THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Credit Card facilities Johannesburg International Airport

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card facilities Johannesburg International Airport
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for advice on facilities accepting credit cards ( Visa mainly ) at Johannesburg International Airport. Will be on layover there for a few hours later this year and want to avoid carrying currency if possible. Any spending would mainly be food / beverages. Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2025 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent a ton of money there using my Southwest Airlines Visa card. No issues, just call your CC company and tell them you are traveling.

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Like dogcat said be sure to notify your CC company of your travel plans. Most will automatically disallow any charges originating in Africa without any such notification.

Never had any problems in Joberg airport using my Visa card, but most places wouldn't accept my Amex card.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments and advice.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2025 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most everyone takes MasterCard and Visa and you will have no problems at JNB. The food court is acceptable and you can find something there to eat. BUT, watch your bags as in keep them under your feet AT ALL TIMES. The food court is notorious for bag thieves. Mad

Amex is pretty much worthless here as no one wants to accept it. In addition to notifying your credit card company regarding your travel, ask them about foreign transaction fees. Some cards like the Capital One Venture card does not have any fees plus you can bank miles as well.

Credit card companies general offer a much more favorable exchange rate when they clear your purchases when compared to exchanging dollars for Rand cash. You can carry a few Rand for tipping, otherwise, a credit card is the way to go.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used my Amex Platinum Delta Sky Miles Credit Card routinely in the Joburg airport on many trips. tu2 Not sure where you all have been turned down, but I use it on every trip at Out of Africa and at a number of other shops. Just did so again last August. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have used my Amex Platinum Delta Sky Miles Credit Card routinely in the Joburg airport on many trips. tu2 Not sure where you all have been turned down, but I use it on every trip at Out of Africa and at a number of other shops. Just did so again last August. Big Grin

Not to shout you down, but you're pretty lucky (or perceptive), but the main CCs in RSA are VISA and MC - AMEX, Diners - not so acceptable.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cabelas visa, no issues but I called Visa a week ahead and told then I would be in Joburg.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Looking for advice on facilities accepting credit cards ( Visa mainly ) at Johannesburg International Airport. Will be on layover there for a few hours later this year and want to avoid carrying currency if possible. Any spending would mainly be food / beverages. Cheers.

Uh.. pretty much everywhere :-)

The drug store, the clothing stores, the liquor store, the trinket store, the book store...... Yeah - easy to spend money there on credit cards :-)

I use AMEX and MasterCard - no problems...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote