New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta PITA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last Friday a friend and I returned from our third safari. In Atlanta, we were first in line to collect our weapons (bows in our case) at the room where they check gun serial numbers. It took more than 30 minutes before someone came to start clearing weapons. The line was 30+ people long and becoming very un happy.
Then after that fiasco, we were sent to another line that took 30-40 minutes and all they did was spray the bottom of our hunting boots with something.
I had two hours for my connection. I ran to the train and then to the gate. The plane door was closed. They refused to let me on. I walked toward the re booking desk and I guess they had a change of heart and came and got me and let me on.
The people that run these weapons check and boot sanitizing operations were typical government employees, slow, incompetent and could care less about their performance.

If you go through Atlanta, be warned and expect that you might miss a connection.

Happy hunting.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through Atlanta 3 times recently and it was a breeze. The line to get your boots sprayed was not there.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've flown to Africa from Atlanta, Dulles and NY. The only place I've encountered the long delay in clearing your guns is Atlanta. My last two trips have been from JFK airport in NY. Despite all the horror stories you hear about guns in NY it's quite easy. I've never experienced any problems with guns in NY.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2302 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there were 30 people waiting then this likely contributed to the problem. They will not open the door to the 'glass room' until all the items are unloaded and present. Otherwise the mix and match between who's there and what's there would be even more of circus. I've found them to be friendly and during low traffic times. Maybe I was just lucky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was through Atlanta for my fifth time in July and it was definantly the slowest it has ever been in five trips!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing is Atlanta is the only airport where I've had my guns run through the stolen firearms data base. Customs never did this at Dulles or JFK.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2302 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been through Atl. at least a dozen times. Always need to allow at least 2.5 hours before your next flight. Never had an issue but never had 30 hunters on a flight either.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will allow 3 hrs layover in ATL due to the same problems the OP had. They keep you waiting because they can get away with it, and Yep, had to wait to spray the boots.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just skip Atlanta and fly from Washington or New York.

I find SAA much more enjoyable anyway.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had somewhat of a similar problem last year. Its all part of travel and it will only get worse. Hope it goes better for you next time

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only real complaint about Hotlanta was that there was no organization.
There was no 1st in 1st out.
They just picked up paperwork at random & called that person in when I was there quite some time before those being called.
There were only 2 people ahead of me when I got there, but we sat there for quite some time watching others walk in & get checked ahead of us.
At least at the drivers license office you get to pick a number & they are called in order.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Last Friday a friend and I returned from our third safari. In Atlanta, we were first in line to collect our weapons (bows in our case) at the room where they check gun serial numbers. It took more than 30 minutes before someone came to start clearing weapons. The line was 30+ people long and becoming very un happy.
Then after that fiasco, we were sent to another line that took 30-40 minutes and all they did was spray the bottom of our hunting boots with something.
I had two hours for my connection. I ran to the train and then to the gate. The plane door was closed. They refused to let me on. I walked toward the re booking desk and I guess they had a change of heart and came and got me and let me on.
The people that run these weapons check and boot sanitizing operations were typical government employees, slow, incompetent and could care less about their performance.

If you go through Atlanta, be warned and expect that you might miss a connection.

Happy hunting.

I have had the same problem. On the other hand, I have breezed right through. I am not at all convinced that the new procedures are good on an overall basis. it can be the luck of the draw.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through Atlanta in June and the only hang up was the 15 guys claiming their rifles at the same time. We spent the time swapping hunting stories and telling other lies! The two security guys were fine and I did not experience and anti-hunter behavior. Even the gal at the "spray booth" was helpful digging my boots out of my bag. Just lucky I guess.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
If they spray every shoe you have, do they dry pretty fast to enable you to wear them home or should I bring some Converse etc. to wear on the flight back.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No real drying time. Just spray and go!
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They only sprayed my hunting boots.
They did not ask if I had hunted in my sneakers & I did not tell them that I had.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left my boots with a tracker...didn't even look at my sneakers!

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:

Les

How so, specifically?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
The spraying thing is such a joke. I came through there twice last season and both times it was totally on the "honor" system. You were supposed to get your hunting boots out and they would spray them. No spraying of any other shoes or boots you were wearing on the same ground. Dumb.

