are concerned ammo can be in either the gun case or checked baggage, they did not care. However, best to find out where the country of your destination wants the ammo packed. If RSA they want it in checked baggage.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
Steve,

I recently spoke with a TSA agent and he says as far as they are concerned ammo can be in either the gun case or checked baggage, they did not care. However, best to find out where the country of your destination wants the ammo packed. If RSA they want it in checked baggage.

Correct, the TSA may not care however the Airline may mandate the Ammo placed in the Gun Case or in the Checked bag. This is exactly where the confusion comes in simply because different airlines have different rules. I have always placed ammo in the Checked bag because in my experience the US based carriers require this. The problem come is when returning home because the international carrier may require it in the gun case which will require you to switch it over once you arrive in the US. It really sounds like more of a PIA than it is….just keep it in a easily accessed place in your luggage or case and do what they tell you.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote