New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x57 for Roger Vardy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yeah...I know...6x57 is just another way of saying 6mm Remington...Something about Aussies, I guess! The metal wok was done by Nathaniel Myers and features a duplicate barrel to be later used when he original wears out. Some mis communication resulted in the removal of the scope mount recoil abutment. The dowel serves the need, though Roger doesn't like the looks. I also shortened the bolt handle about 1/4" Sorry, Nathaniel!

The wood, of course, is Roger Vardy's usual prime quality that easily took 26 LPI chekering. The stock "design" is Vardy, but I had no issue in following his direction. Note the cranky to install buttplate by Mac Farland. Roger Kehr did the lettering, apparently an Australian engraver will detail the bolt knob...You might call this a rifle a committee effort

As I write his, I just received a fitted luggage case from John Fallon of WI. Looks good, I'll try and post photos later

Posts: 3488 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about everyone else around here, but I was starting to feel a little bit sick. It seems like it has been so long since somebody showed a nice new custom rifle on this forum, and it was causing the custom rifle blues. We are so very lucky on this forum to be able to get our custom rifle fix.

So thank you Mr. Wiebe for showing this beautiful rifle. Very very fine.

Just wondering which mauser action that is.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
edited: Very nice detail work as usual. The protruding pin and corresponding notch in the scope base is nicely done. A little less proud of the side of the scope base with the pin might be an improvement. But, tastes differ from gun nut to gun nut.
Love the whole package and the wood character....wow!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5150 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought a lot of wood from Roger and have been really pleased with it.
He has been very easy to deal with.
Great looking rifle Duane.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle! thanks for sharing photos!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful as usual. Love the lines. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about everyone else around here, but I was starting to feel a little bit sick. It seems like it has been so long since somebody showed a nice new custom rifle on this forum, and it was causing the custom rifle blues. We are so very lucky on this forum to be able to get our custom rifle fix. So thank you Mr. Wiebe for showing this beautiful rifle. Very very fine.

+1. Lovely piece.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you build the toe on the butt plate. Nice touch.

Posts: 1137 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Spectacular looking rifle.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Did you build the toe on the butt plate. Nice touch.
No ... that's a Mac Farland idea. Real PIA to install

Posts: 3488 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I like it...a lot. First centerfire rifle I ever bought for myself was a 6mm Rem. Superior in all ways except availability to the 243 Win.

Duane, the subtle evolution of your stock design over the past 20 years is remarkable. The perfect blend of American classic and old world timeless. It’s the penultimate of form and function. You’re an American treasure. Yes I’m biased.

I can’t make out the markings on the action. Give us some details. Very nice work Nathaniel.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my ignorance.

I know there is a ton of work in that scope base, but why didn’t you scrap it instead of the pin?

I agree with the above statement that your gunsmithing is sublime and I am a huge fan. Each completed rifle you post is better than the last and I hope to own one day.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
If the "mis-communication" wasn't the customer's fault, why isn't someone making him a new scope base?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10077 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work for a committee!

Posts: 1071 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:

I know there is a ton of work in that scope base, but why didn’t you scrap it instead of the pin?

I agree with the above statement that your gunsmithing is sublime and I am a huge fan. Each completed rifle you post is better than the last and I hope to own one day.

Like you said...a ton of work and at the end of my rope with this and other issues not to mention missing parts. Time to cut losses and move along.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, the metal just went through too many hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Like you said...a ton of work and at the end of my rope with this and other issues not to mention missing parts. Time to cut losses and move along.

Forrest: Maybe Roger can tell us about the action...I can't read it, seems to be of high quality and Roger Kehr did recut the partly polished out lettering...perfect match!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could remove the pin and re-shape the hole to a half dovetail. Then fashion a filler that would serve as the stop. Flush on the sides and far enough above the top surface to provide a positive stop. Neatly fitted and blued it would blend in well.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Posts: 3695 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been through that ordeal on a few occasions. It makes me appreciate why many builders eventually start refusing to do piece work or joint projects. It's especially frustrating when you're the last stop before completion.
I like the roll pin though. Maybe you'll start a new trend Smiler Beautiful rifle as always!!

