THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Getting to Zimbabwe on United Frequent Flyer miles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting to Zimbabwe on United Frequent Flyer miles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm looking into hunting Buff in Zim next year and was wondering how to get there. I want to get a Business class ticket using my Frequent Flyer miles and according to the United Airlines Destination guide on their website I can do that to get me to:

Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Reunion Island, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe

But every time I enter an airport other than Johannesburg it tells me that neither United nor any of it's partners serves any airports in the other southern African countries.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you go on their websight, you will find a contact phone number. Call it and go through the prompts till you get fed up and then say agent, and you will be able to talk to someone. I did it two weeks ago, and booked business class tickets to Zimbabwe with almost complete satisfaction. Incidentally, you have to do this by phone, it cannot be done totally on the net I was told more than once.

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch. I'll get on the phone tomorrow.

Now I just have to find an outfitter that wants some money this year for a hunt in 2011.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I've found that it is well worth it to let Gracy handle my mileage travel. There is a nominal fee but they will handle everything and get you lined out on SAPS, meet/greet etc. They can make your whole trip sealess.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
United breaks guitars.

Who knows what they do to rifles!

Eeker

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I used United miles a couple years ago to fly to Windhoek I paid Gracy to do the booking. It cost about $600. It is truly well worth it. You will find that only one or two seats will have been set aside for flyers redeeming miles, none outside coach (unless things have changed favorably!). As such, you want to book the flight as early as you can (I believe 330 dys out is the earliest it can be done). Gracy will keep calling the airline for you to do that. They will also update you on itinerary, new regs, etc.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before United teamed with South African Airlines, we flew to Frankfurt on United and then to Harare on Lufthansa,which partnered with UA.(all on miles) I dont think Lufthansa even goes there anymore. I would say your best bet would be South African using united miles.
I always just my local travel agent to book it for me as they have to be on the ball at the right times to get the tickets with miles. I think I would use Kathi here on A.R. in the future as she was a big help in helping me get a Visa I needed QUICK, especially if you are taking a gun.

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I've used Gracy before with great results and Kathi has been helpful with a lot of good advice, I'll look into it.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
When I used United miles a couple years ago to fly to Windhoek I paid Gracy to do the booking. It cost about $600. I

I am 99% sure Kathi is much less than $600 to book your ticket with FF miles.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
When I used United miles a couple years ago to fly to Windhoek I paid Gracy to do the booking. It cost about $600. I

I am 99% sure Kathi is much less than $600 to book your ticket with FF miles.

I know she is but Gracy probably included the meet and greet/customs expediting services and some other services.

Frank