At least they were spraying while people were waiting in line to clear guns, so you didn't have to wait in two separate lines.

My recipe for Atlanta is to go straight to the gun room to secure a place near the head of the line. Clear guns, get boots sprayed while you're waiting for guns if possible, then go get your bags of the belt. If you go get your bags first you'll likely be at the end of a long line of guys waiting to clear guns. If you have a travel partner this works even better because one person can stand in the gun line while the other pulls bags off the belt.

I've come through Atlanta maybe five or six times and never been unduly delayed, though I agree it is a PITA.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

Les

How so, specifically?

JGR,

This from a related thread about a year ago. While many here prefer Delta and Atlanta. My opinion differs:

"I just got back two weeks ago from Zim and SA.

I have made this trip 10 times, 9 on SAA and 1 - this last one on Delta.

I was expecting great things from Delta based on all who have posted here, but I was underwhelmed.

Compared to my last few SAA flights [August, 2012, October 2011] I prefer their service and convenience.

This is all based on little things really but it is what it is.
They are:
Deltas No cancellation policy, requiring insurance. +$240
Deltas One Bag restriction +$150 for the 2nd bag [RT]
Deltas 777 seemed rather worn, rubbed and slightly dingy [SAA's Airbus' were new last year]
Deltas food service was only OK, same food both ways, and so very - American. [SAA's seems more like a "Foreign" airline - different - african.]
Deltas beverage service was stingy [" No you may not have two glasses of wine. We'll be around again later"]
Deltas on board staff were "american airline" competent - indifferent and disinterested.[made me feel right at home!]
Deltas flight times are very late in the day requiring lots of wasted airport time and connection issues.
Delta provides no on board "amenity kit"

Deltas seats WERE softer, same size, but soft vs SAA's "Euro sports car" feel.
Deltas JNB staff were equally rude and barely competent as are the average at JNB.
Deltas firearms "Security" person asked outright for "a little something" to be sure that the firearms were safely on board the aircraft. [The SAA/JNB security staff seem to expect/appreciate something but are not asking for it.]

So, for me, I don't see the Delta charm and if you can get to the SAA JFK departure without undue hassle it seems a "no-brainer" choice to me, esp with connections from JNB!"

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, just wondered. I've been through ATL/J'burg twice and didn't have any problems. I wouldn't mind trying the SAA route you described if it offers some real advantages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JGR

The the only "real" advantage would be found by taking the non-stop flight from JFK which flies in the late morning and arrives early enough the next day to catch many more connecting flights, and like Delta it is non-stop.

Other than avoiding ATL and Delta for the above noted reasons [including the Customs silliness], to me it seems that on SAA I've gotten a head start on being in South Africa. {the people, the food, the beer and wine etc}

I just enjoy the experience more. It's still cattle car class, and the service is still South African, but I know what to expect. On Delta, I felt that I might as well be flying to Dallas.

I suppose its personal preference.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from South Africa through Atlanta Monday morning. It was the 6:30 am arrival and there was only a skeleton crew to process all the passengers. The gun room was a joke. It took a long time to process everyone there is only one table and only two at a time can go in.
The nice Customs agent insisted that the 9.3x62 was my serial number and it took a while to convince him otherwise. Then we were ushered to Agricultural to undergo screening and spray shoes of course only one employee and one lane open for all those people. It seems that they don't properly staff for the am arrivals. Luckily we didn't have a tight connecting flight.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I came through Atlanta last month(July). The line to pick up your firearms and have them "inspected" was quite long and the government employees took their sweet time. Then came the most irritating part: another long line at the Ag. inspection line (required for all hunters). Here they eventually not only sprayed your boots, but ran all of your luggage through the x-ray machines for inspection. I even had one of the fools ask me if I had ammo in my checked bag, as if it had any bearing on the boot inspection and spray. Total time wasted between the firearm and boot inspection: 1.5 hours. By the time I left the Ag inspection area, all of the regular passengers on the flight had long gone on to their connecting flights. And then, to make matters worse, my checked bag was again opened and inspected by TSA after being rechecked and the goons broke the zipper completely off of one of my expensive toiletry bags-left it sticking out of the hardside suitcase. What a joke. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I had the same experience in ATL. I missed a connection. Two and a half hours and I had everything in order. They busted folks for having one feather in a gun case, having a copy of the 4447 and not the original and so on. Complete crap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Les

While I have not flown through JFK to Africa, I have flown through Washington Dulles several times. The Customs / Ag Inspection seems much more organized.

