THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    My Travel Learnings on our June/July Trip - Air Tags are a must

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Travel Learnings on our June/July Trip - Air Tags are a must
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
This is the 6th time I've been to Africa (5th time to RSA, Namibia) and the only time I've had issues.

1. My wife and I used United Airlines. AUS to EWR to CPT. We barely made the EWR flight since all traffic was held for several hours into EWR. They shut door behind us. We had our carry-ons with 3 days of clothes, meds, optics, camera, etc.

2. Apple Air Tags are a must! We used them in all checked and carry-on bags and the ammo case inside a checked bag. They are allowed by the FAA since they have 0.1 grams of lithium, under the 0.3 gram limit. This saved us!!!!

3. Our 4 checked bags had to catch-up to us 2 days later in Cape Town. 3 bags went on Lufthansa through Frankfurt. Once it leaves UA's possession, they can't track it until it shows up at final destination. We were able to track it all the way to CPT. On the rifles, they went UA to JNB to CPT since the EU was not an option as you need an advance transit permit. However, they got stuck at SAPS in JNB for some reason (we located with Air Tags) and Bruce at Gracy went to the airport and made sure they got to CPT the next morning as they missed the evening flight.

4. Two areas we got lucky. One, I think you need a transit permit for ammo through the EU as well. (I did for Amsterdam in 2018). One of the bags that went through Fankfurt had a locked Pelican case inside with our ammo. And the bag had a receipt inside from the German Aviation Police saying they searched the bag (the only one of the three). So either you don't need a permit for ammo or we got a friendly officer and the locked container saved us (which I had to separate from East London to JNB when leaving). Second, one of the folks in CPT that helps Gracy was able to collect all 4 bags, including the rifles from SAPS, without us being at the airport. That saved us a trip to the airport.

5. We used a courier to take the rifles and ammo from CPT to our hunting destination in the Eastern Cape. So we didn't have to hassle with them at Bablyonstoren or from CPT to Dulini River @ Sabi Sands and back thru JNB to East London.

6. Delta saved us. I changed my return flight early on in the trip to go back through Atlanta to avoid any gray areas with my suppressor in New Jersey. My wife stayed on the UA flight. Well, the morning of the return home, UA cancelled her flight and rebooked her on flight from CPT through Dulles that had insufficient time for her to collect her bags at JNB. So Gracy switched her to Delta, same flight as me.

Learnings:
1) Use Air Tags
2) Use courier if you are vacationing prior or after hunting
3) Stick with Delta (which I used 3 times prior with zero issues)

Alternatively - charter a private jet. Outside of my means!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use AirTags on all my luggage.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I use AirTags. Android users can use "tile"

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air tags. tu2

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My tags have animal names.

Like hippo, lion, leopard, chimp etc.

Sitting at an airport lounge, sorting through photos on my iPad, a young girl kept walking behind me to see underwater I had.

She was 6.

I asked her parents that she is welcome to sit next to me and look.

They all wanted to look.

Then we looked at animal pictures, both from the wild and from our own animals.

Then I told them animals are at the airport too.

Of course, no one believed me.

Got my phone out, and opened FINDMY app.

Sure enough, there WERE animals at the airport.

Including two right there in the lounge with us!

The mother asked if I was a magician!?

I had to disappoint them, and showed them how the AirTags worked.

The father started laughing so much, saying April - the daughter - is going to remember this for a long long time! rotflmo

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We have never used them before but will definitely use them from now on.

Short money for big peace of mind!

Saeed, I am going to have to copy you on the animal names. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am in Emirates lounge right now.

Tracking my zoo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in Emirates lounge right now.

Wish I was sitting in an Emirates lounge right now. Somewhere. Anywhere. Wink

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about air tags. Never heard of them but just ordered several for my trip to Zim in six weeks! Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Returned yesterday from JNB to ATL to San Antonio. This trip, I used airtags for the first time. Been to Africa several times (over a dozen) and have "enjoyed" the adventure of guessing where my or my wife's bag may be a couple of times. Last August we flew Emirates to JNB, then AirLink to Windhoek. Her bag did not make the last leg, and the baggage problem solver in Windhoek provided no help in seeing where it might be. Went to a mall to resupply and it worked out OK. Got the bag 5 days later. Few years ago went to Mozambique and after overnighting at Africa Sky, we flew on to Beira. My bag got left off the flight to Beira, apparently due to machine parts being a better deal for South African Airways shuttle service. It finally caught up with us a week later. In both cases, an air tag would have been a help.

No problems this trip, but it was reassuring to be able to confirm they at least made the flight. Smiler

Flew Delta and their app does a good job of letting you track your checked bags. Still, the reassurance from the air tags was nice!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Do you attach them external to your luggage or put the air tag inside?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Do you attach them external to your luggage or put the air tag inside?

AirTags are small round objects.

You can buy key holders that fit them.

I use these to attach them inside the case.

NEVER on the outside.

You can use up to 16 on an iPhone.

I have friends who use them in their cars, against theft.

We use GPS trackers in all our cars.

Fir this one pays a yearly subscription fee, very reasonable.

You have up to 3 months of past routes, speeds, stopping etc.

But the AirPods are cheaper if you don’t need all the details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an android. What would I use & where do I purchase them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy45:
I have an android. What would I use & where do I purchase them?

Called Android Tile. Been around for a while now. As in most all things searchable Google is your friend...

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Puddle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another use for air tags…I use them on my farm equipment, tractors, skid steer, etc.. Thieves know about and look for common GPS trackers, people place multiple units hoping one isn’t found and removed. Air tags are easily concealed and can be considered disposable so can be placed where they are almost impossible to remove. Pretty easy to see where each piece of equipment is located, only downside is if I tell my wife I’m working with equipment at a certain location the air tag will verify that the machine is really there Wink
Currently $87.00 for 4 at Costco.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Amazon had them a few weeks ago for the same price.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I'd known about these. Delta still can't seem to find(or are not even trying) my rifles for going on a month now. The last time I could check their bag tracker link, the rifles were showing loaded on plane in Joberg for Atlanta on 6/30/2023.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crackerman
posted Hide Post
Late to the posting party but as said AirTags are awesome when traveling. One in checked luggage and one in a carryon and I’m golden. Lots of holders available and easy to stow.

If you are former mil or first responder in the US you can get them at a discount on Apple.com and even engraved. Those ship from the PRC pretty quick.

Posts: 31 | Location: New Hampshire  | Registered: 03 November 2016Reply With Quote