[/QUOTE] you said...a ton of work and at the end of my rope with this and other issues not to mention missing parts. Time to cut losses and move along.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, the metal just went through too many hands.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If Roger decides he doesn't want the rifle, I'll take it! Big Grin

Don't know if I will ever get a decent stick from him again if I do however!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
I've been through that ordeal on a few occasions. It makes me appreciate why many builders eventually start refusing to do piece work or joint projects. It's especially frustrating when you're the last stop before completion.
I like the roll pin though. Maybe you'll start a new trend Smiler Beautiful rifle as always!!

you said...a ton of work and at the end of my rope with this and other issues not to mention missing parts. Time to cut losses and move along.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, the metal just went through too many hands.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

A very delicate issue for all professionals that do work for people. The client wants a specific piece of work done. The professional offers custom work. How does that transaction get done? What happens when the professional and the client disagree about the means to be used to accomplish the client's objectives? Just what work is included in a flat fee agreement? Should there be a refund from a flat fee agreement if the client does not receive what she wanted? Very interesting!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meant that there was a good research and trial of the 6x57 earlier, Germany was thinking on it as a millitary cartridge,but it went nowhere .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see the softened look of the engraving and also the purple hue on the (hardened?) pin stop on the scope base.

Duane: Is it too late to remove & shorten the pin & reinstall? I love the pin idea over the factory base with the raised square stop. Better/softer profile.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5150 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I had put it in my small caustic bluing tank..probably wasn't hot enough. Pin is a push fit right now

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The main focus isn't the pin on the front base pin of the mount instead it's the perfectly inletted twin barrel feature, which can be seen in the precision of the inletting in the photo above. It has a screw underneath the rear sight this applies even pressure to the inletting and forend. The distance between all of the screws is the same to ensure even pressure.

I have found over the years that if you fully inlet light-weight barrels and if the inletting is done correctly that they will shoot more accurately than free-floating barrels. The other advantage of having a fully bedded rifle is that when in rainy conditions the water won't get into the action or underneath the barrel itself.

As the rifle has been tested with both barrels glassed into a test stock with each shooting in less than inch groups using factory loads. While I'd like to show a photo of this feature I can't however if Duane would like to put a photo underneath the stock that would be appreciated.

The precision of the inletting helped by the quality of the walnut that is stabilized by natural drying, with the rule of thumb being three years to dry the wood to a usable moisture content (for furniture use, not gunstocks), my blanks are stabilised for an additional five to six years, this particular blank was cut in 1983. This blank will not shift regardless of the conditions it encounters.

Here is an example of good inletting which hasn't moved or shifted, these are 1909 Argentine Carbines note that the barrels have been seperated from the stocks since the 1980s and the fit on the stock is still perfect. These are over one hundred years old and still serviceable.

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Vardy:

The main focus isn't the pin on the front base pin of the mount instead it's the perfectly inletted twin barrel feature, which can be seen in the precision of the inletting in the photo above. It has a screw underneath the rear sight this applies even pressure to the inletting and forend. The distance between all of the screws is the same to ensure even pressure.

I have found over the years that if you fully inlet light-weight barrels and if the inletting is done correctly that they will shoot more accurately than free-floating barrels. The other advantage of having a fully bedded rifle is that when in rainy conditions the water won't get into the action or underneath the barrel itself.

As the rifle has been tested with both barrels glassed into a test stock with each shooting in less than inch groups using factory loads. While I'd like to show a photo of this feature I can't however if Duane would like to put a photo underneath the stock that would be appreciated.

The precision of the inletting helped by the quality of the walnut that is stabilized by natural drying, with the rule of thumb being three years to dry the wood to a usable moisture content (for furniture use, not gunstocks), my blanks are stabilised for an additional five to six years, this particular blank was cut in 1983. This blank will not shift regardless of the conditions it encounters.

Here is an example of good inletting which hasn't moved or shifted, these are 1909 Argentine Carbines note that the barrels have been seperated from the stocks since the 1980s and the fit on the stock is still perfect. These are over one hundred years old and still serviceable.

Looks great Roger!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote