New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser 98 action weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Woder if anyone could help?: In order to get a rough idea of build weight I would like to know the -action only- weight (including floorplate, mag box, trigger assy etc) of a typical FN commercial 98.

Could anyone help please?

I would weigh the action myself but it is several hundred miles distant right now..

Thanks

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't much help, but FN's and Mausers in general are heavy. There are far better choices for a lightweight build.

I don't know what you are building. But it is hard to keep a 98(FN) actioned, wood stocked rifle below 8 pounds. The stripped receiver alone is 15.5 ounces. I don't know the action weights as there are so many variables - triggers, bolt shrouds, Safeties, hinged or drop floorplate assys, etc.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lightweight build by any means. 9.3 x 62 on a walther #724 profile. Just trying to get a handle on the all up weight.

Factory FN commercial c 1960s with standard side safety trigger, and a steel hinged floorplate.

Thanks

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See if this helps.

http://brownprecision.com/Selecting-Components.htm

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
Large ring standard Mauser 98's such as your FN weigh 45 ounces.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
On a M98/FN the complete bolt assembly and the stripped receiver weigh just under a pound each. The bottom metal with spring and follower is about 3/4 of a pound. Add the trigger and you are very close to the 2.75 pounds that others have mentioned.

Aftermarket bottom metal tends to weigh a bit more than the commercial of military units.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Seems like everyone always exaggerates how much Mausers weigh. If you look at the chart and compare the LA 700 BDL to the Mark X, You have to take into account that the Mark X has all steel, milled bottom metal compared to the BDL which is aluminum, with a sheet metal mag box. There is no practical difference between them, but if you put an alloy TG on the Mauser it would be lighter. I have a wood stocked, all steel Mark X in 416 Hoffman that weighs 6-3/4 lbs. It will knock the snot out of you with full power 400 gr. loads, but it is light!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lee440 let's see some pictures and more details of that gun. That is very light. I find it hard to believe it is all steel. What species is the wood? What steps have you taken to lighten up the steel and/or stock? I am going to assume that this must be an iron sighted gun with a very short and slender barrel; a pretty specialized rig. I'll bet the barrel gets hot in a hurry and is good for about 2 shots. It sounds like a joy to carry, but a misery to shoot!

Mauser 98's can be made light, but at what cost, financially and in versatility. A standard type scoped up mauser with a reasonable contour for caliber barrel is going to be at least 8 pounds in walnut or similar.

OP:
A mauser action would be great for a 9.3 x 62. I have plans for one myself using a VZ-24 action. I am not up on LW contours, but I was leaning towards a Douglas #4 (.650" muzzle) and everyone says a #3(.625") would suit it better. The #3 is about 3 pounds @ 24" but the bigger the hole through it the lighter it will be.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:

Mauser 98's can be made light, but at what cost, financially and in versatility. A standard type scoped up mauser with a reasonable contour for caliber barrel is going to be at least 8 pounds in walnut or similar.

I figure 3 lbs for the action (w/ steel bottom metal), 2 lb barrel, 2 lb walnut stock. For 7 lbs sans scope.

My 9.3x62 weighs 6.5 lbs with 25.6" barrel.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just weighed my lightest mauser. This is a large ring 98 with hinged alloy guard, toothpick stock, Leupold STD Extra high set, Leupold Vari-XIIc 3-9 40mm, and a 24" Mark X barrel in 30-06. It comes in at 7.65 pounds and 8.00 exactly loaded with 5 rounds.

The alloy guard weighs next to nothing alongside a steel unit. There are much lighter scopes and mounts than I am using and I am sure that at least a full pound could be shaved using a lighter and shorter barrel.

This same gun with a regular sporting rifle stock and steel bottom metal would easily gain no less than a pound, putting it at 8-1/2 pounds. That should be a good weight for a 9.3 x 62, heavy enough but not a log to drag through the woods.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Airgun1, I can't say that I am concerned with whether you believe me or not, that is your choice. I will tell you that the barrel is a McGowen #3 contour(.625 @ muzzle) that is mostly bore. It has Kimber bases on it and I put the rifle in a takeoff Whitworth stock that I took off of a MK X in .270. It is a very light piece of European walnut. There have been no attempts to lighten it up, it is a FN comm. Lg ring, it has a MK X TG. I have the barrelled action on the bench after recently adding a qtr rib to it. The only thing I have to weigh it with is an RCBS trigger pull gauge and with guard on, it comes in at 5 lb 2 oz.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not questioning your honor. I just wanted the details. A .625" muzzle on a 416 is a soda straw as I suspected. That European walnut is very light as is my toothpick stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info. Thanks to all who responded. My all up weight will be between 10.5 and 11lbs. This will work fine for me as I'm used to carrying a rifle of that weight. It will be very comfortable to shoot too. As I'm not over fond of recoil I tend to run heavyish rigs.

Thanks

G