New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dubai v Heathrow
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Dubai International Airport has been busier than Heathrow.

Got a message from an English friend.

Went to England a few weeks ago, and took him over six hours from landing to get out of the airport.

In Dubai he timed his landing and being in Emirates limo.

26 minutes!!! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67322 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m impressed.

I thought Qatar was very well run when I was there…

But if he got on an Emirates limo, it would seem to mean he was in transit and didn’t have to get luggage.

Our local airport - Minneapolis-

I can get on a plane usually within an hour if domestic (and I don’t have any of the special stuff- global entry/pre check) unless it’s a busy day/time/flight delayed.

Getting home, if domestic and no luggage (carry on only) I’m out and in my car in about 15 minutes.

If I’m waiting for baggage it’s about :45- 1 hour (more if I have to deal with special services)

If I’m returning from overseas and need to deal with CBP, if we are the only ones in international arrivals, it’s about an hour with clearing guns. It has been as bad as 3 hours at MSP. Worst was Ohare and 6 hours (during this Covid crap). Usually your baggage gets to the CBP racks faster than to the normal ones.

Pretty much since all my out of country flights involve guns and hunting, it takes me longer than most.

Dealing with ancillary things like car rental really add time to things.

If I got global entry, I don’t think it would save me much at Minneapolis. It would save a lot of time at busy places like Atlanta, NYC, or OHare (Chicago). Lining up to deal with government functionaries is the usual time sink.

Out of the US, my worst time waster was Darwin, Australia… the gun part is rare enough that it took quite a while- going to the customs office the day before was a real pain in the rump. Cameroon was also bad. Bribery required. Johannesburg has nothing on Cameroon.

And I’ve been through Heathrow many times. It’s not the best, but far from the worst.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experiences in Dubai are very similar to your friends. Our layovers have ranged from 11 hours to 23 hours, Emirates has provided a hotel room and a limo from the airport to the hotel and then back to the airport, no issues whatsoever.
My experience in Darwin are pretty bad as well, luggage lost between Sydney and Darwin (including firearms) and incredibly rude customs officers blaming us for lost firearms. Enough to make me think long and hard about any more trips to Australia.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2811 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I landed in Dubai it took me close to an hour getting from the plane to just the terminal. Took a hour long bus ride across the airport.

Most big airports suck - you have to simply walk way too much.

Heathrow is amongst the worst. Terminal 5 is good everything else sucks.

Best big airport I like is Hong Kong.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I'll be flying to Zimbabwe from England and transiting through Dubai in August. I originally planned to fly from Heathrow but I've heard so many negative comments regarding it, I changed my plans.

I am now flying from Birmingham International Airport which is what I did in 2019 when I went to Zambia.

I have always found Dubai airport to be a nice experience.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 692 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Last time I landed in Dubai it took me close to an hour getting from the plane to just the terminal. Took a hour long bus ride across the airport.

Mike

I have that happen to me too when the plane is packed so far away.

But my point is the hassle and incompetence inside the terminal!

Posts: 67322 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

I have that happen to me too when the plane is packed so far away.

But my point is the hassle and incompetence inside the terminal!

No one can beat heathrow at that. Their transfer point security, Covid test screening, just paper work is horrific in terminal 4.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
General Dayan once said God might have created red tape.

The English have perfected it! clap