THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    SAA CHARGING FOR GUNS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA CHARGING FOR GUNS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While flying Emirates may have some great benefits, they are a real PIA when it comes to meds. I am flying them the first time in a few weeks enroute to Lusaka. I have a script for testosterone and dilaudid, for kidney stones, what a bunch of hoops to jump through. The list of meds prohibited is several pages long. Including extra strength Tylenol, excedrin migraine........ I have applied for a permit with Dubai ministry of health and am waiting to see if i can fly with meds or not. This application requires letters from my doctors and copy of prescriptions. Pretty darned backwards if you ask me. So I am not sure I will go down the road flying with them or not in the future.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also experienced the decline in SAA service and switched to Emirates DFW/JNB the last few trips. Emirates business class service was excellent in all ways except for a refusal last year to check my rifle through to Tete from DFW even though they had said they would when I purchased the tickets. Made me go through SAPS on a 4 hour layover at JNB. That was no problem as I was able to get Henry to meet me at JNB.

However, on the Emirates flight I listened to an interview with the Emirates President where he declared sport hunting was barbaric, etc and Emirates would no longer ship trophies. Appears in the future I will have to hold my nose no matter what airline I choose.

Posts: 159 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying through Amsterdam with rifles or ammunition requires a special permit.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
While flying Emirates may have some great benefits, they are a real PIA when it comes to meds. I am flying them the first time in a few weeks enroute to Lusaka. I have a script for testosterone and dilaudid, for kidney stones, what a bunch of hoops to jump through. The list of meds prohibited is several pages long. Including extra strength Tylenol, excedrin migraine........ I have applied for a permit with Dubai ministry of health and am waiting to see if i can fly with meds or not. This application requires letters from my doctors and copy of prescriptions. Pretty darned backwards if you ask me. So I am not sure I will go down the road flying with them or not in the future.

Wow, no Sudafed.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well five trips to Africa and everyone has had at least one leg on SAA.

Firearms will be charged at the following rates per sector.

Shooting / Hunting (Firearms & Ammunition – subject to correct transportation / safety procedure being followed).

Within South Africa USD 30
Within Africa USD 60
International USD 100

If you get on SAA at Heathrow and got to Jo'Burg and then on to Zim or Namibia, is that one $100 charge per rifle For the International leg and another $60 for the Africa leg? (each way)

Years ago, I was checking in at OR Tambo Domestic from the International flight and the SAA Ticket clerks tried to scam me saying that I owed a $50 charge for the firearms transfer, now I guess it won't be a scam.

Renting/borrowing a rifle is a lot more difficult for us left handed people so this may motivate me to try hunting more on other continents.

Half the fun of getting ready for the next trip is the practice and load work up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Well five trips to Africa and everyone has had at least one leg on SAA. If you get on SAA at Heathrow and got to Jo'Burg and then on to Zim or Namibia, is that one $100 charge per rifle or is that two International flights and two $100 charges? (each way)

Renting/borrowing a rifle is a lot more difficult for us left handed people.

Half the fun of getting ready for the next trip is the practice and load work up.

Frank, it's per rifle, per flight leg.

$100 international leg outside of Africa. $60 per leg international within African continent.

For the flight we were looking at, I'm taking 2 rifles and my son is taking 2 rifles. On SAA we were looking at 1 leg from the US to JoBerg $200 each, then 1 leg from JoBerg to Harare $120 Each. Then the same on return. Total was $640 added to each ticket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am flying soon. I purchased my tickets in Feb.

I was most concerned with the statement to notify. I was not aware of such and still can't find any reference to it on flysaa.com. I called out of concern. Waited 30 minutes on hold. I was told notification was necessary and the "special handling team" would be notified and my ticket would be marked as traveling with a firearm.

Then they asked for the $120 for two legs. After a bit of back and forth they agreed there would be no charge this time due to purchase before the 15th of May.

As always, I plan on flying with all applicable rules and website info printed and a dose of patience. I will carry this email with me in case I get hit again at the counter.