One time while walking up to the Customs Desk with bags, rifle and 4457 in hand - they just glanced at the 4457 and waved me through. No Ag Inspection at all.

Another time they examined the rifles and asked about what caliber they should plan to use if they went over there. As for the Ag Inspection - they asked how long since I'd been actually on a farm, "a week" I said. They said "just go on, Thank You!"

Last time they looked at the rifle and said I could go, I ASKED about the Ag inspection and they said "Oh! Yeah. Right. ...er go over and see that guy over there!" He quickly sprayed the boots and put them in plastic bags for me and helped me repack everything.

I can not imagine a reason to fly through Atlanta to Africa or on Delta for that matter.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, it was a few years back, 5, but I had no problem with Atlanta. in fact, ended up setting around for several hours. But can fly from Dulles directly to Joburg on SAA, problem being, that they stop on the way over to clean the plane and refuel, and where they stop is in the area where they are having the ebola problem. But either Atlanta or Dulles directly to JOburg better than going through Europe. I have not had my shoes, or hunting boots sprayed anywhere, is this new? been over 2 more times since 2011, and no shoe spraying.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I arrived in ATL with firearms night before last via British Airways.

Needless to say, I was the only person claiming firearms, so this step went fast.

Didn't need Global Entry because most passengers weren't US citizens, so there was no line there, either.

In any case, always plan on two hours to clear firearms alone in addition to whatever else layover is necessary.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Admittedly, it was a few years back, 5, but I had no problem with Atlanta. in fact, ended up setting around for several hours. But can fly from Dulles directly to Joburg on SAA, problem being, that they stop on the way over to clean the plane and refuel, and where they stop is in the area where they are having the ebola problem. But either Atlanta or Dulles directly to JOburg better than going through Europe. I have not had my shoes, or hunting boots sprayed anywhere, is this new? been over 2 more times since 2011, and no shoe spraying.

last i heard, there were no cases of Ebola in Senegal.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I landed in ATL just yesterday morning.
The Global Entry helps for clearing the guns also. If you have it you move to the front of the line.
There were about 30 guys in line with guns. It actually went fairly smooth. The boot spraying line was't bad either. They did have a problem with people(non hunters)that had fruit with them.

Overall not a bad experience. I have waited longer with the older system'

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went thru Atlanta this morning, no problems though there were about 20 rifle/bow cases to be inspected. While waiting my turn in line I was talking to a CBP supervisor who told me that a new gun clearing room is in the works and will be ready by next spring, it will be in about the same area as the small glass room they now use bur will be about 40 feet long and will have inspection stations set up to handle 2 to 4 cases at a time. The plan is for hunters to enter what is the rear of the existing room and exit the end where you now enter (only about 40 feet further along the wall). I hope their plan works out. Also, for the first time the USDA check was all the way across the baggage claim area accessed via a "roped off" lane along the wall. Same guy spraying boots, though.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I came back thru Atlanta late Sunday night. I have no idea how this happened, but I filled out the card with amounts to declare (minimal) and the fact that we had been hunting on farmland.

For some odd reason, no one ever looked at the card, we basically walked thru and walked out. Since we had both left our boots in Romania, we really had nothing to spray/wash but they didn't know that.

Probably the easiest transit thru US Customs I've ever done.....then, of course, Delta screwed up our confirmed reservations, but we made it on to the flight, barely.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i came thur atlanta two sunday ago. they where friendly and they where trying to get everyone done has fast as they could. but everyone was complaining about the extra screening and boot spraying. i had a lot of time between flights so i didn't mind if everyone went ahead of me. all i would do anyway is sit at the next gate. but i think south africa airline are a little nicer than delta.

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The boot-spraying is to avoid the spread of hoof-and-mouth.

Get it into livestock and they'll have to kill some cows and hogs.

Get it in the local deer herd and you'll never stop it.

