New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have traveled to Namibia six times via Frankfurt and with Air Namibia to Windhoek.
NO MORE ! Prices for the same routing( Abq-Atl
Frk,thence Air Namibia to Whk)
for 2014 trip were much higher than for prior trips. In addition,Delta 2nd bag charge, ($150) Air Namibia gun case "surcharge"($200),the Frk. gun transit permit(hassle plus charge for permit and wire transfer fee-$80- AND the cost of a "day" room add some $550 to the ticket cost !!
I will fly SAA NY - Jbg. and SAA shuttle flight to Whk.next trip, avoiding Air Namibia and Fankfurt entirely!! Jbg. arrival time allows for early flight to Whk. AND no need for overnight stay in Jbg. an additional savings...
True, flight will be a grueling,non-stop trip but one can put up with some discomfort to save
over $1000 in fare and ancillary costs.I will know how well this routing works after this next trip. Check with Steve Turner -Travel With Guns for this or other alternate carriers and routes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But won't you miss the added adventure experienced when Air Namibia cancels your flight? That has got to be worth something!

Posts: 99 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Or the adventure when an engine catches on fire on take off....lol

Yes it happened to us.

Stopckmaker...From my experience that Frankfurt transit permit is a bunch of hooey if your guns are in transit. I never bothered with it in September and no one asked for it.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stopckmaker, I agree with you.

I made the trip from Washington/Dulles to JBG then to Windhoek without an overnight stay a few years ago. I departed Dulles around 6:00 PM and arrive in Windhoek the next day around 9:00 PM. Considering the time difference it was not a bad flight at all. If I were to do it again I would do it the same way. The only thing that I might change is to fly from JFK non stop to JBG and then to Windhoek. However, doing it this way you might have a long lay over in JBG.

Travel safely.

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
This past May I flew SAA from NY to Joberg then on the Kasane, Botswana where I was picked up and we drove to the Caprivi Strip in Namibia. My outfitter, Karl Stumpfe, recommended staying away from Air Namibia due to many problems and cancelled flights. This route worked fine both ways. No overnight in Joberg and guns/bags were checked all the way through from NY so no SAPS crap.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote