THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    carrying ammo thru Jo'berg to Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

carrying ammo thru Jo'berg to Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hunting the Save Conservancy in 7/09. For a number of reasons I'll use my PH's .375 and .300 H&H's. He'd like me to bring ammo. Can I openly transport ammo into SA for an overnight and then into Zim without rifles to match? The South Africa Police page isn't clear and seems daunting. Want to avoid a smuggling charge. Thanks

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
If you're overnighting in RSA and "entering" the country, you must declare ammo and it must match the guns you declare in caliber.

So, I'd say no.

If you don't overnight, you CAN check your bags thru to Zim.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Maybe worthwhile to drop a line to Ann at Air 2000 and ask her the question, air2000@global.co.za

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'd also say that LRH270 is correct. I don't think that you can take ammo into South Africa or Zimbabwe without bringing along the correct caliber(s)of firearms to use it for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I know for a fact that one time 425WR ammo was taken to Zim without an attendant rifle with no question or problem

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky, very lucky!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Well, I know for a fact that one time 425WR ammo was taken to Zim without an attendant rifle with no question or problem

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think that the ph was consulted as there is no way I will disregard laws, on purpose, of a foreign country, or for that matter, ours.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Louis at Afton House talked with a bunch of us hunters about this very issue on one of my trips in 2007, and he emphatically stated that it is illegal to bring ammo into South Africa without having a rifle that matches it. He also stated that PHs will often ask a hunter to do it and will tell them that it's legal when it's not. He told the hunter that had brought it up, in no uncertain terms, not to do it. I'll go with Louis' advice.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What about the often recommended "couple boxes of Bird shot for a days wing shooting"?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I did this several years ago -- had the PH send me a "Rifle Rental Ageement" which stated that I had to supply the ammo ----------worked great!
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I like the "rifle rental agreement" idea. That sounds like a plan. Did you put the serial no. of the rifle on it or just basic info?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote