Find
Notify
Tools

New Head for SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted
Anyone with inside knowledge have any idea what this might mean for hunters traveling to SA?

February 24, 2010

State owned South African Airways on Wednesday named Siza Mzimera as the new chief executive to replace the acting head of the airline Chris Smyth, a company spokeswoman said.

Vimla Maistry said Mzimera, who is currently the head of domestic carrier SA Express, will effectively take charge on April 1 from Smyth, who has been acting SAA CEO for over year.

"I can confirm that we have appointed a new CEO, she is Siza Mzimera. She will come in (at SAA) one day a week in March and in April she will go one day a week to SA Express, just to tie up things," Maistry said.

Early this month, President Jacob Zuma said he had ordered an external audit of state companies, following persistent reports of mismanagement and political meddling, and that he wants faster action to curb corruption.

Zuma pointed to SAA and power utility Eskom, which he said had always had problems.

Key roles at SAA and logistics group Transnet have also been left unfilled as the companies struggle to resolve internal battles.

Analysts have said that political meddling in efforts to resolve the companies' problems has raised questions about South Africa's ability to run state-owned firms, making investors hesitate to commit new funds and raising the cost of loans.

(Reuters

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I guess they want to make sure the airline is up to snuff for the World Cup. Big Grin

Wasn't the lady's charge (SA Express) just in some trouble for poor maintenance?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7698 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA used to be one really great airline. This latest news is just another reason to fly with someone else.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
another sterling example of the success of BEE.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
And the examples over here are stacking up like firewood. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Only two I guess but probably not for lack of effort.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
'Give us a chance' - SAA's Siza Mzimela
08 Mon, Mar 2010

Newly appointed SAA ceo Siza Mzimela has an affinity for happy endings and her plans for the beleaguered airline are no different.

Despite the problems SAA has experienced and the challenges Mzimela will face in her new role, she is confident that her previous aviation experience and passion for the industry will stand her in good stead to bring a happy ending to years of strife at the national carrier.

The announcement of her appointment came as an independent investigation was completed into alleged bad governance practices by the airline’s former ceo, Khaya Ngqula.

Ngqula was suspended following allegations of bad governance and abuse of SAA’s procurement system. The results of the investigation are expected to be made public this month. Since Khaya’s suspension, Chris Smythe, who is now heading up the airline’s operations, had been acting ceo.

“There has been a certain amount of confidence lost as a result of what has happened in the past. There are good things that people have done and continue to do every day but these have not been visible in the industry. I hope we can rebuild the confidence and trust that has been lost,” said Mzimela.

She said proper governance and internal procedures would need to be built on in the coming months.

“Work has already been done in this area but we need to build further on this and ensure we are a perfect example of proper governance in any state-owned enterprise.”

“Part of growing and consolidating routes will be to enter into codeshare agreements with partners in Africa.”

With 14 years in SAA including, among other positions, research analyst, executive vp of global passenger services and responsibility for the airline’s core business global sales and Voyager, as well as board member of SA Tourism, chairperson of the Airlines Association of South Africa and ceo of South African Express, Mzimela is well positioned to take on the new challenge.

Under her tenure as SAX ceo, the regional airline grew in leaps and bounds, introducing a number of new routes and launching Congo Express, a new airline in the DRC. Last year SA Express declared a nett profit of R235m, under difficult economic circumstances.

“I do have a good understanding of some of the challenges within aviation and I think I bring a lot to the table, including my ability to build teams and motivate employees to want a common goal. The most important thing I bring is my passion for the industry,” she said.

Mzimela’s immediate plans for SAA include reviewing the preparations made for the 2010 Soccer World Cup and tackling “burning issues” that need to be addressed speedily.

“Ask me in two weeks’ time and I will have a much longer list for you,” she laughed.

Mzimela recognises that a good working relationship with the travel trade is vital to the success of the airline.

One of the areas of focus for the trade, she says, is to ensure proper communication. Rebuilding and improving the lines of communication between the airline and trade is a top priority for Mzimela.

“Please give SAA chance. Don’t allow one or two negative actions to dent the image of the airline. There are thousands of people who are doing their best every day.”

A welcome appointment

Government and industry leaders have applauded Mzimela’s appointment, saying she is, without a doubt, the best person for the job.

“I have the greatest amount of support for Mzimela’s appointment and absolutely back her. I have known her since she joined SAA and in her position as the chairman of the Airline Association. I think she has all the qualities and business acumen to take SAA to new heights. She needs to build up a good team but I have no doubt that she has a strategy and knows what to do,” said Airlines Association of South Africa ce, Chris Zweigenthal.

Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa ceo, Allan Moore, agrees. “I have found Mzimela to be a good leader; she is capable and knows what she is doing.”

Michael Tatalias, ceo of Southern Africa Tourism Services Association, said the appointment of Mzimela was an indication that government had heeded the call from the public and private sector to fill important positions with experienced people.

“It is great that SAA has a ceo with hands-on, relevant experience and the business acumen to run a successful airline,” he said.

The Tourism Business Council of South Africa said Mzimela’s appointment was not only key for SAA, but for the industry as a whole.

Melody Brandon

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote