New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cascade Gunworks ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was out exploring opportunities for a new gun range today and found a new gun store in the process. Lots of nice stuff. Mostly high end shotguns but a few collectible and/or custom rifles.

In particular, I found a .250 Savage built by Cascade Gunworks. It appears to be an old Kimber of Oregon 84 action although original markings are gone and a Cascade logo in their place. It has the old style Warne bases but no rings. Nice walnut sporter stock with fleur-de-lis pattern. The only thing I don't love is that the barrel is a bit heavy...like a number four or five. I have no idea what the twist is.

Has anyone ever owned a Cascade Gunworks custom? What did it cost new? What did you think of it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cascade Arms is owned and operated by Butch Weyand of Pine Grove, OR. Yes, the action is the old Kimber 84. Have known Butch for many years and he is still in business. Lives just 30 miles from me. Butch is an member of the former Kimber "employee association". Patent and copyright for that action belong to him via agreement with the Warne's a long time ago.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, is the action a Kimber or is it an action he manufactures based on an agreement with Warne? Do you know what barrels he uses?
Thanks,
Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, Does Cascade Arms have a web site? I had booked mark one in the pass but it is no longer working. I think a dealer in PA was buying up all of his rifles. The Outdoorsman maybe?

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Butch about that some time ago. I am not sure if that relationship is still viable. No he doesn't have a website. He is word of mouth only.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mmfreak, the action is the Kimber 84 action. Butch was owed money for work done and the Warnes paid him with the 84 proprietary rights and patents. No, I am not aware of which barrel maker he is using at the moment. I know that he has used Wilson, McGowen, Pac-Nor, and Douglas over the past 22 years.
I'm not privy to inside information. He has just been a friend for many years.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dennis. I'll go take another look at it this weekend.
Keith