A little Lysol can go a long way.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9574 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I went through Atlanta 3 weeks ago and it is the usual government mess..Now you have to go through a separate screening that xrays your luggage before you get your boots sprayed. I've been through Atlanta for the last 3 years and before they used to spray you your boots outside the rifle check out, but now I had to go through and UNMARKED line. Before it was just if you were in cattle country, but now anywhere.. ANother government stupid rule. It is not the airlines but our friends? in the feds. I dont think elephants carry hoof and mouth disease.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:

last i heard, there were no cases of Ebola in Senegal.....

That just changed.....

Authorities in Senegal confirmed the country’s first Ebola case Friday, raising new fear about the disease’s spread through West Africa.

The country, the fifth afflicted in what is already the worst Ebola outbreak on record, is a major hub for transportation, business and aid work in the region.

More than 3,000 suspected and confirmed Ebola cases have been reported in West Africa, and more than 1,500 people have died of the virus, according to figures released by the World Health Organization. A separate outbreak has killed at least 13 people in a remote region of the Democratic Republic of Congo in Central Africa.

Senegal’s patient is a university student from neighboring Guinea, where the outbreak began in March, Health Minister Awa Marie Coll Seck said in Dakar, the Senegalese capital.

Guinea notified Senegal on Wednesday that a young man who had been under surveillance there disappeared three weeks ago and may have traveled to Senegal, she said.

The student was located at a hospital in Dakar, where he had presented himself the previous day without disclosing that he had had close contact with Ebola victims in his home country.

Tests confirmed that the man was infected with the virus, and he remains under quarantine in “satisfactory” condition, the minister said. Coll Seck appealed for calm and strict adherence to hygiene measures.

Senegal’s announcement underscored the acceleration of the epidemic. Last week saw the highest increase yet in Ebola cases in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, the countries most affected by the outbreak, the World Health Organization said Friday.

In Nigeria, where the outbreak was believed largely contained, health officials this week confirmed the first Ebola death outside the commercial center of Lagos.

WHO has said that more than 20,000 people could become infected.

Hoping to prevent the spread of the disease, Senegal last week closed its land border with Guinea and barred flights to and from the three worst-affected countries.

http://www.latimes.com/world/a...-20140829-story.html

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new automated customs entry system in Atlanta is a breeeeze to use and I spent exactly 3 minutes to get to baggage claim. Now, if the baggage would arrive a little faster, I would be through the entire process within 15 minutes.

I don't travel with rifles any more, so can't speak to what's happening with the entire rifle check mess. But there is no question that TSA intentionally makes the process impossible.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it that Atlanta seems to be the pita when they should all be following the same rules?
Been through there twice, 1st time was very good, 2nd time, disorganization & apathy were the problems.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Went through ATL last Friday, early am. I was pleasantly surprised. The first officials directing everyone to the computer screens were polite, smiling, and spoke English that I could actually understand. The Customs agent in the booth asked how my trip was and advised me to get my regular bag first, as the rifles always take too long. The baggage was a little slow arriving, but my rifle was in the room by the time I got in line. The gun guys were pleasant and one even asked me if my carbine/mannlicher stock kicked very much. Standing in the boot spray line a lady asked if we had Global Entry. I replied "Next time, I'll have it." She also asked about our boots and we told her we'd left them. After she didn't find anyone with Global Entry, she came back to us and got us and another couple out of line, took us around, and put us in front of the others at the x-ray machines. Not exactly fair, but I wasn't going to start arguing with this lady. Delta re-swab of the gun cases was fairly quick and we were out of there to security. Now if only they had a foot wash for my Indian fellow travelers immediately after removing their shoes, it would have been a entirely pleasant experience.

I too have always thought that our U.S. Customs agents are some of the rudest, most unhappy employees in our Federal government, but for some reason last Friday, they acted like they'd passed out Prozac prior to our arrival.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, it was in 2012, but our trip through Customs to pick up our guns was a slow PITA. There were only about 10+ of us all from Africa and they were in no effort at all to get us checked through so that we could catch our connection. It was a complete mess. There's *no* way that they don't know that a flight is coming from a hunting origination and to be prepared to be ready for a line. Totally ridiculous.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote