Find
Notify
Tools

Exhibition Soroka 07 pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grenadier:
Is it meaningful to compare the strength of a 100 year old rifle designed to shoot 45,000psi cartridges to a modern Soroka designed to shoot 65,000psi cartridges?

I would say yes. Some people like their high grade single shots chambered in modern high intensity rounds.
As much as one might like to own an old Gibbs Farq,..Clearly the old receivers are not up to the task as well as a Soroka. , Technological advancement sensibly rules over pure nostalgia.

For example, should I denounce the strength of this 100 year old Rigby designed to shoot .450 3-1/4", a 44,000psi cartridge, because it is too weak to shoot the .458 Lott, a 62,000psi cartridge?

One should not condemn the 100yr old rifle for its limitations, but rather just acknowledge the limitations inherent in them, realising that there are horses for courses,.. that the Soroka is definitely better suited to some tasks.

Like Soroka is based on a modified improved design [Farq],....HartmannWeiss also base their gun builds on a modified-improved design, i.e.; Beesley and Boss-Robertson,
..small but significant changes in materials and design that improve wear resistance,function and reliability of the weapon;

- Many of their self openers have springs built into the cocking rods and safety sears, eliminating parts and screws...

- At the junction where their U/O ejectors cam on the action, hardened steel insert prevents wear, they also modified the Boss single trigger turret to make it easier to disassemble,...where possible they use roller tips on mainsprings, eliminating the breakage prone tumbler link.

In effect H&W can build a Beesley design actioned gun with Boss triggers and H&H Sthgate extractors.

...all in order to offer the best in style and mechanical design.

It was companies like H&W, WR and Fabbri that pioneered the use of CNC in the high end gun trade.

When talking materials,design,strength,reliability,function and workmanship, custom guns/rifles of today[selectively] are the best they have ever been.

There is no way in the world that I would prefer an old English Single shot, double or bolt rifle, over what is being currently produced by a handful of skilled&talented producers including the likes of Soroka,HartmannWeiss,Echols,Peter Nelson,M.Hagn,R.Martini....

The current version of Hagn falling block is also the result[evolvement] of a series of improvements in design, over the older Heeren action.

It will also be a joyous day if Soroka ever get to producing a smaller-lighter frame version of its receiver.

Joe Smithson went to the trouble to create some new handcrafted-fully bench made, Daniel Frazer patent design actions:

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Glenn,
I will try to get some good pictures of the lever this weekend.
It really is almost imperceptable - only by rocking a straight edge over the lever or guard can you feel the contour. In fact, there is a portion of the interface where it looks and feels like the lever surface goes a little convex and the guard is slightly concave. Weired.
My impression is that there is just enough curvature that any light is blocked from coming between them.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding piece of work! tu2

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Stunning is the word.

This rifle in a century`s time will be revered much like the current many years old rifles of today that are considered the rifle gods.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well in my humble opinion its a magnificent action and rifle Glenn, hats off to you for sticking to your dream and bringing the shooting world your design...its a better place for it and Im sure will be compared against many a fine rifle decades from now, Best or not.

My only complaint and its purely a personal one based on aesthetics: I really dont like the styling of the quarter rib and find the rear sight clunky. Immensely practical Im sure but to my eye both features jar against the graceful flowing lines of the lever, trigger guard etc. If I had 25K spare would I own one though...yep!!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it. Further proof the pinnacle in gunmaking & engraving exists today.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Soroka, I am in awe...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply stunning!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you have a mechanism properly designed for CNC manufacture there is no amount of hand work that can match the precision. There may be a lot of people that think so but invariably they are loaded up with opinion and little first hand experience with the best CNC work or what it takes to make something by hand.
There are simply many designs manufactured on CNC equipment today that could not be manufactured at any cost 50 years ago much less 75 or 100 years ago.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Trax,
totally agree on the build quality of the Hartmann & Weiss actions. Having previously owned numerous London and Birmingham guns, I'm staggered by my current H&W; truly bespoke and hand made.
Peter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Glenn has achieved a better rifle then the originals. While haveing the eye appeal of the old rifles the new rifle is stronger ( modern materials ), tolerances are closer (CNC isnt used on spacecraft parts for no reason) and fit and finsh at least match the old rifles if not better it. These rifles are true works of art and I would guess that decades from now gunwriters will write that Glenn Soroka built a better mousetrap.
Having spoken with Glenn several times at the shows I know that he is very passionate about his product and the workmanship that goes into these rifles. They are true works of art and I wish I could afford to own a few.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to know how much that beautiful rilfe in my favourite cal(300H&H) will set me back??

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote