THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need some Advice on a SAKO build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some Advice on a SAKO build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up an early SAKO Forester 243 that dates to 1958, L57 factory heavy barrel in a crappy Bell & Carlson stock for $300. Metal is minty as is bore and for the price I couldn't resist picking it up. Im not into varmit style benchrest rifles, so I was thinking a heavy sporter type build. Classic style stock and optics. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated as this is my first SAKO and first bull barrel

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
What's your budget?
You should be feeling elation with a tinge of guilt for what you gave for the rifle so a respectable budget is in order.
The sky is the limit on what you could spend for a nice stick and someone to do it justice but if you spend moderatly you should be able to have something worthy made for $1800-$2500.
Top it with a used Swarovski 3-10 and you can save a few bucks and have quality optics that suit the combo perfectly.

Have fun with your project and please post pics when you're done.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first!
I have changed directions on projects by shooting the impending "donor", it may impress you so greatly that you may want to only re stock it or stock it and turn down or flute the barrel.
Or it may "tell you" that it needs a new barrel right off the bat.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Shoot it first!
I have changed directions on projects by shooting the impending "donor", it may impress you so greatly that you may want to only re stock it or stock it and turn down or flute the barrel.
Or it may "tell you" that it needs a new barrel right off the bat.

Shot it yesterday using hornady match and the crappy 3-9 tasco and even worse aluminum weaver mounts at 90 yards and got a 5 shot .388 group. it shoots.
I'd like to do as much work as I can do myself, which would be bluing and inletting, ect.
Would a nice classic sporter style stock look out of place with a huge thick barrel?
Last thing I want is some wil laminate or black F-class style stock

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes it sounds like it shoots!
If you really can't stomach the thick tube send it to someone and have that barrel re contoured. It may still shoot when you are done with it.
Then stock it as a sporter.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice rifle. Check your PMs...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote